Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-30, 6:43pm

Default Copper mesh...Teach me, PLEASE!

A wonderful Australian SS sent me a 2" x 2" square peice of copper mesh. I have necer added any metal, foil, or mesh to any of my beads. Bsiacally, I have only added glass to my glass. SOOO, I am looking for instruction/advice on how to add copper mesh to my beadies! What can I do with it? How do I use it? Does it or my bead need any special treatment before I apply the mesh? I am so excited! I can't wait to hear what youguys have to say!
Old 2009-10-30, 7:07pm
Life is change. Love it

Cut a small piece of mesh. Make a base bead, make sure it is very hot then press the small piece of mesh gently into the surface. Encase in clear. Of course you can add other elements to make the bead more interesting.

There is also the Chaos technique which is described in a tut by Sherry Bellamy. She also describes this technique in her Shipwreck tut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-30, 7:31pm

Thanks!
Old 2009-10-31, 8:00am
Born Facing Left

Hi, Fanny!

You can totally add pieces of copper mesh to your beads, but you'll want to encase it immediately....otherwise it's not pretty, lol. So get it on there, and then keep the bead warm while keeping the copper out of the flame.....heat your encasing glass, and smoosh (technical term) it over the copper asap. Also, it will turn a weird gray color from the heat, but fear not....when you take it out of the kiln it will have reverted to it's 'proper' color.

I could go on and on....but I'm flying out of here to teach in Vancouver this weekend. Have fun! Copper rocks!!

Old 2009-10-31, 8:09am

Hey Sherry, why don't you let me hitch a ride in your carry on! I've never been to Vancouver, and I would LOVE to learn from you!!!
Old 2009-10-31, 7:58pm
Born Facing Left

Oh, Fanny, I should have said "rushing" out of here instead of flying, lol. It's only about an hour's drive from where I live. You can hitch a ride in my carry on to Moscow, though...but you'd need a visa by Wednesday! Or I'll be in California later in November....I guess I should get my rear end down to Florida one of these days, huh? I've never been there, but it looks so gorgeous, and so nice and WARM!!

Old 2009-10-31, 8:23pm

Yeah....and lots of bugs...lots of humidity...but don't let that stop you! I would love to see you! I have yet to take a class. EVERYTHING I have learned is from LE!!!!
Old 2009-11-01, 7:53am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Oh, Fanny, I should have said "rushing" out of here instead of flying, lol. It's only about an hour's drive from where I live. You can hitch a ride in my carry on to Moscow, though...but you'd need a visa by Wednesday! Or I'll be in California later in November....I guess I should get my rear end down to Florida one of these days, huh? I've never been there, but it looks so gorgeous, and so nice and WARM!!
Florida's lovely in January and February Ron and Rocio are somewhat centrally located and they're very near the Atlantic. Perhaps a winter escape? I'd certainly love to take a class with you.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2009-11-01, 8:52pm

It is nice duting Jan and Feb. When I first moved here, I was amazed at all the green left during the coldest months.
Old 2009-11-02, 4:45am
organically speaking

Yes, yes! Come to Florida. Come soon.

Old 2009-11-02, 11:19am
Born Facing Left

When I get back from Russia I'll get in touch with some of you Florida gals; it would be a really fun experience to teach in Florida...lots of new people to meet!

Old 2009-11-02, 11:44am

Yes, do take a class from Sherry! I was lucky enough to take her class in Vancouver this past weekend... totally awesome!! It was really nice to meet a very genuine and generous (not to mention talented) artist. Thank you again, Sherry!

Sue

Old 2009-11-02, 12:39pm
Born Facing Left

Ah, thanks so much, Sue! It was great meeting and teaching you! I hope all is well with you and your family, you can drop me an email maybe? I'm here 'til Wednesday morning.