Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-29, 8:37pm
product of the universe

Yup- Tried to blow it. I used a mini stainless steel blow pipe. Gathered a bit of clear on the end of the blow pipe. Made a moil pulled a cobalt rod out of the kiln coiled it up. Marvered it blew it out a bit marvered blew out marvered ... til i got the internal wall even. Gathered up a ball of the devardi red and laid on a stringer.Heat marver........ Blew out a ball attached a punty to the bottom of the ball/cold seal. then i heated up near the blowpipe and and drew out a loop and attached. I used tweezers to hold the loop while i knocked off the punty and flame polished. So what i should have when i pull it out of the kiln is a sealed hollow christmas ornament or some broken glass.

I have very little knowledge when it comes to blowing soft glass though so i found it to be tougher than working boro. It did stay stiff enough for me to work it,(probably good for shards) i had no issues with cracking and so far i haven't heard a big pop in the kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-01-30, 9:35am
KAS Lampwork Beads

Yes Natasha, please discontinue using poly batting for packing. It collects tiny pieces of glass and when unpacking the rods, the glass shards fall everywhere. Also, I did not find a receipt in either of my orders. Are you including receipts that list box contents and charges? Other than those two issues, shipping is fast, price is great, lovely glass and personal service is outstanding. Looking forward to purchasing lots more of your glass! Kathleen (KAS)

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2009-01-30, 9:38am
moth to the flame

I made it share my results. I concentrated on using the Trans Burgundy, Trans Lt Rose and Salmon colors.
The other color I got was the Transparent Green and I haven’t melted it yet.

Transparent Burgundy:

In order left to right:

1st: Base of Reich 104 Mystic Beige, Mocha Sundae frit, Flower is Moretti white base w/ Trans Burgundy on top and (then CiM Clear stringer) and Verto Sunshine dot (center).
2nd. Dev Transparent Burgundy spacer
3rd. CiM Peace encased stringer left over from the Rose just wound on a Peace base and melted in.
4th. Trans Burgundy & CiM clear stringer plunged dots on a Peace base.
5th. R 104 Mystic Beige base, Peace encased with Tr Burgundy roses and Moretti/Vetrofond vine stringer for the leaves.
6th. Mystic Beige base with light Trans Burgundy stringer applied and raked.

Transparent Lt Rose and Salmon:

In order left to right:

1st. Salmon spacer
2nd. Effetre 452 Red Brown base, Flower was Salmon petals w/ Trans Lt Rose and then Vetro Sunshine center.
3rd. E 452 Red Brown base and Salmon stringer, raked.
4th. Avenue Beads Streaky Sage base with a twisty made of: Mystic Beige, Lauscha Trans Coral Striker and Dev Salmon. The twisty was a bit stiffer than others I have used but I am not sure of it was the MBeige or Salmon that was the culprit.
5th. Trans Lt Rose spacer
6th. Reich Mystic Beige base encased with Trans Lt Rose.

Apologies on the pics, I didn’t use the tripod and I wanted to get these done.

Over all, I liked working with this glass. The Trans Burgundy is a striking color. I thought I had burnt out the color a couple of times but I let it cool and then restruck it and the color came back very nice and easy for me.

The Trans Lt Rose did splinter a bit but I honestly wasn’t sure it was the cold weather or me being anxious but there was no foaming or scum in the rods I received. I did have to pull off the end as I first started melting it but I thought I was getting it too hot. Once I pulled off the end and worked a bit cooler it was fine. I love this color as it seems to be a little more peach than pink…which I love. Compared to the Laucsha trans Peach it’s a tad darker and shows its color better.

The Salmon did have a few bubbles in it as I was melting it but they didn’t show up in the bead.
Also, I had read years ago that all corals are pretty much striking colors so I have always made a habit of striking any coral I use. I took extra time to striking the Salmon like I would Opal Yellow to be sure I got good color. In my pic, the Salmon is a tad washed out as my lighting wasn’t good but I tried my best.

I did notice this glass is a bit stiffer but since I have started using Bullseye glass too it wasn’t an issue for me. One thing I really did notice was the Trans Burgundy stringer. I usually just break my stringer in half with my hand as I get ready to use them…the Trans Burg was very hard to break and it was a stringer maybe 1mm.
I am on a HH and batch anneal. I made these and 2 days later annealed them at 960. So far so good on all the beads. No cracking and I used CiM Peace.
If I see any changes, cracking etc I will be sure to come in and report any problems.

I hope this is clear as I am not a ‘real’ tester. lol If there are any questions please feel free to ask.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-30, 10:41am
Devardi Glass

Beadmaven, Super beautiful beads. Wow! I just love both sets. You are so good. I can't believe how wonderful they look. And thanks for the thorough update. I'm very lucky to have such skilled people testing my glass and giving reports. It is greatly appreciated. Best wishes, Natasha

Natasha's GlassArt

Old 2009-01-30, 12:14pm
just plain silly

Well, not such good news this morning. I took out the 2 flat pendants I made last night from the kiln and they both have lots of incompatibility cracks. I used rubino with Devardi light amethyst transparent over it. I'm so bummed because they were pretty cool ...oh well.

Denise - did you use the light amethyst on the heart that cracked? Maybe that's the culprit. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the clear!

Suzanne
Old 2009-01-30, 12:23pm
da General

Suzanne - Rubino may be the culprit in your case. It's a finicky glass that sometimes doesn't like to be encased.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-30, 12:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
<snipped for length>

I did notice this glass is a bit stiffer but since I have started using Bullseye glass too it wasn’t an issue for me. One thing I really did notice was the Trans Burgundy stringer. I usually just break my stringer in half with my hand as I get ready to use them…the Trans Burg was very hard to break and it was a stringer maybe 1mm.
I am on a HH and batch anneal. I made these and 2 days later annealed them at 960. So far so good on all the beads. No cracking and I used CiM Peace.
If I see any changes, cracking etc I will be sure to come in and report any problems.

I hope this is clear as I am not a ‘real’ tester. lol If there are any questions please feel free to ask.
WHAT? Of course you're a REAL TESTER! Anyone who takes a new-to-them glass, keeps notes, knows what the heck they DID, HOW they did it, & can explain how they got the results they GOT is a "real tester"....whatever gave you that idea?
Just because you don't get "paid in glass" or "paid in cash" or "paid in advertising" doesn't make you *not* a "real tester" silly!
Your notes & descriptions were wonderful, pictures were nice & hey, I for one am rather fond of "test notes" from NON-PROFESSIONAL testers--I figure they're not being swayed by "free" anything in exchange for a good/bad review for/against anyone's products!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-30, 1:00pm

I agree w/Kathleen. I am looking forward to melting this yummy glass.

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Yes Natasha, please discontinue using poly batting for packing. It collects tiny pieces of glass and when unpacking the rods, the glass shards fall everywhere. Also, I did not find a receipt in either of my orders. Are you including receipts that list box contents and charges? Other than those two issues, shipping is fast, price is great, lovely glass and personal service is outstanding. Looking forward to purchasing lots more of your glass! Kathleen (KAS)

Old 2009-01-30, 2:23pm

Thanks for the blow trial Chris.
It sounds like I would like it.
Old 2009-01-30, 2:24pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt4st View Post
Well, not such good news this morning. I took out the 2 flat pendants I made last night from the kiln and they both have lots of incompatibility cracks. I used rubino with Devardi light amethyst transparent over it. I'm so bummed because they were pretty cool ...oh well.

Denise - did you use the light amethyst on the heart that cracked? Maybe that's the culprit. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the clear!
Suzanne- sorry about your beads!! I don't know if it is light amethyst since I ordered a sampler, not the specific color--it's pretty deep, so I don't think it is light... I haven't gotten around to playing more, but will try some when I have a chance.

nagi

Old 2009-01-30, 2:29pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
Cool Results Bead Maven! Thank you!
Of course you are a real tester--we all are
If you have results opposite from mine or anyone's, it is important to post. If your results are the same, it is important to post. The important thing is to get as much information out there so everyone can form their own opinion--noone's opinion is more important than anyone else's. When you are making beads in your own studio, the only person that counts is you

nagi

Old 2009-01-30, 4:10pm
just plain silly

Hayley - thanks for the heads up on Rubino..... I knew the pendants were going to be too good to be true when I popped them into the kiln! I'll try encasing with it again on something safer and see what happens.

Denise - the light amethyst is really pale. It sounds like you used the one called "amethyst". It's a medium color rod. I'm going to try to replicate your combo and see what happens.

Suzanne
Old 2009-01-30, 4:54pm
product of the universe

Here are my results with the glass so far. The silver color in the beads is pc green exotic.The lady has not been annealed. I'm trying to get the work from one side to the other thing down. Still trying to get shaping down with the soft glass too so she don't look so hot.
Attached Images

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-01-30, 5:37pm
Creatrixie

I think she looks neat Chris...kind of "tribal"

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-01-30, 6:40pm
Devardi Glass

Chris, That gal is fabulous. You're too modest. And your beads and blown pieces are also fabulous. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Natasha

Natasha's GlassArt

Old 2009-01-30, 8:09pm
And silence is golden

Chris - could you tell us what the numbers or names of your blue and green beads are? It looks like either a baby or sky blue. The greenish colored beads look like they might be one of the marine shades.
Old 2009-01-30, 8:47pm
Trying to Hope!

I have no clue what glass this is but its a green translucent rod in rod form and Vangoh carmel silver glass

salmon with raku 104 frit

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-01-30, 8:48pm
Trying to Hope!

horrible pics sorry the raku goes all brown and carmely wioth the Salmon and the Van Gogh from r4 does as well definitly stiffer great for sculpture

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2009-01-30, 9:31pm
Devardi Glass

Default Bead colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Chris - could you tell us what the numbers or names of your blue and green beads are? It looks like either a baby or sky blue. The greenish colored beads look like they might be one of the marine shades.
Aleta, that's opaque baby blue and opaque dark marine green. Best wishes, Natasha

Natasha's GlassArt

Last edited by prettyangel; 2009-01-30 at 9:37pm.
Old 2009-01-30, 9:37pm
Trying to Hope!

even just one label per bundle of glass would be good

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2009-01-31, 7:27am

Natasha. Received my goodie rods this Thursday. Thank you. Been out playing with them.

Thank you so much for ALL that yo sent.

Thank you everyone for the examples that you have pictured and explanations of differences. This has been a very informative thread.

If you continue to use the batting, At least wrap the rods in several thicknesses to prevent breakage as well as stuffing around it. I discovered that saving my plastic bags (green suggestion) that stuffing them in packages for shipping is wonderful. I had to stuff packages to go to overseas for two years and it was wonderful for holding things in place. Also got rid of all those bags that I save.

Marilyn

Last edited by marilyn h; 2009-01-31 at 7:35am. Reason: additional comment
Old 2009-01-31, 11:17am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyangel View Post
Beadmaven, Super beautiful beads. Wow! I just love both sets. You are so good. I can't believe how wonderful they look. And thanks for the thorough update. I'm very lucky to have such skilled people testing my glass and giving reports. It is greatly appreciated. Best wishes, Natasha
Thanks for the kind words Natasha! I was glad to help others see how the glass performs. I have a list going and waiting n your next shipment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
WHAT? Of course you're a REAL TESTER! Anyone who takes a new-to-them glass, keeps notes, knows what the heck they DID, HOW they did it, & can explain how they got the results they GOT is a "real tester"....whatever gave you that idea?
Just because you don't get "paid in glass" or "paid in cash" or "paid in advertising" doesn't make you *not* a "real tester" silly!
Your notes & descriptions were wonderful, pictures were nice & hey, I for one am rather fond of "test notes" from NON-PROFESSIONAL testers--I figure they're not being swayed by "free" anything in exchange for a good/bad review for/against anyone's products!!
OK Luna!! You're so sweet and point taken!!! I do appreciate the 'real' testers out there though who in my mind are just 'the best'. I have learned SO much from them and so I just wanted to try and do a good job of it. Afterwards I kept thinking of things I thought I 'should' have done...that 20/20 thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
Cool Results Bead Maven! Thank you!
Of course you are a real tester--we all are
If you have results opposite from mine or anyone's, it is important to post. If your results are the same, it is important to post. The important thing is to get as much information out there so everyone can form their own opinion--noone's opinion is more important than anyone else's. When you are making beads in your own studio, the only person that counts is you
Thanks Nagi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyki View Post
horrible pics sorry the raku goes all brown and carmely wioth the Salmon and the Van Gogh from r4 does as well definitly stiffer great for sculpture
Beautiful shells Wendy!! Thanks for the raku/Salmon info. I was wondering about that combo.

And Chris, I think she is a beauty.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-31, 5:55pm
just plain silly

Wow Wendy.... nice shells!!!!

Suzanne
Old 2009-02-01, 12:20am

For 5.99 a pound, I am pretty happy for some broken rods. They just get to be stringer. Cheap packing, inexpensive glass sounds like a winner combination to me. Wish we could get a deal like that from the postal services! any chance there will be a Devardi Postal Service in the future? LOL

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-02-01, 2:20am

Well at least we don't pay in advance and it take a YEAR to get your order!!

Going to place my order now...lol

Old 2009-02-01, 10:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads View Post
Well at least we don't pay in advance and it take a YEAR to get your order!!

Going to place my order now...lol
ROFLMAO....
You're too funny Liza!!

I'll agree on the batting--not the best choice--glass doesn't like coming all the way to maine that way ...plus it's hard to save any little chips for frit--can't get them OUT of the batts --a few broken rods--nothing I can't melt--I use shorts anyway--but something I'd definitely consider switching--even a bunch of newspaper crumpled up in there tight to make the glass stay "firm" & not shift would be good (I think the batting is just too soft & lets the glass move!)
A lot of places will give you newspapers for free when they're outdated if you ask (I know we used to @ the convienient store--the paper place didn't want 'em back & we had to pay for our dumpster to be emptied!...some newspaper printers will give 'em too)

Other than that--I'm soooo goin' nuts waiting for the weekend of the 14th--it's GLASS JAM weekend! (I'm taking the glass to Playing With Fire! in Rockland, so I'm sure it will get shared around a bit & completely messed with by a bunch of us crazy folks up here in the frozen north!) I really like the colors I'm seeing--Can't wait for those pinks to come in!

I really like the color of the light rose in the rod, the burgundy looks really nice & so does the dk amythest--I'm REALLY watching all your tests on that color--if it's looking non-compatable, then we'll "heart" it (I only got 4 pounds/4 colors to test) into BOC hearts @ the glass jam as a "self-color-only" bead--and seeing what folks are doing with the black is very cool--hoping someone can blow some shards out of mine @ the jam (I'm awful @ that!) to share around!

~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-01, 12:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
ROFLMAO....
You're too funny Liza!!

I'll agree on the batting--not the best choice--glass doesn't like coming all the way to maine that way ...plus it's hard to save any little chips for frit--can't get them OUT of the batts --a few broken rods--nothing I can't melt--I use shorts anyway--but something I'd definitely consider switching--even a bunch of newspaper crumpled up in there tight to make the glass stay "firm" & not shift would be good (I think the batting is just too soft & lets the glass move!)
A lot of places will give you newspapers for free when they're outdated if you ask (I know we used to @ the convienient store--the paper place didn't want 'em back & we had to pay for our dumpster to be emptied!...some newspaper printers will give 'em too)
~luna
I see you "GOT" it !! lol

Ok y'all have got me thinking... yes I know that is dangerous. When you say batting you mean like the stuff you put in a teddy bear? To get out the frit part you could always lay it out and light it! lol The batting will burn away... hahaha
No seriously, I think the best way I have EVER recieved glass was where someone had cut PVC pipe the right length and duct taped each end. I think it was cheaper to mail too. It sounds pricey but if you think about it, maybe not. If you had to replace too much glass it would pay for it's self. Maybe a dollar per order? They will cut it to the length you request at the store if you can't do it yourself. It could also be the gray color which I think is cheaper than white. If you have a friend in plumbing/construction they can get it cheaper for you. This is just an idea and thought you might want to check into. Also, if you know anyone that works in a office get them to save you the peanuts they get in packaging and you don't have to buy any. Heck if we all mailed them a box of peanuts that should get them a years supply! There should be a way to recycle that stuff anyway. I never use all of what I am sent so I put it in my flower bed...lol Helps hold water. What if you say gave someone a discount on shipping if they sent you a big box of peanuts? lol I don't know, but I can see where the batting would not be the answer. That stuff is expensive too isn't it?

Old 2009-02-01, 2:56pm

I used to ship glass in pvc tubes. It was not all that expensive for me, but it could get that way for a business. there is one place I buy from that uses popcorn as a biodegradable packing. it seems to work well and I don't mind tossing it out for the birds after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads View Post
I see you "GOT" it !! lol

Ok y'all have got me thinking... yes I know that is dangerous. When you say batting you mean like the stuff you put in a teddy bear? To get out the frit part you could always lay it out and light it! lol The batting will burn away... hahaha
No seriously, I think the best way I have EVER recieved glass was where someone had cut PVC pipe the right length and duct taped each end. I think it was cheaper to mail too. It sounds pricey but if you think about it, maybe not. If you had to replace too much glass it would pay for it's self. Maybe a dollar per order? They will cut it to the length you request at the store if you can't do it yourself. It could also be the gray color which I think is cheaper than white. If you have a friend in plumbing/construction they can get it cheaper for you. This is just an idea and thought you might want to check into. Also, if you know anyone that works in a office get them to save you the peanuts they get in packaging and you don't have to buy any. Heck if we all mailed them a box of peanuts that should get them a years supply! There should be a way to recycle that stuff anyway. I never use all of what I am sent so I put it in my flower bed...lol Helps hold water. What if you say gave someone a discount on shipping if they sent you a big box of peanuts? lol I don't know, but I can see where the batting would not be the answer. That stuff is expensive too isn't it?

Old 2009-02-01, 3:50pm

yes, teddybear batting. (omg, Liza, melted plastic? I try *not* to set off the smoke alarms in the whole complex!!)

I'm fond of the priority flatrate mailboxes they're using myself .
I'd be afraid of feeding popcorn from glass-shipping to the birdies...(shards you know...) but...biodegradeable is good (hence, newspaper....plus, if you've got fireplace you can burn it, or recycling, it can go in that bin...)

I think it's JameyLynn who puts her peanuts in grocery bags? (used ones from the store? or is that Grace? or both of them?) I that....nothing to pick out of the glass & they're pre-packed for the next thing *I* ship out--little puffy pillows & no static....(and...my cats can't eat them--what is with my cats & eating styrofoam peanuts?)

Darn...thinking about how people package things is making me want to go BUY stuff from them!! (and I can't order *anything* right now...it's rent & car insurance paycheck this week...I've got 2 weeks to wait till I can spend $$ again )

Old 2009-02-01, 4:12pm
Just me

I've contacted them because I have about 6 kitchen garbage bags of packing peanuts that I have no use for and hate throwing away. I'm glad they'll be put to use.
I'm sure we lampworkers have a ton of these lying around.

Tags
devardi, missing posts?