TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-07, 7:20am
HotFlash Designs

Default Is anyone making an Ornament tut?

I'd love a tut for Christmas ornaments.

I can make them using glasskolben, but I'd like to make them with boro or soft glass. I can blow them, I just have issues finishing the ends.

Anyone know of one? Or maybe one is in the works.

Thanks,

Sheri

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2008-10-07, 9:49am
formerly JewelsByJenny

I would love one too. I vote for soft glass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jenny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-07, 5:39pm
Scientific Glass Girl

soft glass tubing is a pain in the arse!

this would definitely be a cool tutorial to see.

Old 2008-10-07, 7:58pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnJbgNGQxVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccBEoZ30C0I

The first vid will show how you can put a metal loop/hanger on your ornaments. Its easier to do it this way but its much more nice looking to have a all glass ornament imo.

Last edited by Granger'sGlass; 2008-10-07 at 8:04pm.
Old 2008-10-08, 5:32am
Run Free Sweet Boy

HI, I am shooting the photos today for blown ornament tutorial.... several styles form beginner to advanced in soft and boro... hope t have it finished in a couple weeks

Candice

email me at patienthand@cfl.rr.com if you want to be on a list to be notified when it is finished

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-10-08, 5:35am

cool candice. can't wait to see what ya come up with!

Old 2008-10-08, 5:39am
Run Free Sweet Boy

here are a few pictures of some boro ornaments.. but I like soft glass better.
you will notice a few icicles that are made from the left over scrap color thats part of the process of making the ornaments

Candice

Old 2008-10-08, 5:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
here are a few pictures of some boro ornaments.. but I like soft glass better.
you will notice a few icicles that are made from the left over scrap color thats part of the process of making the ornaments

Candice
OMG you can do that with soft glass?????????????? Those are beautiful!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2008-10-08, 6:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgg112 View Post
OMG you can do that with soft glass?????????????? Those are beautiful!!
Probably with a furnace and soft glass, but boro is really the only glass to use to make a decent ornament on a torch.

Old 2008-10-08, 11:54am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Granger, not true, I learned on soft glass and made a big chunk of my living for over 25 years on ornaments made with soft glass. As well as perfumes etc. I find myself swearing at boro colors because they boil and wont move( stiff and dont spread nicely), and the colors are not as bright. The techniques are exactly the same, you just have to be fussier with soft glass. But you sure learn good habits about preheating, keeping everything warm while working, and heat control. Glass is glass.. if you are working from tubing its all the same, just one melts fast and stays runny a lot longer( traits I actually like), and will be more prone to thermal shock. Will post pics tomorrow of some soft glass ones I made today. Using lead glass tubing and bullseye rods.And I am doing my whole tutorial on a minor burner.

Candice

Old 2008-10-08, 11:59am

Can't wait Candice!!! I hate working with boro and have been waiting for a soft glass ornament tut forever!
Jessica

Old 2008-10-08, 2:48pm

You rock Candice! Can't wait to see!!!!!
Wendy
Old 2008-10-08, 5:55pm

Thanks Candice, I can't wait.
Where do you get your lead glass tubing, and what size? I will order some to be ready to go.

Thanks again,
Alison
Old 2008-10-08, 6:32pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Default lead glass tubing

HI,

Lead glass tubing is 90 coe and is the standard glass that neon signs are made of.. look in your yellow pages for sign supplies and ask them to order a case for you. Its cheap compared to other glass.

I use mostly 18mm and 25mm for balls and that comes in 25 lb cases. You can also use 15mm for some of the blown icicle ornaments, and 10 mm for ones rolled in frit, that are smaller, and you can use the ornament caps on those. They make cute necklaces for christmas, or ornaments for a small tree.

The smaller size tubing comes in 50 lb cases, and most suppliers wont break a case. But... you can call a local neon shop and ask them for scrap, or to buy afew pounds from them. They are usually happy to see ornamental glass, and will probably give you all the scrap you can use. But DONT try any glass that is coated with phosphorous, only uncoated. technolux also makes some nice colored tubing, but it gets pricey.

The techniques I will be showing you can use the pre pulled points from glasskolben as well, thats also 90 coe, or dang close to it. Personaly I fing thier pre pulled points to be rather short, and the glass to be thin. I have had them snap in my hand a lot. But if you dont want to pull points, its an easy way to go. If you go that way, get the ones with 2 handles, not just the singles for the techniques I will teach.

But as long as the coe matches in the colored rod and the tubing, you can use any glass

Hope this helps

Candice

if you need more help let me know. One more thing. I would not try to use lead glass with a hot head. The lead glass reduces very easily and you must have a neutral flame or it turns black. But I LOVE the stuff.

Old 2008-10-08, 7:18pm

Wow, That should be easier to get than I thought.

Thanks,
Alison
Old 2008-10-09, 3:52am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
HI, I am shooting the photos today for blown ornament tutorial.... several styles form beginner to advanced in soft and boro... hope t have it finished in a couple weeks

Candice

email me at patienthand@cfl.rr.com if you want to be on a list to be notified when it is finished
Candice, I will definately buy this one.
Old 2008-10-09, 6:12am
Tinder Bloom Studio

Ohh Ohh me me me I want a tutorial! Especially with soft glass. I started off as a furnace glass worker and have been wanting to try soft glass tubing for quite awhile now....(I have a lot of furnace glass color rods I'd like to pull down and use for colors, I think they're the same coe as neon tubing)

Last edited by FlameFilly; 2008-10-09 at 7:51am.
Old 2008-10-09, 8:00am
Dead man walking

Soft will work fine, you just have to coil pot it if using rod. You could also do a BE roll-up with sheet glass if you have the right equipment. Your other option for soft is to look at neon tubing as an alternative.
Old 2008-10-09, 8:20am
She's Back & Burnin'

This is something I have been interested in for quite a while.

Looking forward to seeing the tutorial.

Sara

Old 2008-10-09, 1:50pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I found a manufacturer on the web; midwestsign.com. I've sent a note asking if he sells neon tubing in clear and colors to the commoner like us. If so, I'd be happy to put together a buy for these. I bet anything he'll refer me to one of their distributors but we'll see.
Old 2008-10-09, 4:11pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

here are a couple of pictures of todays ornaments. The round ones are soft glass using lead glass tubing, and bullseye rod. the long on on the right is boro using momkas american beauty, but it has not been annealed and the color struck yet. second pic is just soft glass ornaments

Old 2008-10-09, 4:34pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Nice!!

Old 2008-10-09, 9:12pm
Hole Challenged

Those are beautiful! Can't wait to see the tutorial. I bought some big clear tubes from BE a few years ago, think they are Schotts (90 coe ... not boro) if I'm not mistaken. Hope they will work.

Last edited by Melodie; 2008-10-10 at 2:59am.
Old 2008-10-10, 7:06am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have not used 90 coe tube from schott,, didnt even know they made it. I think Kimble makes most of the tubing for neon these days. But if the coe matches you should be fine.

Candice

Old 2008-10-10, 10:41am
Hole Challenged

It was something BE was getting rid of a few years ago, they don't carry it any longer. I'll check back on my invoice but since it came directly from them and they only handle 90 coe I'm thinking that's what it is. Guess I better check it though.

Old 2008-10-10, 11:01am

Candice, any idea when your tut will be ready? I would love to make some of these for Christmas! Can you use soft glass rod or do you have to have the tubing?

Old 2008-10-10, 11:31am
Tinder Bloom Studio

Schott does make tube they have it here on Gereation Glass:

http://www.generationsglass.com/Schott.html

Although I've never bought it. I'm pretty sure it is soft glass. Woops no it's boro. I thought I had seen soft schott tubing somewhere though...

Last edited by FlameFilly; 2008-10-10 at 11:33am. Reason: correction
Old 2008-10-10, 3:17pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

HI,
I am still shooting the pics for the tutorial the next 2 days. I am praying to have it out in under 2 weeks... thats the goal. I have the pics for 3 styles done already, and want to keep adding meat to the taters....

You will need tubing and either rod or frit. But the tutorial is full of techniques for using colored rod over tubing. But for any of the ornament styles, you can also roll the glass in frit instead.

There is one section that has an icicle made from solid boro rod, and if time allows I will add a few more of those as well.... this might end up being 2 tutorials.... But I really wanted this to be a beginner to advanced tutorial, so a new person can accomplish at least one project and it be something they can grow with as they advance in skills.

Candice

Old 2008-10-10, 3:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That sounds great Candice. I really like the idea of it progressing from beginner to advanced also!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-10, 5:52pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

I'll be stalking this thread!!