Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-11-09, 10:34pm

Okay in Layman's terms here.
What's a good pair of glasses to buy? Also what if we occasionally or more than that do boro? I don't want to buy two pairs. Is there one that's good for both. I need a pair now and just don't know what to get...
Thanks
Irene
PS and where to get it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-10, 2:05am
boro color bender

Irene,

I am heading to the eye doctors today for my yearly exam. After that, I'm off to order a pair of Phillips prescription lenses. I'm going with a new lense material they have out. It's called Green ACE. It's a batch of ACE Schott made for them with the welding glass batched in. No laminating, it's all one piece of glass. After talking to Ryan Phillips yesterday, I'm confident they will provide me with a quality finished lense. They've been in the lense business a long time. Apparently his grandfather used to do business with Mike's dad. I feel confident enough after my conversation with Phillips to spend $250 on prescription glasses. It's totally up to you where you spend your money. I will be trying to do a test of the quality of both companies ACE lenses. It sounds like you can't wait. If you go with ACE, Phillips uses the origional Schott material. Check out www.generationsglass.com and call Kristian if you have any questions. He's a great guy. He carries both Phillips and Auras.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-11-10, 6:50am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaSu
This discussion has become very technical, but I wanted to chime in on the lens quality side.

I also wear prescription lenses, and have had both good and bad lenses. I don't prescription safety glasses because I wear contacts.

I bought a pair of $35 Auralens glasses first, and found that the lenses were very poor. Maybe it's because I bought the cheap pair, but that really shouldn't make a difference. They were quite a strain to wear.

In August I bought a $120 pair of ACE glasses, and I've been very happy with them. Maybe the difference is that I bought better glasses this time. I think the price should be affected by the quality of the frames, and *not* the quality of the lenses. If you're selling safety glasses, all your lenses should be top-notch. But maybe that's not how it is.

Mike mentioned that he had customers who came to him for replacement lenses because they didn't like the customer service they received from Phillips. I think it's only fair for me to say that I switched to ACE because of the service I got from Auralens when I tried to order glasses direct from them. (I ended up buying the $35 pair from Glasscraft, and only because I had already waited a month and didn't want to wait any longer.)
Sheila -- did you return the "bad" pair to Glasscraft for replacement - in reviewing my records, I don't see a pair of economy spectacles coming back from them for bad lenses, ever. Can you tell me what bad service you received from us?

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-11, 8:53am
Sheila

No, Mike, I didn't, and here's why:

I ordered a pair back in December. I received the wrong glasses. I sent an email to find out what to do, and was told that I could return the glasses since I ordered the wrong pair. It took two weeks and four emails for the lady to understand that I hadn't ordered the wrong pair. I wasn't going to send them back until everyone understood what happened and what to do.

So I send the glasses back and I get a package about a week later with the same (wrong) glasses inside. No explantion, but now my invoice is changed to the item # of the wrong glasses. I spend another two weeks and several emails trying to make her understand that the glasses are not what I ordered. Again. By now I'm pretty peaved because the tone of the emails puts the blame on me.

I send them back again. Guess what? I get the same damn glasses back instead of a refund. This time the invoice says the glasses were repaired. What??

During this time, I've left at least three messages via voice mail for you, Mike, and never received a response. I decide to get a refund and I order the $35 glasses from Glasscraft. I send the incorrect glasses back for the third time, with a note on the invoice that I wanted a refund. Guess what? I finally get the correct glasses. At this point I'm pissed off. I left a last voice message with you and I have to admit that I lost my cool. I did finally get a refund, but the whole thing cost me $20 in postage.

I can't say anything either way about safety, but for customer service, I know where I won't shop.
Old 2006-11-12, 2:47pm
Safety ALWAYS

Ok, now I'm really confused Sheila. You say you purchased them from glasscraft, but you called us? Help me out here...I'm trying to figure out what happened. You can PM me if you wish.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-13, 9:08pm
Sheila

Sorry, I wasn't clear in first sentence: I ordered a pair from Auralens back in December.

I didn't order the economy glasses from Glasscraft until I'd sent the wrong pair back to you three times. (As it says in paragraph 5 of my post.) My point is that I have no confidence in Auralens, so no, I did not bother trying to get the bad lenses corrected.

If you read the whole thing, you should understand.
Old 2006-11-14, 2:42pm
Boro Brat

Thumbs up

I'm staying completely neutral in whatever is going on here because I love you all but I do want to say that I just received a pair of boro glasses from Mike and I absolutely LOVE them! I am blown away by how light the lenses are and how well I can see everything compared to the set-up I had before (economy lenses with welder's clip-ons ) I have no eye strain whatsoever after torching for even long periods (I never had eye strain with my economy glasses from auralens either...it was just a PAIN to use the clip-ons and I could barely see anything with the clip-ons over the economy lenses) and I am really pleased with the quality of the frames as well. Mike has been an absolute doll through the entire process, too! Just thought I'd put in a good word because I am indeed a happy customer! Thanks Mike!

Old 2006-11-14, 3:31pm

pipr,
can you tell me if the glasses u bought are for soft glass too? And if they are...tell me what they are so I can check them out!!!
Thanks
Irene