No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-25, 10:58am
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
I have this color and have also noticed small cracks....used it with some 104 murrini and almost every piece has cracks. They seem to develop over a period of time...not immediately.

Here's a pic of one of my smaller cabochons with a murrini on it...showing how it cracked...this is not encased.

Yup....that's what mine looked like too...just fine cracks all over the bead, it's hard to see them with the naked eye...I had to use my magnifying light and inspect each one of them.

Janet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-25, 11:14am
Storm Queen

Yep, there was another thread with Carolyn (?) or Carolann ...sorry, I can't remember her name off hand...with Lauscha. I posted more pictures in that thread too. It doesn't happen with every glass you use with it, only some. Copper Green and white definitely cause cracking. The cracks can happen a coupe of weeks after making the bead and can be so very fine you may not even notice them. This also may be a batch problem. Just look at the date of my OP. I don't know if maybe a new batch now is cracking again or if it's always cracked. I'm thinking that a lot of beads got purchased and sent out before they even started cracking...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-25, 11:28am

Smile

Unfortunately I have had this problem also. I only bought one rod, thank goodness, it has cracked with Lauscha transp purple, lauscha clear, Ink blue and one of the Effetre dark violet (don't remember which one) then I gave up. I made a spacer for my color reference collection and it is still fine Too bad, it's a nice color. Laura

Old 2011-05-25, 12:15pm
Storm Queen

Here's the link to the other thread.
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73701
Post 72 on page three has another picture of a bead I did with cracks. Carolanne wouldn't accept the fact that Lauscha purple has a cracking problem.

Old 2011-05-25, 12:25pm
Tacki

No idea which Lauscha purple this is. I got a gift pack from someone full of Lauscha rods for the AGLF play date. I made a lot of beads like this with murrini from Jet Age. There are these cracks right next to the murrini on all of them. You can physically feel the crack.

Should point out they were put in the kiln glowing hot, and the kiln was at a higher than normal temp. Now I have all these beads for the AGLF that I'm scared to list because I can feel these cracks.

Old 2011-05-25, 12:45pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I love this color but I reserve it for non-torched embellishments like gold decals.

I had a set made of this with coral and purple. I sold a couple then later put the leftovers in an orphan batch. After being received by the customer they just split in half. I garage and anneal at about 980 so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem! I think that Kaye (Kaye in Oregon also had problems with that same color combination).

Here's what I do with it with decals (you put them on cold then you have to refire the bead in the kiln):

Old 2011-05-25, 6:12pm
im Loving it!

I had the same problem with the purple a few yrs back, either small cracks or breaking in half and haven't used it since. Shame as its a lovely colour.

The first lot of purple I had was great with no problems.

Old 2011-05-25, 6:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Lauscha = no

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-05-25, 7:28pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Lauscha = no
Totally. The colors are gorgeous but it just comes with too many headaches.

Old 2011-05-26, 5:37am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrgrl View Post
Yup....that's what mine looked like too...just fine cracks all over the bead, it's hard to see them with the naked eye...I had to use my magnifying light and inspect each one of them.

Janet
Yeah, they are fine cracks...but seem to grow larger. I spotted them after shooting my pics in macro mode and editing the pics..then they seemed to become more visible and definately 'felt' when you rub over the glass.

I had also already set a few of my cabs in some silver bezel cups/into a piece of jewelry...when I went back for final polish....the cabs were all cracked.

I'm thinking I need to contact a few of my customers who purchased a bead made from this glass...just to make sure they're still okay.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-05-26, 9:51am
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Yeah, they are fine cracks...but seem to grow larger. I spotted them after shooting my pics in macro mode and editing the pics..then they seemed to become more visible and definately 'felt' when you rub over the glass.

I had also already set a few of my cabs in some silver bezel cups/into a piece of jewelry...when I went back for final polish....the cabs were all cracked.

I'm thinking I need to contact a few of my customers who purchased a bead made from this glass...just to make sure they're still okay.
I just emailed my customer that already paid for them and told her what happened and offered a refund or replacement in another purple type glass, I have Thai Orchid CIM glass that is purple but more of a plum. She said that was fine thank god!

janet

Old 2011-05-26, 9:59am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrgrl View Post
I just emailed my customer that already paid for them and told her what happened and offered a refund or replacement in another purple type glass, I have Thai Orchid CIM glass that is purple but more of a plum. She said that was fine thank god!

janet
That's great Janet....I love great customers like that!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-05-26, 3:13pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
If you read my post my kiln was at 1100 degrees and the beads went in glowing.

I'm curious Amy, how long did you hold at 1100 and how did you ramp down and over how long? What size were the beads?

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-05-26, 3:31pm

AAAaaaackkk! The upside is that your catastrophe got a cuppla bottles of wine opened...there's always an upside!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-05-26, 4:26pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
I'm curious Amy, how long did you hold at 1100 and how did you ramp down and over how long? What size were the beads?

namaste
Rowyn
This thread is 4 1/2 years old. My annealing schedule was conservative back then and is more so now. But I honesty can't give you specifics from that long ago.

Old 2011-05-26, 8:20pm
Lampworkaholic!

Wow, a 4 and a half year old thread - and I just recently bought a lb. of this color to make purple hearts for BOC. I checked my beads and sure enough I found some tiny hairline cracks on two of them. $#!+!!!

I guess I will be making lots of purple spacers - or do those crack too?

Edited to add, I just read the other thread - did anyone determine if the bigger rods were the culprit? The ones I made that cracked were made with the big rods. The lb. I just bought is the skinny stuff. Guess I will do some test beads and find out.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2011-05-26 at 8:36pm.
Old 2011-05-30, 11:34pm
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Here's the link to the other thread.
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73701
Post 72 on page three has another picture of a bead I did with cracks. Carolanne wouldn't accept the fact that Lauscha purple has a cracking problem.
Oh, i accepted that it cracked for you for sure but i gave up plenty of my free time showing exactly how it didn't crack for me. I posted my annealing schedule in that other thread and made the beads using purple, moretti ivory and amber per your instructions. I tried to help the entire time. What I don't understand is that if it didn't work for you then, and didn't work again for you this time, why waste your sizable talent and time trying to use it again? You make fabulous beads! Why give up your precious time for a glass that doesn't work for you ?I don't work at the factory anymore - found a full-time good paying job elsewhere and am renovating a house from 1760 so I can't get to my studio until October, but the other thread has my pictures - that is only my personal experience with the glass. Anyways, i am up on the North Sea coast for a week of well deserved vacation... I wish I could help, but I did all I could already in that other thread. My kiln scghedule is posted. It worked for me and is there should anyone choose to try it.
And if any particular glass ever doesn't work for me after a good 3 earnest efforts, I don't buy anymore of that colour, and don't use it anymore. I could conplain, but frankly, I don't have the time... That beautiful Moretti is still on my shelf because it's so shocky but frit is also nice to have!

Wishing you all good weather from the faraway North Sea coast of Germany, with smiles from, Carol Anne

Old 2011-05-31, 12:11am

Quote:
I have this color and have also noticed small cracks....used it with some 104 murrini and almost every piece has cracks. They seem to develop over a period of time...not immediately.

Here's a pic of one of my smaller cabochons with a murrini on it...showing how it cracked...this is not encased.

well there goes my idea of turning the cracked beads into cabs.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-05-31, 1:51am
all for the love of glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Wow, a 4 and a half year old thread - and I just recently bought a lb. of this color to make purple hearts for BOC. I checked my beads and sure enough I found some tiny hairline cracks on two of them. $#!+!!!.
That's so unacceptable that they have not addressed this or taken it off the market..no more lauscha for me either.
Doesn't matter how delicious the colors are if you can't work with it.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2011-05-31, 6:13am

If you are talking about the Super Nova ..I have not had that crack but have not used it too much.It is a beautiful stringer decoration too..but i have had clear cracking issues with the reformulated reg and soft.I found out after that the kilm temp was supposed to be way higher..so I have yet to try that.I do love the Lauscha colors and do want them to work..I got lots of it.
"

Old 2011-05-31, 7:58am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamemoth View Post
That's so unacceptable that they have not addressed this or taken it off the market..no more lauscha for me either.
Wait, as I said, "The ones I made that cracked were made with the big rods. The lb. I just bought is the skinny stuff."

The big rods were purchased second hand and could well be a few years old. I haven't yet melted the thinner ones.

I made some spacers and some frit beads with the big rods yesterday and so far, so good, no cracks.

The ones that cracked had other glass melted in and cracked where the different glasses met.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-05-31, 9:45am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanne View Post
What I don't understand is that if it didn't work for you then, and didn't work again for you this time, why waste your sizable talent and time trying to use it again? You make fabulous beads! Why give up your precious time for a glass that doesn't work for you ?e
This thread is four and a half years old. I haven't touched Lauscha since I stopped using it shortly after posting this. So no, I'm not wasting my time trying to use it again.

Old 2011-06-01, 8:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamemoth View Post
I have had Effetre (dark amber to be exact) that was not even compatible with itself (every bead of just dark amber cracked) and CiM colors that were not 100% compatible and they were not pulled off the market. I think what manufacturers try to do is remake the bead like Carol Anne did when she was at the factory. If they remake it and don't see a problem they don't pull the glass.
The thing about Lauscha glass is that there is an entire city in Germany, named Lauscha, where all of the inhabitants are glassmakers of one kind or another and they use this glass daily without any trouble. They also use fat rods regularly (as they do in Murano) as the fat rods are cheaper to buy. I don't understand why we have trouble here and they don't unless they are using different torches or annealing schedules or something.
I have not been there myself so don't really know the answer. But now I am curious and will try some of these combinations myself with the few rods of 14 mm purple that I have left. I have made many other Lauscha beads through the years that never cracked and was using Lauscha long before I became a dealer. I love the colors and If I never sell another rod I will be happy to keep it all for myself!!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-06-01, 10:03am
Growing Edge Glass

My cocoa and black Lauscha as well as the blue steel has been fabulous...love it!! No issues at all in my beads or cabs.

The purple/blue as mentioned has been the only lauscha that I've had issues with in the cracking, when mixed with other colors. My rods are the larger ones...10-12 I think....it is a gorgeous color.....maybe the thinner rods won't have an issue. Either way..the larger purple rods will make some killer spacer beads!

So Paula...you can't keep it all to yourself!

-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2011-06-01 at 10:13am.
Old 2011-06-01, 4:33pm
Honey Badger

Hey, Amy--
Are your beads still cracking? Why don't you just work with other glass--why torture yourself? Why do you want to hate on Lauscha?

ALWAYS annoy Amy whenever possible. I bet she's super annoyed now--since THIS THREAD IS OVER 4 AND A HALF YEARS OLD. lol
Old 2011-06-01, 4:39pm
Storm Queen

<freak>

Old 2011-06-01, 5:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Lauren!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.