Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-01-24, 9:38am
Satake Woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Have a blast Carrie. I couldn't imagine not being able to hand pick my color. It is heaven!
Must be nice! I just order whatever is on sale. Except for a case of clear..... (hint hint)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-01-24, 10:52am

I have a question. I tried to take a good pic of this so you could see what I mean, but you can't really see what I mean, so I'll try to put it in words. The little jug is made of double amber purple. The neck is fully encased in clear. so far so good. The body is double amber purple with clear stripes swiped on. Where the DAP is bare, it is silver, like it was reduced, but it wasn't. I already know that my mini-cc with NG and 2 oxycons isn't enough for something of this size, so it was worked a long time. I didn't realize the change in lighting would so drastically change the colors. Cool thing and I can work with that, but....why did the DAP go silver? Does it just do that unencased, or is it something else like working too long?
I know the jug has certain fatal flaws, like it appears to be stuck on my pinky finger , just looking for some insight on the silver thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-24, 11:11am

New to boro myself but I do know if you work DAP in a reducing flame before you put on your clear, then cooly apply the clear, you can capture the reduction under the clear and your glass with shimmer deep with glitter under the clear as well as the silver on the outside.
Boro is interesting stuff.... Sometimes you get silver from reducing. Sometimes you get it from oxygen flame....
P.S. gorgeous vessel!!!!!

Old 2006-01-24, 11:22am
ManBearPig

Chances are it is from a reducing flame. Running concentrators, your oxygen isn't as pure as tanked oxygen. Also, when you are working it, get it hot and you will see a "haze" on the glass. More heat and you can see the haze burn off. Burn it off, let it cool, strike it, and put it into the kiln. That will give you the result you are looking for.

Old 2006-01-24, 11:30am

reduction would be my guess too.
B
Old 2006-01-24, 12:06pm

OK, I think I see. I didn't think it was a reduction flame, but I do have to turn up the gas to get the boro to melt on my set-up, so even though it doesn't look like a redux flame it's probably got too much gas in the mix. Or something. Thanks for the info! Mama needs a new regulator.

Old 2006-01-24, 1:26pm
boro color bender

It's reduced. If it wasn't, it would be deep Amber or Purple. the haze is a very fun thing to play with. It can yeild many many colors with practice and encasing... not just poop brown.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-01-24, 6:56pm
im Loving it!

I have really enjoyed this thread........even though I dont use boro its been an extremely interesting read!

Great to see such sharing of techniques and ideas.

Jenny
Old 2006-01-25, 5:38am
boro color bender

These were all made with double amber purple and clear... that's it. All the greens and blues are just trapped haze.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-01-25, 5:56am
Nah, not really...;)

Showoff!!!

BTW: Had an awesome experience at Mountain Glass. Steve was the best. And all the colors to choose from..........WOW. Service was exceptional.
I will get to the torch today and play w/ boro, especially now that I have a new pair of Shade 3 that fit me
I will have to get in the habit of picture taking, I just loathe it, maybe because I suck at it
I will post what I make tomorrow...........yeah right Carrie, just keep telling yourself that

Old 2006-01-25, 5:59am
Nah, not really...;)

OMG: I looked at my post and feel like I am making affirmations w/ all the "I will........"
Please forgive me my own insanity!

Old 2006-01-25, 6:51am

Oh come on Carrie! You don't want me to be the only one posting my n00b crap do you?

Smiley....you suck!!! Seriously gorgeous!

Old 2006-01-25, 8:01am
boro color bender

I wish I had better pictures of this batch of beads. They really were the coolest thing since sliced bread. I'm not normally a bead fondler, but these had me fondling away and just inpressed as hell with the color variations in that one color. Boro is fun.

Old 2006-01-25, 8:08am

Nice piece! The colors in it are great, so many shades.
b
Old 2006-01-25, 8:32am

Lots of color in those beads with one rod.. Did you use some clear? They are gorgeous...

Old 2006-01-25, 9:07am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG
Lots of color in those beads with one rod.. Did you use some clear? They are gorgeous...
Yeperz...

Old 2006-01-26, 4:36pm
Nah, not really...;)

Ok I took pics of my boro, um, playtime and now I don't know how to crop in Photoshop, am I am dummy or what?
How hard can it be?
Gotta go find a thread on photo stuff, whine whine. Or beg for help?

Old 2006-01-26, 6:13pm
Old enough to know better

Default Cropping in Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
Ok I took pics of my boro, um, playtime and now I don't know how to crop in Photoshop, am I am dummy or what?
How hard can it be?
Gotta go find a thread on photo stuff, whine whine. Or beg for help?
Hi Carrie -

There's a crop tool in photoshop but I never use it. I use the crop function in the Image menu as follows: after you have your picture in photoshop, select the rectangular marquee tool (I'm assuming you know which this is because it's used so often. If not, let me know.) Make sure it's set to a rectangle since you can't crop an image that has been selected with the elliptical tool. The rectangle tool is the default, so this shouldn't be a problem. When you have the part of your image that you WANT selected with the rectangle marquee, click Image on the menu bar, then Crop. Voila! Or not. If not, let me know. Maybe someone else can explain the crop tool...

Tanya

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-01-26, 7:01pm
Nah, not really...;)

Thank you so much for responding! I feel very small right now
I FINALLY can crop. Yippee!!!
My brain is overwhelmed w/ all the info in the Tutorial section on photo taking and editing. I have Adobe 5.5. Maybe I need an upgrade? I don't know........getting off topic now.
I would still like some feedback on the colors I got after I find my mind to post the pics.
I am done for the night.
This forum rocks!
Thank you again to all of you that share your knowledge and your time so freely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
Hi Carrie -

There's a crop tool in photoshop but I never use it. I use the crop function in the Image menu as follows: after you have your picture in photoshop, select the rectangular marquee tool (I'm assuming you know which this is because it's used so often. If not, let me know.) Make sure it's set to a rectangle since you can't crop an image that has been selected with the elliptical tool. The rectangle tool is the default, so this shouldn't be a problem. When you have the part of your image that you WANT selected with the rectangle marquee, click Image on the menu bar, then Crop. Voila! Or not. If not, let me know. Maybe someone else can explain the crop tool...

Tanya

Old 2006-01-26, 7:39pm

I dunno about upgrading it. They seem to get more confusing the higher the edition # Photoshop 7 is a nightmare
B
Old 2006-01-26, 7:57pm

I'm running 7. If you just want it for simple photo editing, I don't see any reason to upgrade your 5.5. It looks very much like 7 and you have most of the capabilities. If you wanted to get into more complex editing, you probably would want to upgrade. It's expensive to upgrade though, and kind of a pain - especially if you get a new pc and then need to move the software. I tend to upgrade when I understand enough about the software to be able to understand the what specific improvements are and whether or not they are in areas I care about.

Glad you can crop now!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-01-26, 9:18pm

I got mine 4 free Get limewire basic, use limewire basic to get limewire pro(for free ) then get photoshop7, again totaly free!!! Put on helmet and proceed to
woooo hooooo, fileshare good!
B

Last edited by boroburner; 2006-01-26 at 9:21pm.
Old 2006-01-27, 12:15am
Karma-believe it, live it

I have ALOT of 104 glass. If I started to dabble in pyrex then I would have to build another shed to put it all in. For me it is a space issue.

leeanne
Old 2006-01-27, 4:43am
lov'in life!!!

Brent, I was going to PM you about this but the question was asked. When working with boro, I have tried my shade 3's on over my diddy's but can't see a damn thing. Nodda, zilch, nothing! It's VERY frustrating so I ended up taking them off. Small beads are okay right? If I go huge, then I can wear them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
I like Blue moon, AP or DAP, and a cobalt if I only could get 3 colors. Ding dang it, I would hate that... there are so many nice ones. I use onyx for black. It's a super duper saturated green based black.

I wear dids all the time... ok, well not all the time, some times I have a shade 3, but when I'm working small I do. Sorry Mike. Just had dinner with Steve Selchow last night. He's been working boro over 30 years with dids... big... small... what ever. He saw good enough to drink a few beers and eat some chicken nachos. His vision is perfect. I'm not advocating this... just letting people know. I also run with scissors.

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-01-27, 4:46am
Nah, not really...;)

Ok here is a cople of pics, finally!
I hope they aren't too big.
I will get better at this picture taking.

Old 2006-01-27, 5:09am

Looks like you're already pretty good at picture taking! Your beads look great - beautiful colors. And the pictures look really good. I despair over my bead pictures. Photoshop isn't the problem, it's the pictures themselves.

OK, what do I like about boro? I am also a 104 COE person. My #1 reason for considering boro is thermal shock. I'd love to make ornaments, pendants, etc., but am not good enough with soft glass (and my Minor doesn't do much in the way of radiant heat) to prevent thermal shock. I am incredibly BAD at pendants. It's fine until I go to put the loop on, then it's all over. Part of this is off mandrel practice (my lack of it) since I know scads of people that make fantastic softglass pendants. Maybe I'm just lazy...
My #2 reason is to be able to use techniques associated with blown glass - montage, inside out, reticello (not that I could pull this off), and so on. And I'm NOT going to mess around with soft glass tubing (see reason #1 above.) I love geometric designs and am fascinated by the effects people get with tubing and color.
#3 is the colors. Beautiful! Mysterious! Complex! I love them. It must be all the metal. I don't think I could deal with these colors all the time cause much of the time I want precise control over the outcome and I don't think that happens much with many of the boro colors.
Now having played with boro a little I really like the slow-motion (minor & 1 concentrator) aspect. It really does give me more time to react. And no hot glass popping all over the place (I got myself right in the lip a few weeks ago.) My first couple of efforts I ripped the bead release right off the mandrel first thing cause I wasn't letting the glass get hot enough.
Boro is intimidating though. A whole new color palette. Many chemical reactions to consider. Expensive. Nasty subliming cadmium... All in all, though, I really like it and hope to learn a whole lot more in the next year.

BTW boro gurus, what's up with boro white? GA mentions several colors as looking great over white but it doesn't look to me like they even make white. NS does. Is this a color that's frequently used? If so, which do you recommend for what? Thanks!

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-01-27, 5:38am
Nah, not really...;)

One more, side by side in sunlight.

Old 2006-01-27, 5:59am
boro color bender

Tanya... GA just came out with a color called Sno White. I haven't tried it yet, but they claim it's the best thing since sliced bread. I use Egyptian White Sands from NS. It behaves the best out of all the whites I've tried. Some batches are better than others.

Addressing the dark glasses issue... I can't see squat with the darker lenses either. I would suggest more light over the work bench. I would not suggest people do what I do... I use didies or ACE lenses when I work small. I would suggest researching it for yourself before you follow my lead. They are your eyes and it's not something to mess around with.

Old 2006-01-27, 6:00am
boro color bender

Carrie... your beads rock! You got some great colors... keep at it!

Old 2006-01-27, 6:01am
Nah, not really...;)

Well, what do ya'll think of my first beads???
Bad/good?