Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-01-19, 6:48pm
No Longer an LE Member

Default Experiments Gone Awry

I was viewing all the lovely beads in the Gallery today, thinking about all my beads that I think are so horrible from attempts to come up with "something" new and I got to thinking perhaps we need a thread on beads we don't like because we think an experimenet failed. Showing a picture of it and how we got it to that point, perhaps would save others from making the same mistake we did. Like last night I was "experimenting" with iris silver green frit stringers designs on various colors of Effetre/vetrofond glass - to flash in reduction flame to get SILVER. Well in the experiment I decided never to use Dark pink again, as it's being flashed in RF cause the pink to go to a yellowish look. I also decided that while Vetrofond Ocean came out of the flame OK and look pretty - the glass did not "segment" (like the purples do and opal yellow does) and so the silver green did not spread or have the effect that was more intreiguing like the purples did.

So what do you think of such a thread ?
Old 2006-01-19, 7:19pm
Covered in glitter

Sounds great! It might save us all from those 'experiments'! I've done so little torching that I don't know what does what yet. It would be a real help to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-01-19, 7:29pm
Eight Miles Wide

i would love to see a thread like this! everything i do turns out wonky; i often "tune out" while making a bead, but if i can figure out what i did, i may even be able to post and *gasp* help others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-01-20, 12:18am
The Crazy One

A big grin on an aardvark is not a good thang.....
Old 2006-01-20, 4:26am

I don't have the bead anymore to show but I once tried (don't laugh at me) aluminum foil on a bead. EWWWWWWW! Hey I was just wondering. Afterall Silver, Copper, and Gold work so well......alunimum doesn't. So just in case you were thinking of trying it, don't bother it is really bad.....
Old 2006-01-20, 6:43am
Jane of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond bead designs
I don't have the bead anymore to show but I once tried (don't laugh at me) aluminum foil on a bead. EWWWWWWW! Hey I was just wondering. Afterall Silver, Copper, and Gold work so well......alunimum doesn't. So just in case you were thinking of trying it, don't bother it is really bad.....
See, you just saved me some time as I was thinking about it!!

On my side, I tried to add some of those glass colored rhinestones...though it would do like zirconias.....not! they melted fast and turned muddy. Too bad as the colors were great!

Denise
Old 2006-01-20, 6:50am
-boring beads-

Hehe...same here...and I can tell ya...melting money to put it into a bead doesn´t work...no matter what currency...*g*....

Furthermore...encasing a rock doesn´t work either...

Decoration sand or so called glass nuggets from floristic stores are NO glass...but usually plastic...at least in my case...it burnt of and started to stink horribly...*g*...

Nails, pins and screws are also not suitable to be put into a bead...

And so on...some of my stupid beginner mistakes...well, not soooo long ago...and there were more...*g*

Anastasia
Old 2006-01-20, 8:56am
tweetysweetie

You don't really, really expect me to be able to show you anything, do you girlfriend???? You know I don't do any trash work, lol...

Actually this is an awesome suggestion and I'll see what garbage I come up with today at the torch(I do have something everyday, everyday ). It's good to see you posting more!!
Catharine

Old 2006-01-29, 1:05pm
tweetysweetie

I think this is a great thread and more of you need to "fess up"....I want to hear about failures and frolicking ideas........ok, I'm sharing this one but will NOT tell you how I know this (be quiet DC )..lol

Styrofoam.....and I don't care how many layers of bead realease its' dipped in, does NOT need to be near a flame.....it is a very, very dangerous (can kill you type of thing!) manuever.

Old 2006-01-29, 1:15pm

I tried emeralds, since CZ's look so lovely. I got some for a cheap price at a gem show, figuring how cool would that be, and I don't think I've seen anyone do that before. There's a reason - They literally blew out the sides of the bead as it cooled.

Sticking to my CZ's...
Nikki

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-01-29, 1:22pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia
Nails, pins and screws are also not suitable to be put into a bead...
So NOW you tell me. LOL! That's what I did last night. Nails. With balls of glass on the end, embedded in a vessel. And a bead. I think the technique has some promise, but not with nails. Today I'll try copper wire instead.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-01-29, 1:32pm

Quote:
You know, I had luck with this. I wraped aluminum foil strips around a trans drk violet and encased it very light trans violet.

It looks cool

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2006-01-29, 2:26pm
-boring beads-

Hehe, Tink..I told you more than a week ago....lol...

Evenia...of course I tried aluminium foil, too...usually it started to create bubbles...but mine were in an ugly brownish-greyish-whatever color...(like foam in a cesspool....ewwww). I had one that looked cool, with turquoise..looked like some underwater world...but it cracked...

Anybody ever tried to melt lava? I had it glowing, but it turned into glowing crumbles...even when put into a hollow...it turned into crumbles...no way...lol

Anastasia
Old 2006-01-29, 6:36pm
No Longer an LE Member

Well I made some clear hollow beads and thought how neat to stuff them with aluminum foil - Not. In crimping up the aluminum to get inside the holes, it was so crushed there was no sparkle left to shine through the clear.
Old 2006-01-29, 6:59pm
Cheep, cheep, cheep!

Why don't you try putting some shimmery confetti inside one of your hollows, I bet that would look awesome!

Dana
Old 2006-01-29, 9:46pm

Quote:
I tried fusing it inbetween clear glass. I came out partially burned to black, but some did stay silver. Interesting effect.

Ca7 steal list: 24, 34, 43