LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-01, 11:27am

Default What 104 colors do you never use?

The thread in the boro room got me interested. What coe 104 colors do you never use? Did you buy something and then regret it? Do some rods just collect dust while you burn through the others? I have some Vetrofond odd lot yellows that I haven't used. Also, I tend not to use some of my very special glass, because I'm always saving it for "someday." Anybody else?

My Etsy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-01, 11:35am
one day at a time

Pink opalinos and albasterds go white on me, no pink. I hate them!

Filigrana - I never use. What do people do with them??
Old 2010-02-01, 12:01pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

In general: no yellows and browns. Ugh!
Regrets: Lots of TAG silver glass is gathering dust here. I just can't make them sing.

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
Old 2010-02-01, 1:06pm
I like to melt things

When I first started lampworking, I had what can only be termed a colour addiction. I only bought a few rods at a time, at first, but it quickly escalated into a full-blown addiction. As a result, I'm now saddled with tons of colours I haven't had a chance to explore fully. I'm currently trying to work through them and sort them into categories - LOVE! (definitely rebuy), Neutral (might rebuy) and HATE (never go within 10 feet again).

So far, my HATE category consists only of Effetre Anise White and Effetre Dark Violet, but I expect that to grow as I go through them all systematically. Other colours that I don't think I like and am not enjoying the prospect of using are Effetre Fossil Dark, Effetre Fossil Medium, Effetre Light Brown Pastel, CiM Ming, Effetre Yellow Opalino, Effetre Nile Green Opalino, Effetre Sky Blue Opalino, CiM Poi, Vetrofond Translucent Yellow, Vetrofond Key Lime Parrot, Effetre Nessi Ice, CiM Kryptonite Unique and more.

It's going to take a long time to get my glass stash the way I want it after so much relentless, pointless shopping. lol. Newbies be warned.

-
-
Old 2010-02-01, 1:22pm
Disconnected

I smell swaps coming up!!

Whoever wants to help me get rid of
- Effetre Acid yellow (eeeek)
- dark brown or is it dark topaz? transparent
- anis white (*insert brainfart here*)
- Petroleum green (Streak City of Hell)
- Vetro Jupiter and Sweet Lime (heeeeee)
- Reichenbach iris violet (any other iris is great, this is just like CIM Poi)

I have a ton more that haven't seen the light in a long time but might deserve a second chance!

Old 2010-02-01, 2:31pm

Lisi--Filigrana would make cool hollows, and the greens could be used as floral bases or pulled into vine stringer, couldn't they?

I'm still a noob, so I haven't tried everything yet, but CIM Ming and Poi look cool to me. Of course, the bead I make never quite has the colors from the paddle on the website.

I use browns, but I struggle to find a use for yellows, especially the eye-popping neon yellows. Why do assortments always have so many of them? Because the retailers can't move them any other way, probably.

My Etsy:
Old 2010-02-01, 2:39pm
T.J. made me do it

Bright yellows - yuck! I don't use grays and for some reason I have several shades.

Old 2010-02-01, 2:42pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I don't use yellows, except for opal yellow. Next I guess I don't use greens except for maybe a small accent. However, the reason I do not use either color is that nobody ever wants to buy them.

Try reducing the Iris Violet. It's beautiful.

Patsy

Ebay:

Last edited by killerbeedz1; 2010-02-01 at 2:45pm.
Old 2010-02-01, 2:42pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
In general: no yellows and browns. Ugh!
Regrets: Lots of TAG silver glass is gathering dust here. I just can't make them sing.
I like Tag colors pulled into stringers and used as a reactant for Dk. Ivory. I love Green Silver Leaf under clear for an opal green effect but otherwise they aren't quite as flashy as DH or Striking Color.

Old 2010-02-01, 3:23pm

Orange, I hate it and no-one wants to buy it
Corals, I love coral, but again no one wants to buy it.

I like acid yellow as a base for a mixed raku and fuchsia frit, but use it for nothing else.

Striking red, because I only get liver.

Would kill for a good milk chocolate brown. readily available in OZ
Old 2010-02-01, 5:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hot beader View Post
Orange, I hate it and no-one wants to buy it
Corals, I love coral, but again no one wants to buy it.

I like acid yellow as a base for a mixed raku and fuchsia frit, but use it for nothing else.

Striking red, because I only get liver.

Would kill for a good milk chocolate brown. readily available in OZ
Just before the holidays I sold a whole set of orange jewelry (necklace, bracelt and matching earings) - it really popped and was gorgeous!

I think it really depends on where you live - somebody once told me that in Southern California colors that sold were much brighter than where I am in Northern CA...

There's always a time for any color, but for some of the yellows that time is a long time coming!

Old 2010-02-01, 7:44pm
Lampworkaholic!

Fossil. Bleh. Dark Turquoise (but I love Light Turquoise). Um, some of the "special" whites.

Surprised no one has said Fish Pink or Frog Pond yet.

Sometimes colors grow on you. I set them aside for a while and come back and discover I like them. Translucent Yellow comes to mind.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2010-02-01 at 7:48pm.
Old 2010-02-01, 8:23pm
I practice alchemy!

Er, I like the acid yellow and also the light lemon yellow. I have girls here that love anything yellow. I've almost used up all the acid yellow that I got and am thinking I need more.

Celeste
Old 2010-02-01, 8:31pm

Oooh, I'm really enjoying Fossil! Not a fan of Opalinos, Alabastros, Honey Crunch (too shocky), or Smoke Rings (shocky... I have no patience.) I have a stash of CIM that I'm still hesitant about due to cracking issues. I've been assured that it's ok if kiln annealed, but I'm still skeered. Since I make crazy critters, bright colors are great for me, coral in moderation (but I do love it.)

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-02-01, 8:34pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I don't use yellows, except for opal yellow. Next I guess I don't use greens except for maybe a small accent. However, the reason I do not use either color is that nobody ever wants to buy them.

Try reducing the Iris Violet. It's beautiful.

Patsy
OMG green sells so well for me!

I have a lot of the Vetro odds that I never use. About a pound of Petrified Wood that was great in the initial sample, but was horrible when I purchased a bunch of it - apparently you can't have any consistency with odd lots!

Old 2010-02-01, 8:57pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
OMG green sells so well for me!

I have a lot of the Vetro odds that I never use. About a pound of Petrified Wood that was great in the initial sample, but was horrible when I purchased a bunch of it - apparently you can't have any consistency with odd lots!
I love most of the Odds but found that several of them need to be struck - repeatedly, especially Petrified Wood.

Old 2010-02-01, 9:24pm
Farewell promises nothing

I love this thread... I have a new challenge... Find and try some of these colours!
Old 2010-02-01, 10:04pm

Huh--I wonder how dark turquoise and acid yellow would look together?

My Etsy:
Old 2010-02-01, 10:38pm

blue aventurine (sp?). no matter how much I pre heat it, it spews all over my table.

I see other colors above that people hate that I love. The purples (dk violet, Poi) Oenone has a ton of hates that I love. I can take some of them of your hands.
Old 2010-02-01, 11:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
When I first started lampworking, I had what can only be termed a colour addiction. I only bought a few rods at a time, at first, but it quickly escalated into a full-blown addiction. As a result, I'm now saddled with tons of colours I haven't had a chance to explore fully. I'm currently trying to work through them and sort them into categories - LOVE! (definitely rebuy), Neutral (might rebuy) and HATE (never go within 10 feet again).

So far, my HATE category consists only of Effetre Anise White and Effetre Dark Violet, but I expect that to grow as I go through them all systematically. Other colours that I don't think I like and am not enjoying the prospect of using are Effetre Fossil Dark, Effetre Fossil Medium, Effetre Light Brown Pastel, CiM Ming, Effetre Yellow Opalino, Effetre Nile Green Opalino, Effetre Sky Blue Opalino, CiM Poi, Vetrofond Translucent Yellow, Vetrofond Key Lime Parrot, Effetre Nessi Ice, CiM Kryptonite Unique and more.

It's going to take a long time to get my glass stash the way I want it after so much relentless, pointless shopping. lol. Newbies be warned.
Wow Melanie, I would have never thought that you would not like fossil. With the style that you do it fits the organic look so much. I love that color. I hate all opalino colors. I hate honey crunch, smoke rings. Is the Nessi you don't like the old one or the newer one? I would love more of the old one but have not tried the newer one though but it looked like it would have been a awesome color. I don't like gelly pink way to pink just needs to be toned down. Don't like Sedona eithier.

Old 2010-02-02, 12:51am

I don't use transparent blue....they bubble all over the place for me and I never like the beads I make with them anyway. Ugly plain blue ick yuck ew. <~~~hey, that rhymes!

Old 2010-02-02, 1:35am

Unless it's Halloween, I don't use yellow. It's ok when I make the candy corn but other than that I don't seem to use yellow. Or striking orange and red. *shrugs* I just don't seem to get into them and unfortunately I have a lot of those two colors. Anyone have any idea of what to do with it? Or maybe a trade for something that I will use.

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2010-02-02, 3:31am

I have the largest supply of dark blues, cobalt, I guess, in both opaque and translucent and a bunch of other darkish blues that are similar, and all this has been collecting dust, don't know why. Aalso my TAG glass has been just sitting around. I'm going to try the idea suggested above, make stringers of it and use with dark ivory or light ivory and see what happens.
All my Gaffer is just collecting dust, even the Chalcedony, as I can't get it to play nice with me at all.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2010-02-02, 5:13am
Lover of all things color

For me it's the really light transparent colors. I think I have them all and never use them for anything.

When I first started one of the "collections" I bought with my kit were the specials from Effetre, they were all of the yellows, oranges and reds. So, I used those as I was learning. Now I can't stand them, not to mention that the don't encase well. Don't think I even have any of them.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-02-02, 6:19am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic License View Post
... Or striking orange and red. *shrugs* I just don't seem to get into them and unfortunately I have a lot of those two colors. Anyone have any idea of what to do with it? Or maybe a trade for something that I will use.
I love striking red as a base for faux boro. And striking orange with silver blues. Also both are great to practice striking, in fact, striking yellow taught me how to strike the striking silvers. I'd be happy to trade. This is striking orange with Terranova 2.1.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-02, 6:42am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

When I first got bit by the torch bug, I put in a mondo order of 1/2 lb of most moretti colors, this was hmmm 2002? I believe, and I still have 90 percent of the alabasters, and opalinos, and way too much of the aqua blue trans dk glass, I call it fenton bluebird glass.
also oodles of striking red orange n yellow, becasue I only use tiny bits of it here n there.
I do use the acid yellows up, I just put a transparent yellow or amber over them, so it warms them up.
I also have a lot of the original orangey coral. I love but hardly ever use.

~~
~~
Old 2010-02-02, 9:00am
I practice alchemy!

Dark transparent aqua does the neatest stuff over ivory. I made lentils that were a base of half white and half ivory and encased in the dark aqua. It looks like tropical ocean water...I haven't taken any pictures yet. Too busy with birthdays last week.

Celeste
Old 2010-02-02, 9:09am

A lot of you don't use yellow. I don't really either, but for leaves in my encased florals, it works great. If you use it under blue, you get a nice variation of green.

I HATE Anise White, and I don't use the opaque grey either. Oh, and EDP not too much.

Old 2010-02-02, 9:16am
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post

Melanie try a base bead of dark ivory and just swirl a stringer of Nessie on it. Melt it in and then swirl a stringer of EDP on it. Heat the snot out of it and pop in the kiln. I've been getting some really cool reactions between the Nessie and the EDP.

I have pounds and pounds of all the corals and rarely use them. My glass is very unorganized but one day...

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-02-02, 9:19am
Jacqueline Parkes

We tend to avoid colors we cannot wear ourselves. A huge part of the population cannot pull off yellows and oranges but they do sell for me on occasion. I like the more muted tones of this color family.

I rarely reach for yellows/oranges and reds.

I tend to want at least one rod of each color from each supplier so I have it on hand if a tutorial requires it or I just want to experiment. When I first started buying glass, I did not know better and went a little nuts so I too have some glass that is collecting dust.