Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-04-29, 9:28am

Default CFM's necessary for my 'barley box'

I have a "barley box" being made up for me and need to know the CFM's necessary for proper ventilation. I can't figure out these CFM calculators I've seen on some other sites.

The box is 17" deep, 30" wide and 30" tall. I'm working on a Cheetah.

Any suggestions? I don't want to create a huge wind tunnel so I'm a little leary just going out and picking up a high CFM fan.

Thanks in advance!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-29, 9:31am
da General

See below for accurate calculation by Dale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-08-04 at 1:38pm.
Old 2008-04-29, 10:11am

I was told a 700 CFM would do the job using these calculations:

Measure the "face" or opening of the hood, 30 x 30 = 900 / 144 = 6.25 * 100 = 625 CFM minimum. Select a fan from 625 CFM up to about 700 CFM (that's about 10% over).

Right now I have a fan stronger than 443 CFM with a smaller dimension "box" and I can definitely say it's not doing the job.

Old 2008-04-29, 11:12am
Gentleman of Leisure

No, no, no...

Depth of box is not important in equation...

The 30 x 30 dimension of opening is the proper values to use....

30 x 30 = 900 / 144 = 6.25 x 125 = 781.25 cfm...

Even if you go with lower figure of 100 CFM that is considered absolute minimum value its still 625CFM...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-04-29, 11:14am
da General

Sorry about that . . . Thanks Dale for the correction! My coffee must not have kicked in this morning!

Edited:

I was not crazy. Dale . . . my calculation was based on what Mike Aurelius had used, based on hood SIZE and not OPENING. Hmmmmmm - is he around nowadays to shed some light in this matter? Perhaps I was not understanding his recommendation correctly?

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-08-04 at 1:37pm.
Old 2008-04-29, 11:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Height and width is the opening (hood size) for a Barley box....

Width and depth is opening (hood size) for a hood...

What ever the situation its all "face opening".....

Think of a box as a hood tuned 90 degrees so depth/width become height/width...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-04-29 at 11:54am.
Old 2008-04-29, 11:55am
da General

Thank you for the clarification, Dale! Appreciate your help, always!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-29, 12:16pm
<--- Time traveler

I got an 800 CFM fan from The Blower Store on ebay, and added a switch to control the speed. It's a refurbished furnace blower, and the price was VERY good. Works perfectly with my Barley Box. I go full blast for enamels, powders, and metal leaf, about about halfway for "regular" glass.
Old 2008-04-30, 7:40am
Certified Glassaholic!

Courtney,

Would you be so kind as to post a link to the ebay seller you purchased the blower from? I tried searching Blower Store and couldn't find anything on ebay.

Cheers,

-Yee

Old 2008-04-30, 8:11am
<--- Time traveler

I think ebay makes it too difficult to search by store name. Also, he's changed his name a little bit:

http://stores.ebay.com/THE-SQUIRREL-...Q3amesstQQtZkm

He doesn't have anything up right now, but if you get in touch with him and tell him what you're looking for, he will make it available for sale if he can. He has 1200 CFM sizes more often than 600 and 800, but you can always have someone install a solid state speed control and not run it at full blast. Also, ask about the amps of the fan you get, to be sure you can run it with the power supply you have. I am able to run my 800 CFM fan on household supply with a "regular" outlet. Also, you'll need to match the speed control amps to the fan amps. I still have a couple of extra speed controls around here somewhere; let me know if you need one.