Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-24, 12:47pm

Default Looking to Get Started

I'm looking to get started in Lamp-working. I already work with beads and I want to take my jewelry to the next level with it. I'm eager to get started but I want to make sure I'm prepared. So any tips and suggestions and advice would be lovely.

I'm already thinking about getting the Starter kit from Devardi Glass, (was originally going to go for a local starter kit but it looked a bit cheap and didn't have as many rods and tools) I know it includes torch, but not a tank,this is one of the biggest questions I have is what sort of tank should I get? I don't know what is a good size to use for lamp-working.

Besides safety lamp-working glasses, and an extinguisher is there any other sort of safety equipment or set up I should use. Any precautions I should take?

What about set up, I know a well ventilated room, but I have a small studio with a sewing table right close to the wall, Any suggestions with that? Like should I invest in a larger table?

And lastly, (I think) what about storage for the rods and equipment when I'm not using them.
Old 2011-01-24, 1:11pm
Ishum Designs

I recommend taking a class first, if at all possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bill
Ishum Designs
Oakland, CA

GTT Bobcat with a pair of 5 lpm Air Sep Elites.
Old 2011-01-24, 1:12pm
Hobby Junkie

Welcome to LE! Where in PA are you? I would recommend taking a glass class before you dive in and buy equipment. It really is not for everyone and can get quite expensive. There are a number of places to take classes in PA. If I knew your location, I could make a recommendation or two.

One big expense is ventilation. A room with a window open doesn't cut it. You don't want to kill yourself (and other family members) with Carbon Monoxide. Please read up on this in the Safety forum before you just get started.

I don't know which kit is from Devardi... so I can't answer your question about a tank. If it includes a hothead torch, you can rig that to either MAPP canisters or get a hose that will hook up to a BBQ propane tank. You can always call them and ask what they recommend to go with the kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-24, 1:16pm

Unfortunately that isn't feasible. Between my husband's schedule and mine, and having only one car, there isn't a way to get even if there was one in our area. I live in the Mountains so it's not like I could jump on a bus or call a taxi.

Really wish our community college was into that sort of thing, I would love to take a class or two. The closest class available is about 2-3 hours away in Philly. I livein the Pocono mountain region

Last edited by Nefidean; 2011-01-24 at 1:19pm.
Old 2011-01-24, 1:25pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefidean View Post
I'm already thinking about getting the Starter kit from Devardi Glass, (was originally going to go for a local starter kit but it looked a bit cheap and didn't have as many rods and tools) I know it includes torch, but not a tank,this is one of the biggest questions I have is what sort of tank should I get? I don't know what is a good size to use for lamp-working.
Basically start with the 16 oz. Propane or MAP-PRO for fuel (hardware store or "big box" source)
At some point later you may want to upgrade to longer hose and #20 pound propane (BBQ) tank... When Up grading, consider hose long enough the tank can stay outside (this may also be studio location specific)

Quote:
Besides safety lamp-working glasses, and an extinguisher is there any other sort of safety equipment or set up I should use. Any precautions I should take?
Yes you need glasses, the "Phillips Didymium 202 Lenses" further down page are "decent" for starting out.. These serve two purposes, 1. Protects you eyes from flying glass shards (its embarrassing to go to ophthalmologist and explain having glass sliver removed from eye because you were not wearing "safety glasses" and 2.they also reduce "sodium flare" around hot glass so it does not appear to be a big round flaming ball, but the actual glass you are trying to work with...

http://www.devardiglass.com/starterkits.htm

Quote:
What about set up, I know a well ventilated room, but I have a small studio with a sewing table right close to the wall, Any suggestions with that? Like should I invest in a larger table?
Almost any table will do.... I work on a 60" by 30" folding table.... Top of bench/table probably need to be fire/heat resistant, a sheet of DURA_ROC or concrete backer board or some ceramic tiles from local "big" box" store will do...

Yes ventilation is VERY important... You need copious amounts of air flow... You should consider at very minimum working in front of window with a box fan in windrow to extract combustion fumes from torch and insure you have fresh air to breath...And you need a fresh air source (make up air)that is at lease 10 feet away form your "exhaust"...

Quote:
And lastly, (I think) what about storage for the rods and equipment when I'm not using them.
You may want to consider something like this...

Top could actual serve as a work surface (kinda small) but is excellent for storage... This way you can store "everything" in one place and move out of the way when not in use...

Something not mentioned is way to cool beads... IF you do not have a kiln for "garaging" and annealing, you might want to look into either "fiber blanket" or Vermiculite for "controlled" cooling of beads till you can have them properly annealed...

There is probably more things but these are very basics.... Most "Kits" are not really informative on what you need and safety aspects of warm glass work... Mostly they just show you how to "melt" glass..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-01-24 at 1:37pm. Reason: various
Old 2011-01-24, 1:33pm
Live and Let Live

My best advice is for you to spend a LOT of time reading about the Safety aspect of this hobby before diving in. Also, using Devardi glass as a new lampworker may be more frustrating than educational. The rods of glass tend to be oddly shaped and more prone to shattering if heated too rapidly than, for example, the popular Italian glass brands.

Lastly, if you plan to use your beads in jewelry / for sale, they will need to be properly annealed in a temperature-controlled kiln first. That's another aspect of this hobby you'll need to read about if you haven't already.

Old 2011-01-24, 1:36pm
Hobby Junkie

I really recommend trying to atleast try it once (even if it's just playing around) before you invest in it. I know several people who found it very frustrating and hated it (and others of us who loved it from the moment the torch fired up).

I'm in Whitehall (near Allentown). There's a bunch of places closer than Philly!

Kris has a studio in Palmerton.

Noodlesaurus Glass Studio
Hahns Dairy Road
Palmerton, PA 18071

Her website is www.noodlesaurus.com

Banana Factory (Bethlehem PA) has all kinds of classes too. They have weekly classes and also a "weekend warrior" workshop.

Old 2011-01-24, 1:37pm

I'm glad some one told me about ventilation. I assumed being by a window would help, but I didn't realize there was so many fumes coming off the glass. I think i might have to look into some alternative working spaces for lamp-working. I have a few ideas in the house that might work.
Old 2011-01-24, 1:40pm
Hobby Junkie

Please read as much as you can and BE SAFE!!!! There have been too many stories of carbon monoxide poisoning and studios blowing up / catching fire already this year. I don't want you to be one of them!

Old 2011-01-24, 1:50pm

Don't worry, I plan to be well prepared, especially knowing the dangers. It might take me a while longer then I had hoped, but I want to keep my husband and I safe, and making sure I do things right. Thank you.
Old 2011-01-24, 2:46pm

Seriously the best investment you can make as a beginner is to spend the time and take a class. It serves 2 purposes 1} You will likely know in the first hour if this is for you. 2} It will eliminate a lot of frustration if someone shows you proper tecnique ie what part of flame to use and lots of other stuff you havnt even thought of .

The best thing I did was take a class, after that I hit the ground running and that was only 1 month ago. it really is an amazing hobby, but Im sure I wound not be advancing the way I am if not for the class. Invest in yourself.

Hope all goes well
Brian
Old 2011-01-24, 3:06pm

Welcome to LE! Hope you don't take our concerns about safety as a deterrent to trying out this wonderful art form, but too many people don't read about ventilation, proper eyewear, making sure they keep their propane tank outside and run into problems later on.

I too recommend taking a class even if you have to travel for it. An instructor knows what you need to learn as a beginner and can really help you avoid a lot of the frustrations you may run into trying to figure it out for yourself. Good luck!
Old 2011-01-24, 3:15pm
Shelarious

Welcome to LE!

I started with a crappy kit and my initial start up costs were around $100.

I didn't take a class until I was 1.5 years into it. I read plenty on safety and did my own trial and error experiments. I bought a couple books and watched videos online. I performed smoke tests to determine if my home made ventilation was safe. I used common sense (such as having no propane in the house and using carbon monoxide detectors). I eventually invested in more equipment (like upgrading from a HotHead and buying a kiln) after I found out that I really enjoyed doing this.

You don't have to take a class to start, but it might be easier, safer, and less frustrating. My first class was a bunch of "D'oh" moments.

Feel free to send me a message if you ever want any help.

Old 2011-01-25, 5:10am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefidean View Post
I livein the Pocono mountain region
Plan a day trip to Corning Glass, for $25 you can make your own bead with out an appointment. BellaBean is in White Hall, I'm just north and west of Williamsport. A new lampwork Studio just went in to the Pajama Factory in Williamsport, it is supposed to give lessons. I don;t know what is in the Scranton/Wilksbarre area but there is probably something. Lampworkers are like mushrooms, the pop up everywhere.
Old 2011-01-25, 6:18am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Dale has a good cheap way to set up your ventilation near the window on the forum in his signature, artglassanswers. I didn't take a class, just read Cindy Jinkins book and a couple of years laters, took an intermediate class and was like oooooohhh, that helps. Learned a lot that a book just can't explain. The biggest thing I can tell you is don't expect it to come right away. It took a loooong time before I got anything usable in jewelry. It takes tons of practice.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-01-25, 6:55am
Life is change. Love it

Remember the annealing issue. You can't sell unannealed beads they will all crack eventually, so you will have to connect with someone who can batch anneal your beads until you decide to buy a kiln.

Old 2011-01-25, 7:25am

I highly recommend the following book

"Everything you ever wanted to know about glass beadmaking" by James Kervin. Start with the safety section - his is one of the best printed safety compendiums I've found. Also has wonderful info on the basics of setting up a torch, studio/work area, and basic lampworking techniques

I also highly recommend the following website

www.artglassanswers.com

Excellent place to learn about lampworking safety

Welcome!
Linda
Old 2011-01-25, 10:37am

Here is a link to the Corning Glass Museum. Check out the "Make your Own Glass" section.

http://www.cmog.org/
Old 2011-01-25, 10:41am

While I agree that taking classes is the best way to learn, you can also get a lot out of watching DVDs. You can rent them for a week at a time from www.smartflix.com. Start out with ones from Jim Smircich and go on to Corina Tettinger's stringer control. They also have one that shows the basics of working on a Hot Head torch.

Both of the books already mentioned are excellent must-reads. Other ones are "Passing the Flame" by Corina, and "The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking" by Kim Adams. I know I'm forgetting some, but those are ones to start with.

The people here on LE are another great way to learn, and I hope you've found with the advice you've received here!

Practice, practice, practice, and be safe. And have fun!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2011-01-25, 11:12am

I've been doing this for over 3 years now and have never taken a class. You can get start up kits from Arrow Springs and a few other companies. Buy a DVD or just get on utube for some instruction to get you started. I used Corina's book, "Passing The Flame" for inspiration when I first started out. You can buy the small tanks of Mapp gass from your local hardware store and then if this is something that you think you'll like doing, you can get the bigger tanks. If you need any advice as to what rods to get first, you're welcome to pm me here or call me. I can tell ya what you really, really need and what you don't need. In the beginning, just the necessities are all you really need.

Old 2011-01-25, 12:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
Plan a day trip to Corning Glass, for $25 you can make your own bead with out an appointment. BellaBean is in White Hall, I'm just north and west of Williamsport. A new lampwork Studio just went in to the Pajama Factory in Williamsport, it is supposed to give lessons. I don;t know what is in the Scranton/Wilksbarre area but there is probably something. Lampworkers are like mushrooms, the pop up everywhere.
Oddly enough Williamsport and Corning are probably my best options. My best friend lives in Williamsport and it might be something we could do in the summer if go up and visit. Corning is the best alternative though as my brother actually works for Corning Glass as a food cook in the cafeteria and my mother lives in Elmira. We go up about every month or so, also, Corning has a few really cool bead shops.

I do know this is something I want to do though and has been something I've been fascinated with for a quite a long time, I just never knew I was so accessible before a few months ago. I'm eager, but I defiantly want to make sure I do things right.

I can't thank every one enough for the helpful comments and concerns, and just the the overwhelming feeling of being welcomed. I am defiantly looking into ventilation systems and will be looking up the reading material shortly. And I defiantly look forward to being around her more too :3
Old 2011-01-25, 4:07pm

I just started today and boy am I frustrated! I can't seem to get a nice round bead. I am guessing practice makes perfect. I did get the Devardi startup kit and it came with alot of glass but all different sizes. I'm sure if you are already doing this, maybe size doesn't matter? Should I get some "regular" rods and see if that helps?

Chris
Old 2011-01-25, 5:32pm

Welcome Chris! It just takes time on the torch to figure out how the glass moves in relation to heat and gravity. Practice is exactly what it takes. Also, look up Jim Smircich's tutorial on making a round bead. As he says, the initial footprint of the glass on the mandrel is important. It needs to be fairly narrow. Do a search here as well and you'll find all kinds of info on how different people do rounds. Most of all don't get discouraged. Slow down and take your time. Enjoy learning how the glass flows.
Old 2011-01-26, 4:24am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimi115 View Post
I just started today and boy am I frustrated! I can't seem to get a nice round bead. I am guessing practice makes perfect. I did get the Devardi startup kit and it came with alot of glass but all different sizes. I'm sure if you are already doing this, maybe size doesn't matter? Should I get some "regular" rods and see if that helps?

Chris

practice practice practice practice
Old 2011-01-26, 11:00am

In the class I took we spent about 4 hours just making balls on the ends of rods, balls in the middle of rods, and disks in the middle of rods.
Old 2011-01-26, 1:26pm
Glass-aholic

I fond on my HH that rounds were easier for me to make if I made a square first and then rounded it out. I usually made donut rather than round, round. I never really felt that I got enough heat to really really round it unless it was tiny.. i dont do tiny!! any ways... With great patience you can do it the way I do now, which is with lots of heat, and some gravity i think. I am not picturing me making rounds somehow... hummm

BUT Lisi has some great words about it!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ighlight=round

So does James
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ighlight=round

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-26, 10:01pm

I have been on torch for a decade, now and still don't have all the answers, but you are in the right place for help. I would also recommend reading the educational material on the ISGB website. And tho Devardi makes some inexpensive colors, start with Moretti, or CiM. On sale they are very affordable, but not as frustrating as shocky glass. If you are sure this is what you want to do, then keep researching the forums here. Lots of info has been posted by knowledgeable folks. And if you don't find your question answered, then ask. We have all been where you are! Btw, in 10 years, I have never had a bead class. You can do it, but plan on making mistakes, and alot of practice! Buy Cindy Jenkins' book, or Passing the Flame, by Corina Tettinger. Very helpful for isolated beginning beadmakers!! Enjoy, and never ignore Dale's advice--it's very sound!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-02-07, 12:39pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Default Ii have a question about worksurface set up

Hi All!

I am ready to begin the space clearing to put in semi permanent studio space. I've been working on my glass dining ta ble with doors and window open and a portable fan with the hvac fan on. I was told that would be ok for one hothead on a temp basis.
I plan on installing ventilation when I move into the 2nd bedroon which is about to become office and art work space.
For now, work surface: in the meantime until we can build a work bench from a door or large piece of wood, is it ok to work on a small tempered glass table I found at Ikea? I have the metal heat protective surface, do I want to get more of those? Do I want to cover the whole surface with fire proof board or steel? I plan on putting my kiln on another table, I got bricks for underneath it and still need to go get the fireproof board for under the bricks, although I wonder if 3 bricks is high enough from the other little table which is wood.
It's to be semi permanent because I hope to not be living in this space for too long, but I want to be able to do my lampworking while I am here.
I am open to all types of setups and really want to hear. I have read the studio thread, I just couldn't find it when I went to post this. I'm still challenged in the tech dept, so if this is in the wrong place please direct me to the correct place.
Thanks in advance
Namaste
Rowyn