Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2016-01-17, 7:22pm

Default Quick connect question.

Is it safe to put a quick connect on the hose that attaches to the propane tank outside? The reason why I ask is because I run my house through the window. When I am done torching, I go outside... Unhook the hose from the propane talk and put the house back inside. It would be so much easier to take it on and off with a quick connect. The oxy tank is inside.
Old 2016-01-17, 7:44pm

That is what I do
Old 2016-01-17, 8:37pm
Phill

Your local welding shop should be able to give you the reassurance that it is a safe thing to do.

If they don't sell the quick connect fittings and rate them for use with propane and or acetylene then I would pass on the idea.

But I would still go outside to shut off the bottle valves in all weather and not rely on the quick connectors to not leak with a bottle of gas pressure pushing to get through them.

If you do the shut off valves faithfully then putting quick connectors at a break point in your houses near the window should be safe enough.

The safety training guy in my background wants to hear that you will be doing the soap bubble check thing every time you connect them because it is a connection point of a very explosive gas after all but it is only a simple task and a spray bottle of soapy water and a hand towel parked at the window can make it something done every time without any real effort.
Old 2016-01-18, 12:38am

This is a safe and common practice. Note that if you have more than one burner, you can find both the male and female sections of the quick disconnect separately.

This is a good place to shop, or at least to find prices for comparison:
https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...NDEF::::PJ#J08

With regard to the previous post, Western Enterprises and Victor quick disconnects are designed for gas and oxygen use and meet CGA and OSHA standards. However, I cannot be more specific about the CGA standards because I just tried to find the applicable pamphlet and could not, and there is a charge for accessing their documents.

Note that torch-to-hose means that there is a female "B" fitting on the outlet (torch) side and a male "B" fitting on the inlet (hose) side. A hose-to-hose means that there are male "B" fittings on both inlet and outlet sides. A hose-to-regulator configuration has a male "B" fitting on the outlet (hose) side and a female"B" fitting on the inlet (regulator) side. It is easy to get a hose nipple to "B" fitting adapter (about $3) and they come in either male "B" fitting to hose or female "B" fitting to hose configurations.

Here is some technical information from the Western Enterprises catalog:

QUICK-CONNECTS FOR WELDING EQUIPMENT
Western’s Quick Connects provide fast, reliable and positive connections and quick disconnections for torches, hoses and regulators. All models are color-coded for gas service for added safety (oxygen/green, fuel gas/red, inert gas/blue). Oxy/fuel gas models include integral reverse flow Check Valves. Quick Connects fit all B-size welding and cutting equipment.
• Brass construction provides long service life–cycle tested over 10,000 operations indicating a service life of 10 to12 years of comparable use
• Non-interchangeable Oxygen and Fuel Gas connectors prevent accidental gas mixing
• Instant closure on reverse flow Check Valves with total shutoff at only 10 oz. of back pressure
FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS:
• Exceed CGA flow specifications–1100 SCFH flow at 125 PSIG inlet pressure and 800 SCFH flow at 125 PSIG inlet pressure when 2 additional check valves are used in conjunction with the Quick Connects
• Spring loaded locking mechanism responds to fingertip action and achieves a gas-tight connection
• UL Listed
• For inert gas models, demand valve on supply side creates a positive seal when fitting is not connected
• Double seal socket connection on second seal provides added safety protection
• Installation and operating instructions included
• 200 psig maximum operating pressure

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2016-01-18 at 12:57am.
Old 2016-01-19, 7:58pm

Simple answer. Yes.
Old 2016-01-25, 1:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Anza Art Glass Club View Post
This is a safe and common practice. Note that if you have more than one burner, you can find both the male and female sections of the quick disconnect separately.

This is a good place to shop, or at least to find prices for comparison:
[url]https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?
Note that torch-to-hose means that there is a female "B" fitting on the outlet (torch) side and a male "B" fitting on the inlet (hose) side. A hose-to-hose means that there are male "B" fittings on both inlet and outlet sides. A hose-to-regulator configuration has a male "B" fitting on the outlet (hose) side and a female"B" fitting on the inlet (regulator) side. It is easy to get a hose nipple to "B" fitting adapter (about $3) and they come in either male "B" fitting to hose or female "B" fitting to hose configurations.
I'm not the OP, but this was hugely helpful to me today. Thanks for taking the time to share with everyone!
Old 2016-01-25, 2:25pm

I have recently found that for the hose nipple to "B" fitting adapters, some of the popular LE vendors have them in pairs at a better price.
http://www.sundanceglass.com/gas%20equipment-r.htm

I saw others, but can't find them right now. As I understand it, if you call places like Arrow Springs, they have the necessary fittings that aren't on their website.