Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-31, 7:30pm

Default Anyone have a Creation Station?

I'm still buying all basic supplies to get started. Nearly every lampworking site I visited is selling a Creation Station.

I am wondering how many of you have one and if you do, would you recommend it?

In the past when I sewed a lot i did have a problem with carpal tunnel, don' want to go there again!

I was thinking maybe I should go ahead and get one and use it from the beginning would be better?

So, Should I get one Now instead of waiting???? Or should i wait and see??hmmm

All input is greatly appreciated.
Michele
Old 2009-07-31, 7:36pm
Ad astra per aspera

I've had one for 4 years, and I love it. It's kind to my shoulders on down, and I don't know how I worked without it before. If you have a history of carpal tunnel, I would think it would be doubly helpful to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-31, 7:37pm
What was I thinking?

I love my CS. I have short arms and don't rest my elbows on anything, so I use only the top pieces. My friend with normal arms ( ) uses only the elbow rests. All pieces are fully adjustable too. You might want to try one out before you buy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-31, 7:41pm
Bead Obsessed

I also love mine. Especially for doing stringer work and fine detail. It really helps support and steady my hands. Now after saying that I want to add that now that I've started working boro, bigger and hotter I find that the arm supports get in the way. so I just push them down to the table level while I'm melting big wads of glass. then I push them back up again when I'm doing the finishing work. so they still work fine, just a little extra manipulation.

Old 2009-07-31, 7:42pm
Incognito

Can't live without mine. For me it's a have to have.

If you are all wrapped up in yourself, you are overdressed.
Old 2009-07-31, 8:27pm
Drawn to the Flame

I love mine!
Sometimes I find that I rest my elbows TOO hard!
and I get a tingling in my fingers.

If I were you I would get one!
Just remember to change positions once in a while!

Teresa

Old 2009-07-31, 8:45pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

What Teresa said!

-Jack

Old 2009-07-31, 9:10pm

I hardly use mine at all, but it's worth having for the little bit that I do use it. I'd spend my money first on a good task chair. I have an old one found in the alley made by Domore, and it's *awesome* - before I got it my back hurt after a few hours of torching, but now I can torch all day without the slightest discomfort.
Old 2009-07-31, 9:13pm
In search of her path....

I absolutely love mine. One of the best tools I own. When I torch at peoples places without one I find it so difficult. I also am addicted to torch marvers to I cant function without mine lol.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-07-31, 9:15pm

Cool! Well, I'll see how the funds hold out and I'll probably get one at some point.
Thanks for sounding off
Michele
Old 2009-07-31, 10:04pm
Critter Mom

I love mine also. I have essential tremors and it really helps steady my hands.

Old 2009-08-01, 6:40am

I love mine. I tend to use only the top rests. It's definitely a nice tool to have there.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-08-01, 6:48am
Ready to hit the road

Get one. And another thing you might look into is the Electric Mandrel Spinner, especially if you've had previous problems with carpal tunnel http://www.bearfootart.com/catalog.php?category=76. Sometimes you can find them in the garage sale. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you won't want to be without it.

Old 2009-08-01, 11:47am

You might also consider posting a want ad for used ones. I imagine there are a few folks out there who thought they'd like one and then decided it didn't work for them.

I got mine used and saved a few bucks!
Old 2009-08-01, 1:06pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Funny you should ask.
Just yesterdaynight while torching I thought about all the things that I couldn't and wouldn't torch without.
The Creation Station was the first thing that came to my mind. It's not only making it easier on my back & shoulders, it's actually also helping to steady your hands.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-08-01, 1:36pm

Think I'm gonna go ahead and get one and use it from the start.
thanks everyone
michele

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2009-08-01, 4:18pm
Artistically Absorbed

Default tender elbows....

I bought two gel wrist rest mouse pads, cut off the pads just leaving the gel parts and wrapped them in leather. They are so comfy, and it did away with sore elbows. They can be hot glued down so they stay in place.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2009-08-03, 7:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
I bought two gel wrist rest mouse pads, cut off the pads just leaving the gel parts and wrapped them in leather. They are so comfy, and it did away with sore elbows. They can be hot glued down so they stay in place.
-Echo

Good idea - I'll have to try that.
Old 2009-08-03, 8:23am
Rose colored glasses…√

I took one half of a Sharon Peters class (thanx, Nette) and she uses the top of an oxygen bottle as her rest. I doubled it up, and have one oxygen bottle top on either side of me, for both arms. I broke the hell outta' my Creation Station, but freely and willingly admit that it was me, me, and all me responsible for its demise. It was excellently designed and manufactured.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-08-03, 10:58am
TravelLight&Don'tRush

I love my creation station and so do my shoulders...I wish I'd bought one right away, because I developed some bad habits and then had to retrain myself when I did get around to buying my station. I've seen people using gel pads, toilet paper wrapped in tin etc, but the creation station is a real winner for me.
Old 2009-08-03, 11:43am
My lab pups - Mojo & Babe

Well after reading all these rave reviews, I just ordered one for myself. Can't wait to try it out. I'm sure it will help with my carpel tunnel issues and my shakey detail hand!!! Thanks for asking the question!

|
|

Old 2009-08-03, 1:16pm
He can do the origami

Maybe because I didn't use one from the start and maybe because I do all off mandrel work and move around a lot.... but I installed one about 10 months ago and hated it from the start. It was in my way and I was always having to move the support arms so they wouldn't interfere with my glass. I still have it on my work space.... yes I am that lazy I have not taken it off...... I just fold the arms down lol.

It is a nice piece of equipment, well manufactured and I am sure many people would find it very useful. It is just not cup of tea.

Otter