No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-09, 8:26pm
It's about having fun!

Default I can't see my flame!

I can't see my flame! Help please! I've only been at the torch about 6 months. I have always worked on my previous patio which was quite sheltered from sun light. We just moved and I haven't been at the torch for over a month. I have an inside studio ready, but now I'm scared to light a torch inside, which is another story. Anyway, I now have my set up on the new patio (I live in Arizona) which has alot of exposure to light. Now, I can't see the flame during the day, how bizzare! I use a hot head.. I tried putting down a very dark brown tile on the table which is where my view hits through the flame..that worked a bit, but not really... any suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old 2011-01-09, 8:53pm

Ummm .... sorry I'd move it inside. Only other thing I can think of is to put up and screen around the torch to give you some backdrop but not cut off the sunlight completely...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-09, 9:21pm
Alaska Boro

The same issue with a Scorpoin on natural gas. Blocked all outside room light. Then only added enough light to work by. Found that a pair to two daylight 100 watt CFL's (23 watts) were two bright. Changed out to one with a color temperature closer to the old incandescent lamps with the wattage at 40 (CFL 13 watts). What flame is visible is easier to see with yellow light than with blue.

However, finding that it is not as important to see the flame. In place use the glow of the bead and color of the melting glass.
Old 2011-01-09, 9:32pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you, Hmmm I could hang some outdoor shades up..yes, that's what I was having to do was just watch the bead and the glow and I know somewhat what the torch sounds like at the right flame, but it's really annoying.... Oh, maybe I should have started a thread just to get words of encouragement to work inside.. my small studio is very nice and ready to go.... oh boy
Old 2011-01-10, 4:52am

I used to have my torch set up in our sun room and had the same problem when I tried to work in the daylight. I went to a flooring store and when I told them what I needed and why, they gave me a 12x12 black tile that has a flat finish. I set it on my workbench in front of the torch and the dark background cured the problem!
Old 2011-01-10, 5:19am
I fart diamonds

Put up a curtain to block some of the light, along with getting the black surface (the curtain will also block some of the breeze for a steadier flame). Black tile is the best but you can also just paint the top of your table. If it's metal, use black appliance paint.

Old 2011-01-10, 8:36am

yup, what Karen said.... I use a 12x12 graphite plate under the front of the torch.. a blakc tile would work great too! It will help any lampworker no matter what setting your torch is in. If you have not done this yet, do a test to see how it helps you see in the flame.
Ron
Old 2011-01-10, 8:54am
The Queen of Sofa King

Jonibird, are you in the Phoenix or Tucson areas? If you're in or near Phoenix, you're welcome to come see my studio - it's in the house. The Arizona Society of Glass Beadmakers is from the Phoenix area http://azsgb.org/ and is full of wonderful helpful lampworkers! Tucson has a glass bead society too - you might try pm'ing margaretz (Margaret Zinser) if you're down in that area.

Old 2011-01-10, 6:48pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you for the help all, that makes sense to me. I'll look for a black tile and maybe some shades. My last patio was so dark I never had that problem. Amazon that's really neat you are from Iowa, I lived most of my life there. I haven't seen many people from Iowa here.
Thank you Carol for the invite, maybe that would give me some courage!
I lived in Chandler and just moved up the road a ways to Gilbert.
I haven't felt worthy of joining the Arizona Society yet, also I'm terrible at attending meetings of any sort, it always sounds fun, then when the time comes I back out. I just learned not to set myself up for that anymore, but it would be fun. I don't know anyone else that does flameworking. That's why I love it here!
Thank you for your support guys!
Old 2011-01-10, 9:43pm
The Queen of Sofa King

Hey, I live in Chandler! I'll PM you my contact info. You should definitely join the ASGB - I joined back in 2000 when I was making horrible wonkies and met a wonderful, non-judgmental group who were more than eager to help!

Old 2011-01-10, 9:55pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you Carol, I really appreciate it! I know, I need to make myself just get out and do some stuff!