Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-10-05, 7:29pm

Kristi,

If you are not buying right away then you will probably get a better machine because not only are they making them better but the cost seems to be dropping. I did make a flower out of boro - I'll post a picture - just to see if I could [both make it out of boro and do it with the generator]....but I would definitely use tanked oxy and the Cheeta if I really wanted to play with boro.

Barb
Attached Images

Old 2005-10-06, 4:35am
boro color bender

Barb, that is so cool. I had a picture of a flower I wanted to edit and post to show and tell... and your flower totally reminds me of it. I wonder if we made them on the same day???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-10-06, 5:08am

Brent,

I am so in love with that flower. I have been ignoring the boro because I am afraid if I acknowledge it's existence it will lure me over to the other side. I will be up for the Fall Festival so I'll get to watch you guys work with boro.

Barb
Old 2005-10-06, 7:36am

Default thank you for discussing this

Just wanted to thank all of you who are putting your constructive thoughts out there about concentrators/torches. From a HH user looking to upgrade, it's all pretty confusing. Here are a couple questions if you don't mind a new person asking about the level that most of you are now past.

1. If I purchase a concentrator and, say a minor or a mini cc, want to use 90-106 coe, what limitations do you think I'll face, in, say a year? In other words, will I find myself limited as to bead size mainly, speed of working, reducing capabilities, or primarily won't be able to graduate to boro work?

2. Any thoughts on specific concentrators working well with the minor?

I'd love to hear from those of you who have been working with the minor, can do fine detail, large (maybe 40 mm) focals, and don't have to spend an hour just to wait to melt. If this is not nicely feasible, any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help.
Vicki

Last edited by Vicki B.; 2005-10-06 at 9:39am.
Old 2005-10-06, 8:20am
<--- Time traveler

Vicki -
I'm guessing you mean 4 cm and not 40?
Old 2005-10-06, 9:41am

Default bead size

Oh - yes! How much of a new person am I? I meant 40 mm. Maybe I should just say 1.5" bicone or such.
Old 2005-10-06, 10:13am
<--- Time traveler

It's well within the capabilities of the Minor to make a 1.5" bicone. I have a bead over four inches long that I made on one. (Of course, I wouldn't want to do that every day, on ANY torch.) Many of the beadmakers who make larger beads stayed with the Minor for a long time. If you go with a Minor, Bobcat or Mini CC and one concentrator, you can stay with that for quite a while and when you want more heat, add another concentrator. That will hold you for a good while, and if you go to a bigger torch you'll need two concentrators (or the equivalent) anyway.

Here's another thing I don't think anyone's mentioned: these torches all hold their value very well. If you do decide at some point to move up, you'll be able to sell any of these torches pretty quickly in one of the various Garage Sale/Swap Shop forums, and you can get between 60-75% of your original investment back.

Courtney
Old 2005-10-06, 4:00pm
Wild at Heart!

Thanks Barb, that's good to know.. heh, heh,... wait long enought and the price goes down on everything except gas! If I had the extra cash, I'd buy it now. I"m just trying to be a good girl and not use credit cards

I love my minor.. I've made it SCREAM on tanked air. I did this a couple of years ago.. my first boro sculpture (so don't laugh) and it was too big for the kiln! I had to make it smaller.. It's about 9 or 10 inches tall. I was so proud when I made it and I look at it now and I'm embarassed.. guess I better get busy and try some more.

Beautiful flower.. I love you stuff..

Brent, I love your flower too.. what color glass is the stem?

Anyway.. just wanted to show you that a minor on tanked air can make som larger boro stuff too..
Attached Images

??

Last edited by KristiB; 2005-10-06 at 4:02pm.
Old 2005-10-06, 4:27pm

Kristi,

Why in the world would you be embarrassed - that is great. As much as I love soft glass there is nothing as compelling as boro.

I saved up for a year to get my generator and I really tried to justify paying so much money but I couldn't justify "x tanks = 1 generator" so I just had to accept that it was the convenience that I wanted.

Barb
Old 2005-10-06, 4:41pm
boro color bender

Kristi... that rocks! The stem on mine is double amber purple.

Thanks for the kind words Barb. I can't wait to work with you at the fall fling. It should be a hoot. I guess I'll bring my tent and torch again. We'll play for sure!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-10-06, 6:27pm
PyronamixK

Kristi, you boro piece looks very nice!

Brent and Barb, your flowers look cool, too. And it is funny that they do resemble each other in certian ways.

Just a quick note about concentrators/generators...

I played around with the Integra 10 and the Cheetah. I did a lot of soft glass beads of various sizes and some smallish boro stuff (like a 1.25" heart pendant) and had plenty of heat. I didn't try anything larger in boro. Willy made a 3.25" long mushroom bead out of soft glass without a hitch.

But I must say, that Millenium 10 custom did a good job at open torch at the Gathering and the cost was great. I believe Bill Brach now sells them.

The OGSI did a good job on the Cheetah at open torch, too. Anything that could power the Cheetah could easily power a Lynx.

One of these days, I am going to try hooking up two 10 liter machines to my Phantom - one for the inner fire and one for the outer. I'll give a report on my findings.
Old 2005-10-06, 9:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
But I must say, that Millenium 10 custom did a good job at open torch at the Gathering and the cost was great. I believe Bill Brach now sells them.

The OGSI did a good job on the Cheetah at open torch, too. Anything that could power the Cheetah could easily power a Lynx.

One of these days, I am going to try hooking up two 10 liter machines to my Phantom - one for the inner fire and one for the outer. I'll give a report on my findings.
Hi, Kimberly.

When you say that OGSI does a good job with the Cheetah, or you referring to the OG15 or another machine by OGSI?

Would you know if Bill Brach has a web site?

I'd be interested in your findings on running a Phantom with two 10 liter machines.

I have a Lynx with the OG15, but I'd love to add a larger torch.

Thanks for all the great info!~Leiza

Old 2005-10-09, 6:02pm
PyronamixK

Leiza,

OGSI is coming out with a new model. Fred unveiled it at the Gathering. I think it will run somewhere around $1800. They still had some modifications/improvements to make on it, so I don't know when it will be available.

I don't know offhand if Bill Brach has a website or not. I do know that he is an active member here on LE. You can usually find him in the safety and technical sections.

The Millenium 10 Custom is 20 psi. They have a new one that puts out 30 psi at 92-94% purity. It may be able to run a Phantom (or perhaps even a Mirage). Wally has the first prototype at the shop and he is going to test it out and see how it runs. There's even word that they will be coming out with a 50psi version.

So, hang on to your hats, boys and girls, it's about to get real interesting in the concentrator/generator world.
Old 2005-10-09, 6:38pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Leiza,

OGSI is coming out with a new model. Fred unveiled it at the Gathering. I think it will run somewhere around $1800. They still had some modifications/improvements to make on it, so I don't know when it will be available.

I don't know offhand if Bill Brach has a website or not. I do know that he is an active member here on LE. You can usually find him in the safety and technical sections.

The Millenium 10 Custom is 20 psi. They have a new one that puts out 30 psi at 92-94% purity. It may be able to run a Phantom (or perhaps even a Mirage). Wally has the first prototype at the shop and he is going to test it out and see how it runs. There's even word that they will be coming out with a 50psi version.

So, hang on to your hats, boys and girls, it's about to get real interesting in the concentrator/generator world.

I saw the prototype and got real excited! I may not have to lug tanks anymore- Woohooie!

Old 2005-10-09, 8:09pm

Quote:
Leiza,

A machine that would power a Phantom (or a Mirage) is really exciting!

I can barely keep my hat on.

Thanks for your reply!~Leiza

Old 2005-10-23, 10:46pm
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne
Yesssss! Thank you! I keep hearing good things about the piranha and so far, I'm sold. Saving that link...where's my credit card?...

Hey anne, Generations glass has the baracuda on sale right now for $695, and he has the piranha on sale too. Give Kristian a call, you will be pleased