Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-03-14, 12:36pm
J R Hooper

Default FosterFire Bead Release

My wife grabbed a tub of this stuff the last time we went to the glass place and I didn't see it until we got home. Not sure what is going on with it, but I stirred it up and if I look at it funny, it cracks on me. I tried flame drying it, and it doesn't seem to matter how slow I take it, it cracks. I made a couple of spacers to see what happens when it does dry and got spinners...
I've got about ten mandrels in the studio that are air drying now that I'm going to see if they do any better but I've got a feeling it's going to be a crap shoot with this stuff. Should I dump it down the sink and try to revive my twenty year old sludge, or is there some magic spell I can wrought on this stuff? Is it just a matter of air drying it? I wanted to get the blue sludge but didn't want to scold her for buying the wrong brand, I think it was the only release they had at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-03-14, 2:32pm

Robin Foster is a member here, so ask her about it. She can probably help you troubleshoot it. Lots of people use it; it is a good product. Her forum name is FosterFire
Old 2024-03-15, 2:14am
J R Hooper

Thanks! I sent her a PM this morning. I'm going to be training the wife this summer and want her to have as smooth an experience as possible. It's been a LONG time since I've made beads, but one thing I do remember is that stuck beads are a heart breaker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-03-15, 11:21am
Slogan Challenged...

So are spinners! I had spinners all day yesterday and finally quit. ugh

You can reconstitute your sludge. I love sludge. I mix mine with various things and sometimes it takes fine tuning, but the key is to really REALLY mix it well. and then tap on the table to get the bubbles out. And dip more mandrels than you need......LOL

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2024-03-16, 8:12pm
Fried Cat

Love Fosterfire. It’s one of the consistent products out there. I’ve used several and it doesn’t matter how good they are, if I try to flame dry, and overwork it or abuse it… it cracks.
Old 2024-03-16, 9:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Love Fosterfire. It’s one of the consistent products out there. I’ve used several and it doesn’t matter how good they are, if I try to flame dry, and overwork it or abuse it… it cracks.
Agree! I am not a fan of flame drying.
Old 2024-03-16, 11:21pm
Fried Cat

Since it’s been years since you made beads, is it possible you are lifting or dragging the glass across the release when you’re laying your footprint? If the bead is cool, and your rod is stuck and you pull, it will also break.
Old 2024-03-18, 7:22am
J R Hooper

I had about ten mandrels, five of which I tried to flame dry really gently, and they cracked before I got to put any glass on them. The other five I let air dry until the next day, and they actually turned out alright. I had one of those that cracked on me while making the bead, not sure what went wrong with that one but the release cracked towards the tip of the mandrel but it didn't get as far as the glass so the bead came off alright.

Looks like air drying is the way to go with this stuff, even the most gentle flame drying seemed to make it extremely brittle and I couldn't flame dry it all without issues. The air dried ones all came off really easy. I was also able to reconstitute the ancient jug of sludge I had, it literally took a couple days to do it, but it flame dried just fine.