LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-01-10, 7:27pm
"Twirl that Honey round".

Default Free tutorial-treatise on Color and Composition for Beadmakers

Free to the Craftsmen and Craftswomen who want to find and create a personal system for understanding and selecting their Colors. Compositional principals thrown in if you can wade thru the personal opinions. Be forewarned, work is involved, to get the most out of this. Reading it only will have limited benefits. Print and share is allowed. 25 pages, no pictures. Go to my friends website Starfieldglass.com and click on the link at the bottom of the pictures, look for Selecting Color Artistically. Good Hunting (for color of course)

Last edited by fcfmountain; 2010-01-12 at 3:47am.
Old 2010-01-12, 12:33am

Thank you Tim. Just copied it and am off to bed to read. Very generous of you to share. Do you have any pics to get ideas on how you worked it? Kind of you to take the time. I appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-12, 4:00am

Ah you caught me! I am being 'Stinky' with a reason. I was urged by one of my proof readers to include pictures with each step. My other proofreader did not. One proofreader is still hazy about her Color selection process and tends to need reminding of some principles, though she has a much better grasp of things then before. She is still a bit timid and tends to select what she is comfortable with. The other dove in with sissors and glue and made her own learning aids and incorporates them into her thinking and classes. Which of these two living examples do you think I would like you to be? TIM
Old 2010-01-12, 8:35am
Boro Bum

OMG I am more confused then ever.
Thanks for your time and to share but I'll pass and just do what i have been doing, and that's picking what looks good to me at the time no Rhyme or reason. I think that's what makes us all different.

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-12, 5:32pm
He can do the origami

Wow a treatise even.... I barely have the attention span for an essay.

Otter
Old 2010-01-12, 9:28pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Makes me want to take a color theory class. I am a visual learner, so trying to picture the boards was where I got a little lost, but I appreciate the time you spent describing your process. I giggled a lot too.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-12, 9:57pm
Angel's Mom

I think pictures would help illustrate some of the concepts. I'm a visual learner.

I sometimes have trouble deciding choosing "good" glass combinations, and I thought this had some great suggestions for coming up with those. I look forward to trying it.
Old 2010-01-12, 11:20pm

Looking forward to the read. It is printing as I type. Thanks Jodie

Worlds in miniature a passion for murrini - Jodie McDougall
Old 2010-01-13, 4:59am

Acidfly , Viva la Differerance! You are undoubtedly one of those artists that has an uncanny grasp and instinctive understanding of what colors go with each other. The rest of us have to work very hard at what we grasp. And some aren't ready to grow into this area yet in this way. I say "print it, put it in a folder, place it on the shelf and one day you might be ready for just this process." Or one of your 'Bead Buds' is. Don't wait till this thread fades away and is buried so deep in the que that you can't find it again. TIM
Old 2010-01-13, 5:35am
Boro Bum

cool thx again

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-13, 8:48am

Thanks! I'm half way through. Printing out color wheels before I go further. This is exactly what I've been looking for with a lot of laughs along the way. My attention span would not permit me to read 25 pages with no pictures or laughs . THANK YOU

"She said she cried at least once a day, not because she was sad, but because the world is so beautiful and life is so short" Brian Andreas

Last edited by LisaAF; 2010-01-13 at 9:28am. Reason: SPELLING!!!! arrgg
Old 2010-01-13, 6:17pm

Default Thank you!

Tim,

Thanks for all your effort in writing your experiences down! I'm enjoying the narrative. I'm beginning to bog down around page 6 with the 'lecture' part BUT I'm determined to make it through. I've had these theories in art class so it's not totally new. I'm looking forward to shoveling myself out of my rut. I haven't been satisfied with my beads, something is missing, I'm not sure what to do next, I think your 'study' is just the ticket.

Thanks for sharing!

Bette
Old 2010-01-15, 1:34am

Bette. Isn't that So True. We had this in Art Class. But how do we put this into practical usage? How can it apply to Glass? (of which they certainly never let us play with in HS Art class) It took me a long time to quit wandering around and get practical about making theory into usable practicality. It takes extra effort and extra work and time that could be spent torching. But the investment pays off very handsomely indeed. TIM
Old 2010-01-15, 3:39pm
Cake for me too please

Thank you for sharing. I am color challenged. Now I have homework for the weekend!
Old 2010-01-15, 11:30pm
Tassie Devil

Thanks for going to all that effort. I've printed it out - now off to read it!

Today, right now, is a gift - that's why they call it the present!

Old 2010-01-25, 6:07pm

Tim,
Thanks for sharing all your hard work and knowledge with every one here. I am new to lampworking and starve for new information. My understanding of color is limited by what I learned in high school (20+ years) and what I may have learned is mostly gone. HA! I understood most of what you were explaining about color wheels but got lost in the "triads and tetrads". I noticed a lot of people were. I found an excellent web site that explained everything about these different color combinations. I thought I would share this with everyone since I have learned so much here.
Thanks again for all YOUR help!
Steph
Old 2010-01-25, 6:08pm

Oh, I forgot to list the web site, blonde moment!

http://www.color-wheel-artist.com/index.html

Steph
Old 2010-01-25, 8:51pm
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknathinwire View Post
Oh, I forgot to list the web site, blonde moment!

http://www.color-wheel-artist.com/index.html

Steph

This is awesome! Thanx for posting!
Old 2010-01-26, 7:14am

Just read all 25 pages. Thanks so very much for all the great information. Really made me think how I view color and it's abililty to capture mood. Now I've got lots of homework. This is something I will revisit again and again.
Old 2010-01-30, 7:44pm

Thank you ! This was very nice of you to do.

Old 2010-02-01, 5:17pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

OK Tim...... I'm almost finished reading the whole 25 pages, purchased my poster boards and shocked the paint counter lady when I grabbed "every" paint color swatch in the Olympic brand paint section. Still have to print up my color wheel but I'm ready to getter'done!! Thanks for all your hard work, lots of information as well as gads of comedic getures........:0)

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-02-07, 1:38pm

I've gotten very into color lately as I also do beading work. Thanks very much. Just downloaded the info and can't wait to read it.
Old 2010-02-09, 1:12pm

hee hee

I did what Sandy did. I hit up Home Depot and Walmart. I have them all cut out and now that I am down from the surgery it is my goal to get them all organized. I bought a notebook and some of those clear card holders that go in the notebook. (The ones that hold baseball cards) I also have put up foam core and did a test bead on every color I have, marked with number and name and any other info (striking or reducing). I will be doing this for all the MFGs of glass I have. The information was great and very inspiring.
Old 2010-02-09, 1:17pm

I finished reading last night and thought it was great. I'm very glad you included the places for the eye to rest part. I've taught beading (with seed beads) for about five years and have always emphasized that. It's amazing what a difference it makes. I thought it was well thought out and well put together with a lot of great info. Now to act on it all. Thank you again.
Old 2010-02-19, 6:39am
Angel's Mom

Has anyone found a good place to color copy your swatches? I've tried separating them by color/hue/tint and copying them but I can't find a local copier that makes a copy that's close enough to the real thing for me.
Old 2010-02-19, 5:20pm

I heard Kinko's is good but you might want to do some sampling. Hand them one, have a look at their color copy,(and price) try another company and compare. It will probably be well worth the effort you put into it. If you trust your system then you will be more likely to stick with it! ( besides, it's loads of fun getting a handle on this- so what if you are snowed in?) TIM
Old 2010-03-18, 9:32pm
Angel's Mom

Default My results

It's Spring Break, and I finally had time to dedicate to working on this project. What fun!

Here is Board One (104 Opaques):

I have at least one of each color from Effetre, Vetrofond, ASK, CIM, and many Lauschas. What took the most time was finding just the right swatch to match--sometimes I couldn't find the perfect fit, and had to settle for the closest match. Then I had to decide which color to put the swatch under (Organics/Greens/Yellows/Oranges/Reds/Pinks/Purples/Purple-Blues/Green-Blues) which was alot harder than it sounded. And the color copies...I could never make them exactly match the swatches (the copy centers' copiers don't do precise color matching, no matter how I arranged the pages).

I skipped Board Two for now, and I combined Boards Three and Four:

This was the Color Wheel, Complimentary Colors, Split Complimentary, Triads, Tetrads, Pentads, and Value board.

I learned a LOT about color theory (and paint swatches) from this tutorial and discovered a lot of combinations I had never considered. Don't know if I'll get to Board Five soon--that may be a project for Summer Break!

Thanks for the hard work creating this tutorial, Tim!

Last edited by krisb16; 2010-03-18 at 9:37pm.
Old 2010-03-18, 9:39pm

Good job Kris! Where did you get most of your swatches?

Michelle

Old 2010-03-18, 9:52pm
Angel's Mom

Sherwin Williams and True Value. One charged, the other just gave me an extra set. Also stopped by Wally World and picked up some single colors. I noticed Home Depot has them too. The nice thing is, along with just single swatches, they often have brochures with nice, coordinating color combos in the pictures. Sometimes you have to ask about the swatches--they may be behind the counter. I also learned that new swatch decks come out yearly, and often they throw the old ones out, so if you know someone who works at a paint store, you might be able to get the one they were going to toss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymeme123 View Post
Good job Kris! Where did you get most of your swatches?

Michelle
Old 2010-03-18, 9:59pm

Thank you Kris!

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb16 View Post
Sherwin Williams and True Value. One charged, the other just gave me an extra set. Also stopped by Wally World and picked up some single colors. I noticed Home Depot has them too. The nice thing is, along with just single swatches, they often have brochures with nice, coordinating color combos in the pictures. Sometimes you have to ask about the swatches--they may be behind the counter. I also learned that new swatch decks come out yearly, and often they throw the old ones out, so if you know someone who works at a paint store, you might be able to get the one they were going to toss.