Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-29, 12:48pm
over the moon space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I played a bit tonight, but the glass gods weren't with me; I got just a smidge of that cool fuschia color that you achieved. Did more of that coloration show up after they were annealed? Also did you "cool" the bead in between wafts through the flame. The reason I ask is if this glass is copper based, I know that when Tim is "assisting" his copper raku glaze to make the pretty colors, the fuschia comes from cooling. So maybe you'll get more of that color if you press it as well. I dunno; I'm too tired to play.

It is a lovely shade of blue as is though; it does look much like the copper blue frit I have.
It seems to have a better result when you cool it in between strikings. It strikes pretty easily (at least for me). If you try striking it twice, cooling in between strikings, the creamy red look gets more intense and it pretty much turns opaque. When you strike it once, it gets that reddish glaze over the top with the Blutonium showing through.
It's really a pretty red!@
I have to try that oil slick thing!!!!! That is beautiful!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2006-11-30, 3:45pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I just got mine today! I love blue so this is a great color for me! I'm going to play with it a bit and see if I can get that oil-slick effect.

I really like the fact that a CD was included with the glass. There are two MS Word documents on it but I have Lotus Word Pro and I was able to open both documents with that.

If you don't have either product you can go here and download a viewer that will allow you to open the documents:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I downloaded and tested this and it does work. It is handy to have and it is free. You can also download an Excel and a PowerPoint viewer for free from their site. Just do a search on viewer. Hope this helps those of you who are having trouble opening the documents on the CD.

Old 2006-11-30, 3:53pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
It seems to have a better result when you cool it in between strikings. It strikes pretty easily (at least for me). If you try striking it twice, cooling in between strikings, the creamy red look gets more intense and it pretty much turns opaque. When you strike it once, it gets that reddish glaze over the top with the Blutonium showing through.
It's really a pretty red!@
I have to try that oil slick thing!!!!! That is beautiful!!!
I can get the red, it's that fuschia color I want, but thanx for posting tips!! Ginny's third bead does look very much like one of my hubby's copper luster raku pots.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-04, 11:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Here's a quickie picture of some experiment beads I did . . . . they're sloppy and still on the mandrel but I was mostly looking for color.

All of these were reduced but like I said before this color is really pretty just used as-is. I love the effect on the round bead to the right . . . it has reds and pinks in the "oil slick" surface. Hopefully I can reproduce it again! The bead in the center is Bluetonium over opaque light green and the one on the left is just Bluetonium with clear dots.

Ginny OH Ginnnnnnnny !! Have you been able to reproduce the bead on the far right??? I LOVE it ! But I can't seem to get that color... Anyone else with any results from this glass?

Old 2006-12-05, 8:02am
Hot Rod Addiction

I really can't get great, consistant results from the two glasses yet, but what I really love about it is the way it melts and how much "stiffer" it is than most of the other colors I have.

I can pull the nicest stringers, and the glass is stiff enough that I actually have a bit of control when using the stringers. Makes me feel like I've been decorating with stringers forever. The feel of the glass is nice too, it's so smooth and soft (weird way to describe glass, lol). I wish I could make magic with it, and sometimes I do -- just not consistantly.

Would love to see more pictures...anyone?
Old 2006-12-05, 8:57pm
Life is change. Love it

Still waiting for both of mine............................

Old 2006-12-06, 1:10pm

Still no glass here at Australia either.
Can't say I'm not been patient either as you all had your glass last month and I'm still waiting even though I pre-pay for the year since June!

Last edited by nklt0; 2006-12-06 at 1:12pm.
Old 2006-12-08, 5:35am

Nothing in the Netherlands either

Old 2006-12-08, 5:41am
-boring beads-

And nothing in Germany...nor a reply to mails...
Old 2006-12-08, 8:54am
Life is change. Love it

I got my glass! I've decided to cancel though - I had to pay $16.00 in customs fees and that, coupled with the price of the glass and the fact that Lauscha Lady has Supernova on Dec 12th...............well, it's just not worthwhile for me. Good luck everyone else, and I'll be watching the threads to see which glass will be worth buying!

Old 2006-12-08, 1:27pm
wired and crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I got my glass! I've decided to cancel though - I had to pay $16.00 in customs fees and that, coupled with the price of the glass and the fact that Lauscha Lady has Supernova on Dec 12th...............well, it's just not worthwhile for me. Good luck everyone else, and I'll be watching the threads to see which glass will be worth buying!
Well thank goodness Carolyn! I got mine on Nov 18, but I'm with you, too much time and too pricey when Lauscha Lady will get it anyway. I wonder why your customs was so much? Mine was "only" about $8. Still ended up costing me $5 per rod and I can't get it to do anything fancy. Oh well, I was too curious to not try it out!
Old 2006-12-09, 3:49am

Yes, that was the original idea. I dropped out after the first shipment because:
A. the glass took too long to arrive (I paid for it 4 months before I got it)
B. I was told (via PM from Marcie) that we aren't allowed to make beads and show them in pictures or sell until everyone gets the glass(?)
C. If we don't like the glass we can't trade or sell it? It isn't a law, it's a Rule of the Club and was supposed to be a perk for getting glass 6 months before others could... now that isn't turning out to be true (not Marcie's fault)

I work hard for my glass and once I buy it I consider it mine to do with as I wish. I too will wait for the colors as they come out and I normally buy from Lauscha Lady as she has ALWAYS taken good care of my needs and shipped LIGHTNING fast.

As far as Marcie's feelings are concerned, no ill will is intended, she's always been courteous and kind. However remember she is in business too, and as such this should be viewed as a "Business venture" and not as an act of goodwill alone. The point is that any criticisms are not directed at Marcie, but at the "business of doing business" and what works for some of us, others may not want to deal with.

Hugs
Lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_beads View Post
"I just noticed that Grace (Lauscha Lady) will have Supernova in soon. Heck, she'll probably have it before me!"

Hold up! Are you saying that glass we pretty much all just got is already about to be with regular dealers?! What's up with that? What happened to the deal about having it 6 months ( or whatever we were told ) before anyone else? Did I just imagine reading that this would be the deal? Am I the only one that was under that impression?

I have to say that if I can wait a month and get the same stuff for $22 that I'm paying $35 plus shipping for there's no real reason to be doing this. I did this so I'd have a bit of an edge on the competition. If the competition can get the same thing in a month and pay less... I'll need to rethink this. I may be a glass addict but I'm not foolish.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2006-12-09 at 11:08am.
Old 2006-12-11, 5:35pm
Jan and Quincy

Geesh, I must have had my head stuck in the sand!! I totally missed this thing about not being able to sell our glass if we didn't like it. Now, tell me how this is being enforced? Will we be excluded from the club or are the Lauscha Color of the Month Club police going to show up at my door and arrest me if I try? Now, that would be fun!!! Take me to Germany and give me a tour!!! Gotta a passport and I'm ready anytime! Well, after New Year's and before my Sharon Peter's classes, anyway. LOL!!!
Old 2006-12-11, 5:48pm
Boro newb

"I totally missed this thing about not being able to sell our glass if we didn't like it."

You didn't miss it... we weren't told that. Looks like a rule Lauscha made after people had already signed up. I know that I for one, never signed anything agreeing to that. If I buy something, it it is my property. If I don't like it... or need to sell.. well... it belongs to me.

Mom's silver store...

~Anything you can do I can do... kinda.
Old 2006-12-11, 7:56pm

Hey sweetie, it wasn't Lauscha who made the rule, it was a "color of the month" rule that was made "later" (after many of us signed up). That's probably the primary reason I quit. Not that I needed to sell mine, in fact I still HAVE it, I just objected in principle to not being able to do what I want with what is mine, and not being able to make what I want and show or sell it when I want.

To each his own!
Hugs
Lynnie

Quote:
"I totally missed this thing about not being able to sell our glass if we didn't like it."

You didn't miss it... we weren't told that. Looks like a rule Lauscha made after people had already signed up. I know that I for one, never signed anything agreeing to that. If I buy something, it it is my property. If I don't like it... or need to sell.. well... it belongs to me.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-12-12, 12:00am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:

Ehhm not exactly. SOmeone wanted to sell her Supernova and was "politely told" she wasn't alowed to do so, and it wasn't Lauscha who came up with this. Heck Lauscha is selling color of the month glass to some major German suppliers, so I don;t think they would give a rat's behind if someone was to sell 1 lb of their glass

Suzanne

Old 2006-12-12, 4:27am

*sigh* still no glass here...

Old 2006-12-12, 10:48am
tweetysweetie

Folks, please forgive me for saying this...but the original poster is asking for help concerning the new color.

To bash marcie, COM, or air complaints in general because we still have unresolved issues/feelings, over the "first" color is off topic. (No matter how much I agree with many of the statements, they are misplaced here) A new thread might be more beneficial for these purposes.

Ginny those beads are very pretty...thanks for sharing.

Old 2006-12-12, 11:54am
Boro newb

Hi Lynnie!! Did you see my post in the birthday thread?

Yeah, I know it was a COTM rule. I was just trying to be... nice.

Mom's silver store...

Old 2006-12-12, 11:58am
Boro newb

Suzanne, I know some members were told this, but I'm saying we weren't told when signing up. It was not part of anything anyone agreed to.

If I had been told when this idea first came about that I would not be allowed to do what I wanted with glass that I purchased and that regular dealers would have it in 2 months I would have passed on the whole thing.

Mom's silver store...

Old 2006-12-12, 1:12pm

Yes sweetie I answered too!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9692
Quote:
Hi Lynnie!! Did you see my post in the birthday thread?

Yeah, I know it was a COTM rule. I was just trying to be... nice.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-12-12, 3:52pm
Storm Queen

Anyone see that Lauscha Lady has Supernova for 26.00 Canadian which I think is $22.50/lb US???

Old 2006-12-12, 4:23pm
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Anyone see that Lauscha Lady has Supernova for 26.00 Canadian which I think is $22.50/lb US???
I didn't until you just mentioned it! Hmmmmm.....And you can order 1/4 lb. at a time instead of a full lb. I think I might have to rethink this club. I really tried to hang in, but not if we're paying a premium for glass that can be had elsewhere 2 months later for less money . I'm starting to wonder where the benefit is to us....

Old 2006-12-12, 4:40pm
Fusing Glass

Quote:
now that is just annoying!
Old 2006-12-12, 4:52pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I didn't until you just mentioned it! Hmmmmm.....And you can order 1/4 lb. at a time instead of a full lb. I think I might have to rethink this club. I really tried to hang in, but not if we're paying a premium for glass that can be had elsewhere 2 months later for less money . I'm starting to wonder where the benefit is to us....

Yes, 1/4lb minimum. At a 50% increase in price I can wait 2-3 months and get it...if I decide I want the color that is. I would have to assume that the $12.50 was a profit OVER the normal profit a supplier gets per pound....WOW!

Old 2006-12-12, 5:00pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Things that make you go hmmmmm!

Old 2006-12-12, 5:28pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
Yes, 1/4lb minimum. At a 50% increase in price I can wait 2-3 months and get it...if I decide I want the color that is. I would have to assume that the $12.50 was a profit OVER the normal profit a supplier gets per pound....WOW!

I had suspected this would happen. In fact, if I remember correctly, I even ASKED if COM members would be paying more for the glass than what it would be selling for through distributors. I think I also commented something to the effect of....are COM members PAYING A PREMIUM for the privilege of being market testers for this glass. I was emphatically told NO.

I guess we all just have to draw our own conclusions about the integrity and professionalism with which this was handled.

There are members who paid for a year in advance AGES ago that still have glass not delivered.

Pay Pal monthly payments are being taken even though shipments are not being made. For instance, if you signed up for the "monthly subscription" on October 10, a payment was made on 10/10, 11/10 and 12/10, even though only 1 shipment was been sent since then.

There are foreign members who can't get emails answered.

Pepole were told they couldn't sell their glass...that whole hullabaloo.

Vendors are starting to make COM glass colors available to the public only a few short months after it was a "club exclusive". The original plan was 6 months.

COM glass is being sold CHEAPER through distributors than what club members paid for it. (Boy, this one REALLY chaps my hide.)

The colors have been, generally speaking, hard to work.

Colors seem to have been almost exactly the opposite of what club members had originally said they were interested in, even though club members were told their input was being taken into account.

Yes, I think it's very distressing how this whole thing worked out...or didn't. I was REALLY looking forward to this club thing and have been disappointed from the onset.

I stand by this: If this thing turns around I would GLADLY pay for glass each month. That would mean prompt, regular monthly shipments. The exclusivity policy holding true to 6 months. No issues with reselling the glass (I think that has been resolve though). A promise that we would not be paying more for the glass than what would be considered "normal retail" through distributors. Colors that don't make people grind their teeth in frustration.

I'm still hopeful....still watching....still holding onto my cash.

Old 2006-12-12, 5:41pm
Storm Queen

Those that paid for a full year over paid by $150....

I'd be PISSED!

I don't know what the profit margin for a distributor is but lets assume it's the norm which is 50%. That means instead of the normal $11.25/lb profit she's making $23.75/lb profit. That just a bit extreme...dontcha think?

Last edited by AKDesigns; 2006-12-12 at 5:47pm. Reason: Had to fix my math!
Old 2006-12-12, 6:07pm
Hot Rod Addiction

This is unbelievable!
Old 2006-12-12, 6:21pm
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart View Post
I had suspected this would happen. In fact, if I remember correctly, I even ASKED if COM members would be paying more for the glass than what it would be selling for through distributors. I think I also commented something to the effect of....are COM members PAYING A PREMIUM for the privilege of being market testers for this glass. I was emphatically told NO.

I guess we all just have to draw our own conclusions about the integrity and professionalism with which this was handled.

There are members who paid for a year in advance AGES ago that still have glass not delivered.

Pay Pal monthly payments are being taken even though shipments are not being made. For instance, if you signed up for the "monthly subscription" on October 10, a payment was made on 10/10, 11/10 and 12/10, even though only 1 shipment was been sent since then.

There are foreign members who can't get emails answered.

Pepole were told they couldn't sell their glass...that whole hullabaloo.

Vendors are starting to make COM glass colors available to the public only a few short months after it was a "club exclusive". The original plan was 6 months.

COM glass is being sold CHEAPER through distributors than what club members paid for it. (Boy, this one REALLY chaps my hide.)

The colors have been, generally speaking, hard to work.

Colors seem to have been almost exactly the opposite of what club members had originally said they were interested in, even though club members were told their input was being taken into account.

Yes, I think it's very distressing how this whole thing worked out...or didn't. I was REALLY looking forward to this club thing and have been disappointed from the onset.

I stand by this: If this thing turns around I would GLADLY pay for glass each month. That would mean prompt, regular monthly shipments. The exclusivity policy holding true to 6 months. No issues with reselling the glass (I think that has been resolve though). A promise that we would not be paying more for the glass than what would be considered "normal retail" through distributors. Colors that don't make people grind their teeth in frustration.

I'm still hopeful....still watching....still holding onto my cash.
I'm 100% with you on this Kendra!