Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-29, 5:39pm

Question Current best 104 clear?

I know opinions change as formulations change. A few years ago it seemed like Lauscha was the fave for a nice, clear 104. Is this the case or is there something better now? I have an itch to do some plunged dots, but not sure which clear to use. It has been a long time since I have used that technique! Also, I found some clear in my stash that *might* be Lauscha but I can't tell for sure. One unique characteristic about it us that the ends of the rods seem filed/ground. Has anyone else gotten their Lauscha that way? The only other thing it could be is 96 Uroboros clear I got for playing around with Val Cox frit. Anyway, thanks for your input.
Edit: I'm a dork. Ignore me.

Last edited by kokeshikitten; 2012-02-29 at 7:08pm. Reason: Needs a clue.
Old 2012-02-29, 5:56pm
Smile, it's contagious!

another clear thread?

The best clears I've used are both from Double Helix ... aether & zephyr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-02-29, 6:00pm
Unmedicated since '62

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-02-29, 6:11pm
Lampworkaholic!

You can test your clear by making a small encased bead, if the base is 104 and the clear is Uroboros, the bead will crack.

My personal go-to clear is TAG Clarity, but depending on what I am doing, I will use Effetre Super Clear or Reichenbach or DH Aether, and I still have some old Diamond Clear and Vetrofond from back when.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-29, 6:59pm

Oops! Sorry.
Old 2012-02-29, 7:13pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokeshikitten View Post
Oops! Sorry.
No need to be. I was just teasing Jamie Lynn. (she'll be along soon, I'm sure.)

Also forgot to mention that I've only used the 2nds of DH clears and they are awesome, so I can just imagine how nice the 1st quality rods are.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-02-29, 8:06pm
da General

Double Helix Aether and Zephyr are the only two clears I use on the outside of beads. I do use Effetre as core but always fully encase that with another glass.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-02-29, 8:16pm
Tweedle Dumb

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-02-29, 8:16pm
Catnip Pusher

I love Clarity - when it works. I got a bad batch so I'm using DH clear now.

Aimee
Old 2012-03-01, 5:16pm
Tweedle Dumb

"Asking for advise about clear glass is like asking a stranger for relationship advise." ~Me

We don't know how you work, or what you work with. We don't know your torch or your glass, or how good is "good enough" for you. You just have to find what is right for you.

Effetre super clear is my go-to. Other people hate it.

Aether and Zephyr are favorites of many of my friends, I dislike the price and I don't like it's "melty-ness"

Lausha is notorious for causing breakage.

Clarity seems to be hit and miss.

Apparently CIM clear sucks according to a recent clear thread.

I stick with what works. Effetre.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2012-03-02 at 6:14am.
Old 2012-03-01, 9:37pm

I wound up ordering some Zephyr. A tiny bit, just to try it out. I used to like Lauscha, except for the breakage issues. Which are a dealbreaker. Crossing my fingers.
Old 2012-07-05, 11:35am
Insane? You're Insane!

How was it? I have been trying to figure out which to order. I use a very hot torch and turn it down, but still seem to have scummy or black spots on my clear. Right now I have CiM...any suggestions?
Old 2012-07-06, 10:17am

Maybe you need to work higher up in the flame. When you work too close to the head you can get carbon in the glass.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:49am

A hot torch will not cause black spots or scum. It will make the glass boil which could LOOK like scum. I work on an extremely hot torch with no problems but I think maybe your mixture might be off? Not enough oxy?

Effetre is what I use. Pale Aqua is good too but has a slight blue cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbryant1 View Post
How was it? I have been trying to figure out which to order. I use a very hot torch and turn it down, but still seem to have scummy or black spots on my clear. Right now I have CiM...any suggestions?

Old 2012-07-06, 12:18pm
I like to melt things

I like Reichenbach Crystal and the new Uroboros 104COE clear noodles best right now.

I don't like the meltiness of DHX Aether or how it takes a long time to set and stop being 'sticky'.

I have never had any luck with any of the batches of CiM Clear that I've tried. I had cracking issues with silver glass as well as a lot of boily scumminess, although it's been two or more years since I've tried any.

I don't like EFF 006 and EFF 004 Clear. Both are scummy for me, and I am just not going to spend any time pickling or peeling my Clear before I use it. I am having some weird cracking issues, also, that I am tentatively pinning on my most recent batch of 006.

I haven't tried Lauscha Reformulated Clear in ages, but I remember liking it.

I haven't tried Kugler, TAG Clarity or DHX Zephyr.

I miss Diamond Clear from before Diamond Clear became a problem.

-
-
Old 2012-07-06, 2:09pm

Your ground ends are probably just from the long rods being sawed into thirds.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-07-06, 3:09pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I like Reichenbach Crystal and the new Uroboros 104COE clear noodles best right now.
Aren't the clear noodles really expensive???
Old 2012-07-06, 5:33pm

Not wild about Reichenbach - hard to melt. Love DH's clears but only use them on absolutely tried and true, done that before, beads and other DH colors.

CIM bubbles a lot for me.

Have some Lauscha that is yellowish.

Tried some Vetro clear last night, and it's my luck that I really liked it now that they aren't making any more glass!

Effetre super clear seems to be a middle of the road, safe glass that works just fine.

Haven't tried the Uro noodles - they make a fabulous clear in their fusing line!

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-07-06, 5:50pm

Wink

or you could go to this post in the marbles forum.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225985
Old 2012-07-06, 5:56pm

if you like them on the soft side, CIM is decent. so long as you work it cool. i've been using that almost exclusively for the last couple months, and at $10 +/- a pound it's a good deal.
Old 2012-07-06, 11:09pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I've always had very good luck with the reformulated Lauscha. Never had any breakage due to using it. Lucky??? Maybe so, but as long as it works for me, why mess up a good thing? Just my 2 cents.

Jack

Old 2012-07-06, 11:43pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Aren't the clear noodles really expensive???
Yeah, I guess they are. I bought a bunch of them to try and I'm sort of hooked now though. It works out to very little money per bead, so I will probably keep buying it. I wish they were making other colours apart from black. I wonder if they will?

-
-
Old 2012-07-08, 10:01am

Lauscha "Reformulated" is my favorite that I've used.

Last edited by dusty; 2012-09-22 at 7:09pm.

Tags
gahhhhhhhh