Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-01-27, 5:49pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Default Almost forgot Eyewear questions......

Ok
So I just realized that my soft glass glasses are not going to work for boro.
I went to frantz site and found these http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....ex&cPath=26_28

seems to be for someone like me......just starting out, feeling the waters.......
do I wear them on my didys? and what about that shade thing.........shade 3 or 5 or does it matter? just preference?

I have a small face, even my small didys fall off my face

OH< and on my didys if I get a boro clip on can I put them on my didys and ALSO, will my stick on magnifiers stay on the didys or would i switch or ????
Gosh so many questions............

It sure feels like starting all over again exciting,scary,confusing LOL

Thank you!!!
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-27, 5:51pm
Loving learning

I am in the same position, and I think I'm going with the clip ons. I also wear glasses & so will have my glasses, the diddys, and the clip ons. My face is going to feel pretty heavy! LOL
Old 2012-01-27, 6:02pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Do you know what the difference is in shade 3 and shade 5? or what we would need?
Yea, I wear stick ons cause my presecriptions would not fit underneath. that would be way too much

Old 2012-01-27, 6:10pm
put a bird on it

I used the clip-ons to start, which worked great. I found shade 5 was necessary to reduce the flare and so that my eyes didn't hurt. The clip-ons do make your glasses heavier, so I used a glasses strap to hold it all on. (Really cute!)

After I decided to stick with the boro, I went ahead and ordered a shield.

ETA The shade 5s are darker and offer better protection, but are harder to see through.
Old 2012-01-27, 6:22pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thank you Elise!!!
Sue

Old 2012-01-27, 6:33pm
Loving learning

I googled and found this thread right here on glasses.

I'm so conFused!!!!
Old 2012-01-27, 7:05pm
Mr Brutus RIP

LOL

Old 2012-01-27, 7:24pm

I used shade 3's over my didys until I got serious and got boro shades. 5 was way too dark for me when I was just doing beads. Now I have a 3/5 split and the 5 comes in very handy for larger hotter stuff.

Old 2012-01-27, 7:30pm
Mr Brutus RIP

oh, ok........well I work pretty small so I guess I'll go with the 3's. Then if someday I want to go bigger I will know to go with 5's
Thanks Rebecca!

Oh, I have got to say......have you seen the talking dog on youtube that is now in a commercial? Your avatar dog looks just like him........when I see your avatar he looks like he's getting ready to say something.......like "hey lady, stop staring at me" LOL
Cute!! My family is obcessed with that video......my dh laughs almost to tears and then they all walk around immitating the dog/human LOL
Thanks!
Sue

Old 2012-01-27, 8:03pm

I use #3 its the ones that fit over my prescriptions. If you are just playing get the clip-ons and just clip them to your prescription glasses don't worry about the diddys. The clip ons are cheap if I remember correctly. But when you think about it you are going to love working with boro so just bite the bullet and get the fit overs (lol) and take them to your local eye glass store and ask them to adjust the arms to stay put. And get them to adjust your diddys encase you want to work with soft. They usually only charge you 5 or 10 dollars to adjust.
Luv that dog too!

Old 2012-01-27, 8:31pm

There is some bad advice in some of this thread-

You need to wear didys. Always. You can get away without 3's or 5's for a few hours.

The didys block not only the yellow, but also the IR and UV light that the glass gives off. This is what damages your eyes.

Old 2012-01-27, 8:47pm

I have seen the talking dog video. Mine does have a little GSD in her but up close she doesn't look too much like that dog. She was begging me to go for a walk when I took that pic and got her big black rubber gums stuck on her teeth so she's smiling.

Oh, and Sue, your stick on magnifiers can stay right on your didys where they are. You guys might want to check your local welding supply for clip-on shades. Sometimes they have them, but I'd call first cuz sometimes they don't.

Old 2012-01-27, 8:52pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Rebecca thats too funny, I LOVE when they smile!!!
Thanks for the info, glad I can keep using my stick ons......
As for welding supply, what do I ask for? Is it something harbor freight might carry?

Thank you!!!
Sue

Old 2012-01-27, 11:10pm

I didn't realize that people wear didys with their boro shades. When I went in to the glass shop and asked for glasses to use when I melted boro they gave me the #3 fit over's. Is there something I am missing. Is there an article that will give me more info cause I would like to read it. I really don't want to trash my eyes or give advice for others to do the same.

Old 2012-01-27, 11:33pm

Here's the thing--
You need didys or their equivalent. They block the yellow flame. If you can see a yellow flame, you don't have the right glasses. Darker shades also protect they eyes, but you might as well not wear them if you don't have something that blocks the yellow flame.

I use #5 clip-ons on top of my normal didys.

Old 2012-01-28, 12:10am

I have #3 boro glasses I forget the make but I will check tomorrow,and when I look at the flame there is no yellow flame (solar flare?) are some #3's better than others.

Old 2012-01-28, 1:26am

Boroscope with Shade 3 Green Filter Lens with Large Economy Plastic Frame Protective Eyewear.
Phillips Boroscopes were designed to meet the need for extra IR and UV radiation protection when working with borosilicate glass. Phillips Boroscopes are specially formulated glass filter lenses that Phillips Safety Products exclusively owns. These lenses have been developed for the lampworking and glassblowing markets. This revolutionary product is lighter in weight than other conventional laminated products and comes in a full coverage lens which is a better design because there are no areas that are not shaded. Boroscopes should be worn when working on hard glass types where regular didymium or ACE-202 are not adequate because of insufficient filtration of ultraviolet and infra-red absorption. Boroscopes are available in a comparable 3 or 5 shade depending on your personal preference.

This is what it said with the boroscope glasses. This is what I wear. Below is what it says about the clip on's. To me it sounds like the clip on's are for over didy's and the other glass are a wear alone.

Phillips Clip-on Flip-up Shade 3.0. Shade 3 is much lighter than Shade 5. If you are using didymiums instead of the proper borosilicate glass eye protection and you are not ready to purchase a proper pair, you can use these clip-ons temporarily.

Old 2012-01-28, 1:53am

The new ace202 are thechoice of most of our customers and then #5s for more
Intense work haven''t sold many #3s lately for boro

Old 2012-01-28, 9:01am
Borovangelist

Yes, you need the didymium as a base.

If you're working mainly clear boro, you can get away with the shade 3's.

If you're working a lot of color, large, thick pieces, or have sensitive eyes, you'll want shade 5 lenses because of the brighter flare from the color, but also the added heat being emitted by the glass. Blue eyes are more sensitive.

The shade 3 lenses from the welding shop, if I recall correctly, only cut down the IR and UV emissions. You still need the didy base to cut the sodium flare (the yellow flame).

Clip ons degrade over time and with heavy use, so consider investing in a decent pair of laminated lenses.

|
|
Old 2012-01-28, 9:08am

Ok so I have the Boroscope with Shade 3 Green Filter Lens from phillips like the ones Lori is talking about so it does sound like they do the trick. But it also sounds like there is a #3 clip-on that doesn't. Thanks for sharing Lori.

Old 2012-01-28, 9:08am

You can also look into getting a torch mounted shield for use with boro as well.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2012-01-28, 9:11am

I do like the idea of the shield because it protects the face as well as the eyes. That will be my next eye protection purchase.

Old 2012-01-28, 9:15am
Mr Brutus RIP

well, I only work about 6 hours a week, sometimes less, RARELY ever more than 6 a week.
(and I have brown eyes ) I took from the frantz site that I had to wear the clip on the didys and since that is where my stick ons are anyway........

I'd love a bench sheild but my bench is so crowded as it is!! LOL
sue

Old 2012-01-28, 9:19am
Borovangelist

Some people mount them to their torches. I know of at least one person that has a shield suspended from the ceiling

|
|
Old 2012-01-28, 10:00am
boro color bender

and here I sit... 11 years into this wearing just my ACE almost 100% of the time... it's a wonder I can see to type this out... my eyes surely should have burned up by now... I'm not saying adding shade 3 or shade 5 to your ACE is a bad idea... I'm just saying I can't see jack when I do it... if I add enough ambient light to see with those dark shades on, I can't read the heat base in the glass very well... I know a few old timers that don't wear anything other than the $40 diddys... have for their whole flame working career... one with out the extra layer of prescription lens I have... and he's been working boro since before color and color since it came out... daily... full time... and his eyes haven't stopped working one bit... there is a whole lot of myth, fear based info and speculation when it comes to what you need to work boro... soft glass is not so much different than boro... especially if you're working the silver colors...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2012-01-28, 10:15am

I thought the diddys just block sodium flare that is not really to hard on the eyes. It is more painfull but does not cause the same damage as the UV and IR.

Phillips boroscopes are really the way to go I have both the economy shade three and fit over shade 5 glasses. They are both good for different aspects of lamping, I think you can special order shade 4's that are a happy medium from mountainglass.
http://www.phillips-safety.com/store/index.php?cPath=40
Old 2012-01-28, 10:52am

try a blast shield - I don't know how I did boro for so many years without one, really helps with heat
-> http://theblastshield.com/
Old 2012-01-28, 6:56pm
boro color bender

My prescription lenses will block UV and IR... the ACE lenses will also block some of the IR... any lens will... some are just more complete blockers... IR is heat... plain and simple... most of the items made on this board don't even produce much IR...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2012-01-28, 8:13pm
Borovangelist

It's definitely a "your mileage may vary" situation. But I know that even with my 5's that if I don't blink enough my night vision doesn't come back as quickly afterwards, so I try not to take the chance.

But yeah, there are old schoolers that still just wear their pinks.

|
|
Old 2012-01-30, 9:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
and here I sit... 11 years into this wearing just my ACE almost 100% of the time... it's a wonder I can see to type this out... my eyes surely should have burned up by now... I'm not saying adding shade 3 or shade 5 to your ACE is a bad idea... I'm just saying I can't see jack when I do it... if I add enough ambient light to see with those dark shades on, I can't read the heat base in the glass very well... I know a few old timers that don't wear anything other than the $40 diddys... have for their whole flame working career... one with out the extra layer of prescription lens I have... and he's been working boro since before color and color since it came out... daily... full time... and his eyes haven't stopped working one bit... there is a whole lot of myth, fear based info and speculation when it comes to what you need to work boro... soft glass is not so much different than boro... especially if you're working the silver colors...
My thoughts too a lot of myth out there.. The new Ace 202 at least you can see what your doing. LOL