No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-06-23, 7:52am

Angry Fustrating Problem

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem. I'm getting black streaks on my beads. I am a newbie for sure but the first few I made didn't have a problem with black streaks. Just to test again I tried to make a plain white bead. Talk about ugly. I have a beginners set up with Fireworks torch.

Thanks in advance
Old 2016-06-23, 9:01am
Phill

Work further out from the flame.

The black is soot from unburnt fuel so the glass is not far enough from the brass cone to let the fuel burn properly.

Most folks have this problem when first starting out.

The first 5 beads are great and then your mind starts getting interested in what is going on with the molten glass and it is very easy to begin to think it needs to be closer to the flame to get more heat into it so it moves just that little bit faster.

Beads 6 through 12 leave you wondering what has changed to start getting the black smut mixed in.

Beads 13 through 20 are what you make while you wait for your two gas torch to arrive in the mail.

Some use white glass to practice melting to find the sweet spot just outside of the blue cone where it is hot enough to melt the glass without getting the soot on it.

If you do some searches for the word "soot" and / or "unburnt" you will find all kinds of discussions about others just getting started in this addiction.

By the way another search for "fireworks torch" will point to conversations about how much some folks hate that particular torch and some of the problems they have had with it.
Old 2016-06-23, 9:22am

Default Thank You So Much

Your right on all counts and I am looking into a hot head torch. Thanks for the useful info.

Debra - in bright sunny Syracuse, NY
Old 2016-06-23, 11:53am

Phill is right (as usual)

HH torch will give you the same headache, may be it is a bit easier to prevent this dirt in your beads but as soon as you move just a bit closer to the blue cone - here it is, this lovely organic black thing.

There are some really patient and talented artists who managed to learn how to avoid this and do fantastic things using one gas torch but 2 gas torch is easier, faster and cleaner. If you decide that this addiction is yours, start saving for the 2 gas setup.

For HH the following rule worked for me - the smallest possible stable flame and at 1"-1 1/2 inch (approximately) above the visible blue cone, in the invisible part of the flame. But even in this case some sensitive glasses (periwinkle opalino, for example) got those greyish dirty spots.
Old 2016-06-23, 1:00pm
Slogan Challenged...

I worked on an HH for 2 years before I could afford to upgrade from an HH to an oxy/propane torch (some call them dual fuel). If you stay on it that long, or you really enjoy it and want to stay with it and can afford another torch and all that goes with it, go for it! But, it is not necessary. Some folks do make the Hothead work for them, and stay with it and do some beautiful work. See the thread Calling all Hothead Users, Loud and Proud, and similar things for posts on that)

As Phil suggested, pay attention to your positioning as it can shift over time as you get used to it. But most folks can't work with the knock offs, including that horrible fireworks torch and will at least have a HotHead. They are not without problems also but there is a warranty and customer service is terrific. It should save you a lot of aggro.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2016-06-23 at 1:03pm.
Old 2016-06-23, 7:56pm
Phill

Set up your lighting so you can see the blue cone clearly.

Some set a dark tile or dark cookie sheet FLAT on the bench beyond the torch to give the flame enough contrast.

Some use a white sheet of paper and often add the word "Blink" to it because you can get so involved that you forget to blink and your eyes can get dry and irritated.

I tried demonstrating bead making outside once and could barely see the flame.

Wound up burning the snot out my thumb knuckle. Hurt like hell.

I am still surprised there is absolutely no evidence left of my stupidity from that particular brainstorm.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-06-24 at 6:55am.
Old 2016-06-24, 4:40am

I have used a hot head for 8 years now. You just have to get to know the flame and understand how it works. work further out. Eventually you will be able to 'feel' the flame. once you find that sweet spot it will work for you. also i always refill my tanks rather than swapping out. I know my tanks are clean.

i torch on an enclosed back porch and outside at demos.

SRA #C88

Old 2016-06-24, 2:54pm

also, always wipe your glass before use. It is amazing how quickly it get oily from handling

Old 2016-06-27, 8:30pm

When I was on a single fuel torch I was using the 1lb propane or mapp cannisters. If you get down to the bottom of the canister the fuel seems to be dirtier, it might just be time to switch cannisters.
Old 2016-06-28, 10:05am

The cost of the mapp gas seamed for me at least to make a hot head less efficient over time.