LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-04, 12:36pm

OK - I am officially an idiot - those beads were clear - don't know why I remember the light green - maybe I tried to get the effect with light emerald or just advancing age.....sorry about that. It's a very subtle effect that adds all sorts of sparkle - almost like interior faceting.
Old 2011-02-04, 3:02pm

I don't have any questions, don't know enough to know what to ask. Your beads are beautiful,this is so very nice of you to do.
Old 2011-02-04, 4:40pm

Ms. Kalera,

No questions but a very warm Mahalo! for your generosity.

~ Alpha
Old 2011-02-04, 4:49pm
Biscuit Lover

http://www.beadwife.com/xv/shop/imag...s/11810.4.jpeg

Did you ever figure out if this was Reich 104 pearl pink or Reich mystic pink?
Old 2011-02-04, 5:46pm

Kalera thank you so much for this thread and your generosity. I've admired your beads for years. I don't have any questions but I've learned a lot from the info you've already given.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-02-04, 5:48pm
Mad about Glass

Thank you Kalera. This is a truly generous and inspiring act on your part.

[url]

Old 2011-02-04, 5:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
I bought a kilo of the Loetz gold a while back and it came in a plastic tub. The label said that it is COE 93.
Yup - I got mine in the tub too. I have the blue green too - I will check the label on that one.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-04, 7:00pm

If anyone got a tub of Loetz Green Gold would they check their labels on those? My label didn't state a coe, and that was the only one that came in a tub

Kalera, I've been learning so much from this and I thought that I was ALREADY addicted... And you're giving me so many wonderful ideas!!!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-02-04, 9:57pm
Critter Mom

Thank you for sharing so much of your talent and technique with us. It's difficult to find information on using Bullseye and that's all I use. Today I had a frog bead to make and thought that using your "recipe" of a french vanilla base, silver foil, translucent frit and encasing might make a nice base bead. I'm so excited, it looked beautiful and organic when I put it in the kiln...can hardly wait to see what comes out in the morning. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you so much.

Old 2011-02-05, 5:26am
Ave

Wow what a great thread this is!! Thanks to everyone for pitching in with info for the Loetz frits. Now that it seems the COE is 93 instead of 87 I am going to try it on 96 glass instead of just the Bullseye.
Ave

Old 2011-02-05, 6:04am
Wait.....what?

Another question.
In your frit recipe you add that you tumble the beads.
Do you think you could get the same or similar effect using an etching liquid or paste?

Old 2011-02-05, 6:59am
The Andrea Half

That's a good question. If you can, tumbling's safer but etching's a whale of a lot faster unless you use abrasive tumbling media. I have tumbled beads in jewelry before and never had them etched, but I didn't need to tumble for very long and I was using steel shot to polish, not ceramic or steel-with-abrasive-liquid.

Old 2011-02-05, 7:09am
Wait.....what?

Yeah, and I lost my tumbler in a move, somewhere along the way.
I'm thinking it would be cheaper for experimentation to try etching medium.

Old 2011-02-05, 8:15am

Love this thread. It's amazing how a discussion about frit brings out so much really good info. And it's all because Kalera is amazingly generous.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:42am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki B. View Post
OK - I am officially an idiot - those beads were clear - don't know why I remember the light green - maybe I tried to get the effect with light emerald or just advancing age.....sorry about that. It's a very subtle effect that adds all sorts of sparkle - almost like interior faceting.

You are not an idiot! I misremember colors all the time!

Those beads are Gaffer clear frit over Uroboros clear; the slight difference in viscosity between the two glasses gives it a prism effect.

Old 2011-02-05, 10:44am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen milligan View Post
http://www.beadwife.com/xv/shop/imag...s/11810.4.jpeg

Did you ever figure out if this was Reich 104 pearl pink or Reich mystic pink?
It is Mystic pink! I re-ordered.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 8:05am.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:45am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
Thank you for sharing so much of your talent and technique with us. It's difficult to find information on using Bullseye and that's all I use. Today I had a frog bead to make and thought that using your "recipe" of a french vanilla base, silver foil, translucent frit and encasing might make a nice base bead. I'm so excited, it looked beautiful and organic when I put it in the kiln...can hardly wait to see what comes out in the morning. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you so much.
Oh yay! I hope you'll post a pic!

Old 2011-02-05, 10:50am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadnphule View Post
Another question.
In your frit recipe you add that you tumble the beads.
Do you think you could get the same or similar effect using an etching liquid or paste?
Yes and no; I have seen chemically etched beads that had a similar finish, but the etching effect is different on Bullseye, which I use a lot of, and I believe Uroboros and some of the furnace frits are also more resistant to etching than Effetre, so I use tumbling to get a uniform, consistent satin matte finish on everything regardless of COE. I just put my beads in the tumbler in the evening and pull them out in the morning. If you use a tumbler for polishing jewelry, you will need a separate barrel for the abrasive medium!

Old 2011-02-05, 10:53am

Ahhhh - the theory you are teaching everyone! It's a beautiful effect. Now I guess I need to order some gaffer clear frit....... Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
You are not an idiot! I misremember colors all the time!

Those beads are Gaffer clear frit over Uroboros clear; the slight difference in viscosity between the two glasses gives it a prism effect.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:59am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki B. View Post
Ahhhh - the theory you are teaching everyone! It's a beautiful effect. Now I guess I need to order some gaffer clear frit....... Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.
You can get a very similar effect in color with any pale transparent frit over clear base glass with slightly different viscosity; I find that almost all furnace frit brands over Uroboros clear will do it. Have fun!

Old 2011-02-05, 1:17pm
LE cat whisperer

Hi Kalera! I think this is one of the kindest things you are doing. I sent you an email btw through your website.
Thank You so much!

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~

Last edited by GlassMigrations; 2011-02-05 at 1:58pm.
Old 2011-02-05, 3:26pm
I'm a lilac!

I got it, Tanya... thank you! You did a beautiful job of compiling the information! I've uploaded it to Scribd and will post the link as soon as it's finished converting.

Old 2011-02-05, 4:16pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
And where do you find the Loetz glass?
When I saw some beads you made with it a while back Kalera I looked but couldn't find anyone supplying them.
Where did you find the frit Ave?

If you don't have Bullseye will it work in small amounts?
Anna, if you need some Bullseye I have a metric crap ton
and would be glad to send you some. I am inexperienced with sending
stuff overseas so PM me and give me the low-down on the best/cheapest
way to get it to you and the colors you like.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-05, 4:22pm
><>

Here is the link to that page- the Loetz is buried in the Ullman area.

http://www.sprucepinebatch.com/ullmann.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunting View Post
Don't know if this is going to copy? Some info from Spruce Pine Branch on Ullman & Loetz.
Looks like the yellow stuff might be glue?

Explanation of Ullman Colors
"Powder" - is a granulate finer than 1 ,00 mm
"Chips" - are granulates of 1,00 to 8,50 mm.

All Ullman color products can be used at regular working temperatures, i.e.: between 1150 to 1250 degrees C/ 2100 to 2280 degrees F. The annealing temperature is the one used for the base glass.

Powders, and chips may be used without preheating. The best way to apply them is by dipping them.

The Loetz colors are 5010, 5020, 5030, and 5040. The gold effect which makes them famous is obtained by gluing the powders andlor chips on the external surface of the glass, treating it first reductively, and then iridizing it. The reduction can be obtained by exposing the color-covered glass to a reductive atmosphere. When using Loetz colors in lampworking, iridizing is mostly not needed.

5010 - is a half transparent glass on lead crystal base of yellow basic color over-saturated with silver.
5020 - is a transparent glass on lead crystal base of blue green color, over-saturated with silver and copper.
5030 - is a transparent glass on a lead crystal base of green color over-saturated with silver and chrome.
5040 -is a transparent glass on a lead crystal base of grey color, over-saturated with silver and dulled with nickel

Hmm whatever?
Ave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
Here is the label on my Loetz tub. Kalera's beads are just gorgeous.

Interesting stuff- I bet Amber (Naos) would like it too.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-05, 4:38pm
LE cat whisperer

Quote:
I got it, Tanya... thank you! You did a beautiful job of compiling the information! I've uploaded it to Scribd and will post the link as soon as it's finished converting.
You are welcome. If you would like for me to keep updating the information as it comes in I'd be happy to do this for you. I tested converting this into a pdfonline file and I guess it worked. I sent you another email with the pdf link. You really should write a book, it would be a staple in my lampwork diet!

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2011-02-05, 6:59pm
I'm a lilac!

I also put it on Scribd for download: http://www.scribd.com/doc/48246559/Ask-Me-Anything

If you want to keep updating it, that would be super-awesome! The idea of writing a book sounds appealing, I would just really need some time to focus.

Old 2011-02-05, 7:18pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

So get to focusing!!! I want to be the first in line for that one! I got the name for your book already, all you need to do is fabulize it with your work and all that awesome info youve given here! Oh... the name is Kalerascope!
Old 2011-02-05, 7:31pm
I'm a lilac!

Hee hee hee! I love it, Pia! I need pictures... lots of in-progress pictures. I guess that's not so hard.

Old 2011-02-05, 7:38pm
LE cat whisperer

Quote:
I also put it on Scribd for download: http://www.scribd.com/doc/48246559/Ask-Me-Anything

If you want to keep updating it, that would be super-awesome! The idea of writing a book sounds appealing, I would just really need some time to focus.
I'll be happy to keep an eye on this thread and update.

Focusing used to be next to impossible for me. Finally, at age 35 I finally got brave enough to tell my doctor about having issues with focusing since childhood. He gave me a ADHD test and after reviewing the results and talking about my history having these problems, he put me on Adderall. Don't ask me how I got through high school and college with decent grades. I could never focus long enough to read any chapter books. I was a huge cliff notes person; however, that was even hard for me to read. I still struggle with focusing, not because of brain malfunctioning, it is now the kids and fun life events that are now distracting me. I guess I can't win.

I hope you do find the time to write a book because I have always been inspired by your beads. Obviously you do have some focal skills because look at all the beads you have for sale on your website. I struggle making the same bead repeatedly. If you have any tips on how you manage to cre.ate the same beads over and over, please tell me. I beg you. I find it as incredibly boring to say the least

***By the way, I LOVE Pia's suggestion for the name of your book. That is more then perfect!

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2011-02-05, 7:44pm
Critter Mom

Quote:
Oh yay! I hope you'll post a pic!
Okay...here it is

and here's a better view of the base bead...I love it...thank's Kalera.