LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2010-09-15, 2:31pm

Default B.A.B.E.

I am going to be the B.A.B.E. show. My first big show. I have a couple of questions, I hope those more experienced with this show can answer. First...I haven't made a room reservaton. I have stayed at the Marriott for classes. I about fainted when I got my parking bill. Has anyone found a less expensive place to stay, and a reasonable place to park all day?
2nd. I put pvc tubes on my table legs to boost the height. Can the tables at the show be elevated in this way or should I bring my own table. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-15, 3:42pm
da General

There are parking lots nearby that are less expensive than the Marriott - can't remember how much tho. Don't walk to your car by yourself late in the evening tho.

They provide different tables and some work well with PVC tubes but some don't - my friend Sadie used to use those but found that table risers are better in case she got a table that wouldn't work with PVC pipes. I don't believe they will let you bring your own table.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-09-16, 11:55am
"Sinners have soul too"

How did you manage to get into the show without a room reservation, the application I got said you needed a hotel confirmation to even apply.

And how much is the parking??
Now I'm nervous about having decided to drive up there.

Old 2010-09-16, 12:01pm
da General

Donna - I don't know about judeldee. It is only required if you are more than 50 miles away so we are exempt (San Francisco is about 12 miles from Oakland).

Parking was $21 or $22 a day back in May when we did the BSNC show. Nearby lots run about $10-15, I think. All street parking is free on Sunday.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2010-09-16 at 12:39pm.
Old 2010-09-16, 12:06pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh, gotcha. Yeah we are quite a bit further away than 50 miles $20 was about what I expected...

Old 2010-09-17, 8:34am

The stipulation was for over one table. If you have more than one table you have to stay at the Marriott. I probably will anyway. Thank you for the info everybody.

Old 2010-09-20, 4:39pm
too many rods in the fire

The Marriott does offer a "discounted" room rate if you are participating in the show. But the parking still sucks ($24 a day avg).

Here's a trick I learned a couple years ago, thanks to a dear friend who lives in Oakland.

Park at the BART station (I can't remember which one, but there is one in Oakland that is in the nice area of town - I will find out the name) and then take the BART back to the hotel - there is a BART stop right across the street from the Marriott. The parking at the BART was MUCH cheaper than at the hotel, and my vehicle was safe there for the whole three plus days when we were at the Gathering.

When it came time to check out, one of us took the BART over to pick up the car, and came back to load everything up at the hotel. Easy peasy.

Edited to add: I THINK the BART station is the Rockridge station, but I am still trying to get in touch with my buddy in Oakland who referred me...

Last edited by SassyGlass9; 2010-09-20 at 5:52pm.
Old 2010-11-04, 6:11pm

I park at a lot on 8th street for about $7.00.
Old 2010-11-05, 10:27am

Smile

Hey, with the parking money you save, be sure to check out on Friday morning, the farmers market just a block away from the Marriot! The TAMALES ARE TO DIE FOR!!! Sadly, I'll miss them again...... Great free "tastes" by many vendors also. OMG< and there is a guy that makes a pumpkin-peach pie out of this world!!

Have a great show and enjoy!

Old 2010-11-05, 10:37am
"Sinners have soul too"

There's no way I'd leave my car parked somewhere where I needed to take the BART to get to it to save a few dollars on parking, I really like my car and would like to keep it. I just chalk up the parking fees as part of doing the show. It does suck that you can go to a HoJo's and get free parking and free wifi for $50 a night and places like the Marriott charge you for 3-4x as much plus parking fees and a fee for wifi. Bogus.

Old 2010-11-05, 10:43am
Experimentalist

BTW, this is the new Broadway shuttle I mentioned a month or so ago. It's particularly good if you want to go to Jack London or something but don't want to give up a good parking spot.

http://oaklandnorth.net/2010/08/09/n...ises-downtown/

Old 2010-11-05, 11:35am
SierraCatz

I bite the bullet & park at the Marriott, as well as stay there. My feet are usually pooped at the end of the day and I prefer to have everything close & easy.....and when I am ready to break down..it's all right there!

See you at the show

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2010-11-05, 2:32pm
maybe tomorrow

Has everyone started to get your table assignments? It looks like things have been rearranged a bit and the full listing of everyone's space wasn't included this time.

I'm at table #712. Where are you?!

Old 2010-11-05, 2:43pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I'm at table 416... which pretty much means nothing to me since I've never done this show before... I'd love a little map or something so I can see how it's all laid out

Old 2010-11-05, 3:48pm
Experimentalist

I wish I had a map/chart of the place (or even just a list) of table numbers and LE names. ha ha ha! I know most of you only by your LE name.

Old 2010-11-05, 5:31pm

I am table 813! See you all there!!
Old 2010-11-05, 5:37pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
I'm at table 416... which pretty much means nothing to me since I've never done this show before... I'd love a little map or something so I can see how it's all laid out
If you haven't already received it, you should be getting a letter with the setup information and a map with your location noted. In the past, Trarie included a listing of everyone with their table numbers, but for some reason she didn't do that this time.

Old 2010-11-05, 6:10pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh.my.gosh! I got my letter from Trarie and I'm really scared now! This show is huge! Breathe in, breathe out...

Old 2010-11-05, 6:19pm
maybe tomorrow

You're turning blue!

Don't worry. It is usually a pretty good show. There are lots of glass workers, so the customers are pretty well educated about pricing.

And there are fun people scattered all over the place! You'll have a good time.

Old 2010-11-05, 6:39pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Toni
I don't think I've been this nervous about a show in a couple of years. Yipes!

I like educated, that does make me feel better.

Old 2010-11-05, 7:18pm
Bead Geek!

This is my first time attending a show like this and I hope to meet some of you in person! I can't wait to see everyone's work for real instead of just online...I'll try to not be a gushing fangirl but I just might ask for an autograph or two...

You must do the things you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt

-my blog (Don't be scared-go visit!)
Old 2010-11-05, 8:51pm
Oh, baby, I m'know...

I'm at table 609. Donna, you'll be fine. It's a fun weekend.

Old 2010-11-06, 10:25am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidis View Post
This is my first time attending a show like this and I hope to meet some of you in person! I can't wait to see everyone's work for real instead of just online...I'll try to not be a gushing fangirl but I just might ask for an autograph or two...
You'll have a great time! There is a lot of really great glass at this show. I wish I had time to wander, but it's probably safer to stay behind my table!

Old 2010-11-07, 1:10pm
Bead Geek!

Thanks Toni! I'm very excited...thinking about going will get me through work this week
I hope everyone exibiting has a great show and makes lots of sales-som will probably be from me! lol

You must do the things you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt

-my blog (Don't be scared-go visit!)
Old 2010-11-07, 2:32pm
da General

We are going to be at Table 711 - right next to Toni! Here comes trouble! lol!

Hope to see everyone!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-11-07, 4:59pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
We are going to be at Table 711 - right next to Toni! Here comes trouble! lol!

Hope to see everyone!
We may regret this yet!

Old 2010-11-10, 2:58pm

I will be in the Soft Flex booth (think we are tables 217 - 222?) - along the back wall as you enter.

If you missed the cutoff for the discounted rate at the Marriott where the show is, there is another Marriott across the street that I've stayed at before. Parking is still expensive (we park at the cheaper outside lots in the area), but free wi-fi and the rooms are pretty big - and you can normally find it on hotels.com if you use them a lot.

Will have some of my work and Dad's at Jiley's table.

See you all there!

Old 2010-11-11, 5:25am
Common Lurker

I'll be there... sharing booth 515 with Jeff Barber! Can't wait!

There is also a hotel across the street called The Washington Inn... nice place... it's an old building so the rooms are small, but clean and close. Don't think they have parking, but it's worth a call.

Old 2010-11-12, 9:12pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Just found out I'm sharing a table with Tom Boylan! My beads haven't seen the light of day for a long time now.... Got quite the stash to bring!! Now I have to last-minute pack!! I'm so excited!!!!!

Kelly

Old 2010-11-13, 12:09am

Polly Bettencourt of Dragon art glass will be there too, its her biggest show to date---I yhink, GO Polly! Wishing all of you good sales, and if you cant get to see he tere, come to the bead bazaar in santa cruz on nov 27th sponsored by Kiss My Glass but held at western design flooring on the frontage road near 41st. Well wishes to all of younat BABe!