AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-21, 4:16pm

Question Silver Capped beads - how long to cut the tubing?

I have no problem measuring and cutting sterling tubing the right length for regular silver cored beads but I seem to be challenged when measuring for the ones with silver caps. My normal 'extra' on each side of the bead is not enough - I messed upo quite a few already!! Any hints as to how much 'extra' you need sticking out BEYOND the cap? And yes, I do measure with the caps on the ends of the bead but once I start flaring I don't seem to have enough!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and also ......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cheeky monkey; 2009-02-21 at 4:16pm. Reason: spelling biff
Old 2009-02-22, 10:30am

I haven't done any beads with caps as I'm still waiting on my tumbler to come in, but I usually leave add 3mm over my measurement on my beads to get really nice flairs and rolls so you might give that a try. I'd be interested in seeing the one's you've capped.
Old 2009-02-22, 10:33am

Here is what I do: put the caps and the bead on a mandrel and measure the width at the bead hole, then add 2.5mm (but I cut outside the pen mark, so 3mm if you cut on the line).

Ginko Beads
Old 2009-02-22, 11:44am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I add 3 mm as well,just to make sure the tubing folds over the caps nicely

Old 2009-02-22, 1:10pm

okee dokee - i will try that. I bought some gorgeous sterling caps and hate to mess them up. If they end up halfway decent I will post a pic!

Thanks

and also ......

Last edited by cheeky monkey; 2009-02-22 at 1:11pm. Reason: I still can't spell apparently :)
Old 2009-02-22, 4:00pm

I add 2mm each side ... so 4mm extra total