Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

View Poll Results: Seated or Standing
Seated 42 67.74%
Standing 20 32.26%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-15, 7:42am

Default Seated or Standing

I am setting up my studio again and am trying to decide if I should work seated or standing. In my previous setup I was seated but thought I might look into standing instead. So my question is how do you torch on your feet or on your seat.
Old 2012-03-15, 8:13am
Loving learning

Both. I have a high (like bar stool height) adjustable height chair that I use most of the time, but sometimes I just stand. (My work surface is a door on top of some base cabinets I was given, so kitchen counter height)
Old 2012-03-15, 8:23am

I do both. I have a desk that my DH raised up with 2x4s and I have an adjustable chair. If I get tired of sitting I stand. If I am pulling twisties/canes I can easily stand up and my chair rolls back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-15, 8:51am
GabysGlassWorks

I sit but would like to have the option of standing as well. The table I am working at right now is temporary and I think I will get my DH to build my table up higher and get an adjustable chair.

Old 2012-03-15, 9:37am

I stand 100% of the time. I'm pretty short and had a bench custom built ($50 from a dude on craigslist). My first class they had bar stools that were really painful, so I started standing and never quit. I don't have shoulder or elbow/wrist problems either and I think standing helps that.

There is a bar stool in there for me to sit on during breaks (or a good scene on the tv).

I tend to torch in 2-3 hour sessions and I definitely sit down for half an hour afterwards.
Old 2012-03-15, 1:13pm
Sam I Am

Both my studio is set up with a tall table so you can sit or stand. Picture's in the studio http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207500
I have comfortable bar height chairs,they swivel and have backs. The 1st place I taught had some big wooden hard on your arse ones there were losts of complaints about those lesson learned. My beadmakers seem to prefer sitting and the boro people like to stand. Me I do both when the day gets long and if I'm standing I can move a little.
Sam

Old 2012-03-15, 3:19pm

I stand--no shoulder or neck problems.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-03-15, 4:42pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I do everything standing, including sewing. I sit all day at work, so the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit some more. Plus I think I have more control standing.

L-111

Old 2012-03-15, 5:44pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I sit most of the time on a tractor seat stool with a back rest without rollers that I modified to be higher than when purchased. I've had several stools/chairs scoot out from under me when on rollers. I have a similar seat stool with rollers that I use at my desk so I can scoot around the studio when I need/want to. My bench is at a height that I can do both sitting and standing; sort of in between height.

I found it impossible to buy a chair or stool that doesn't come with casters/rollers so I modified mine.
Old 2012-03-15, 6:59pm
I'm meeeeelting

Both. Put your table in at standing height and get an adjustable chair.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-03-15, 8:15pm

I voted standing but we need a box for both, with my back issues I have to alternate plus it depends on what I am doing as well

#C-151
Old 2012-03-17, 10:54am

I stand 98% of the time - I have a stool, but it seldom gets used. I am tall [5'10"] so my bench is about 41" high. I make a lot of very large stuff and I find that being able to move around just works better. I tend to feel constricted when I am sitting.

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2012-03-17, 4:45pm
balanced but asymmetrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
Both. Put your table in at standing height and get an adjustable chair.
I think that this is really good advice.

Old 2012-03-28, 10:11pm

Another vote for both.

Nikki

Old 2012-04-13, 5:29pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

So this isn't a peeing poll, right?

I torch both standing and sitting. I have a drafting stool and a high workbench so I can torch both ways.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-04-13, 5:55pm
Made in the Shade

Mostly I sit, but I have a standing height table so I can stand if I want to. I have a tall adjustable chair.