LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-09, 5:16pm

Kalera, this thread has kept me GLUED to my computer for the last hour. When I first started using lampworked beads, I sent you an email via your site and was so thrilled when you replied so graciously. You are so generous to post all this wonderful information, I have a notepad full of new ideas to try and have you to thank, again. I hope I get to meet you one day! Linda C.
Old 2011-03-09, 6:06pm
I'm a lilac!

Aw! Thank you Linda!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-09, 7:38pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Kalera,
This thread just keeps giving and giving. I keep going back to read and reread, losing torch time but gaining lots of ideas and info.
thank you, always, for that.
when applying frit do you prefer to let the frit melt in then apply more frit and let that completely melt in, etc or do you prefer to not melt it all in, apply more and then let it all melt in together...and would it make a difference?
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-03-10, 1:39pm
I'm a lilac!

Hi Rowyn! When I'm layering, if I'm going to do multiple colors, I melt in the first layer and then roll the bead in the second color. You can get some lovely results by layering!

Old 2011-03-11, 12:43pm
Glass-aholic

So one day Kalera gets bored... how many pages, and 335 post later....

Good thing this was not in the garage! People would still be asking if anyone still had the info up on their screen from how long ago!

Great job keeping miss Kalera busy everyone!!!!
Are you still bored Kalera........ ?

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-11, 1:07pm
I'm a lilac!

I'm definitely not bored anymore!

Old 2011-03-11, 1:59pm

Kalera - I just have to say that you are one awesome gal! I have learned a BUNCH! from this thread and others too!

LynieG
Old 2011-03-11, 2:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you!

Old 2011-03-14, 6:44am

Kalera, your generosity matches those early members of LE who freely gave so much knowledge to those who live far and wide and who did not have mentors or classes they could attend without 1st paying thousands of $$$ on airfares and accommodation to attend a class. I for one have never heard of some of these glasses let alone the frits used. Thank you, thank you for sharing, you have restarted my engine.
Old 2011-03-14, 11:38am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you, Marlene! I'm so glad to hear it's helped to get the glass bug going in you again!

Old 2011-03-14, 2:31pm

Hi Kalera,

I tried the teaspoon to pick up frit that you suggested and it does get the frit much closer to the mandrel. Which base glasses do you recommend that work well with frit?

Thanks again for your advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Thank you!

Janith, the more geometrical look I believe you are speaking of is due to frit spreading out over the base when it's heated, and kind of "pushing" against the neighboring bit of frit. That's partly the type of frit (I love frit that spreads a lot!), partly the base glass, and partly the amount of heat applied to the bead after it's rolled in frit.

To get really good coverage on my bead, what I do is put the frit in a measuring teaspoon, in a little shallow stainless steel dish to catch the overflow. I heat the bead to glowing, then lift the teaspoon up under the flame and roll the bead in it. Some frit overflows into the little dish. I replenish the fit in the teaspoon every third bead or so to ensure I have a heaping spoon, for best coverage. I got a bunch of measuring spoons at the dollar store and I find they are perfect for this!
Old 2011-03-14, 4:41pm

Hello Kalera,
When I am done working glass tonight am ordering mandrels or material for big hole beads. I did a search and found different answers. What sizees do you recommend? I bought a bunch of 3/32 stainless from airgas to replace melted ones. now I have plenty small ones and I am ready to move to big hole beads.
Thanks
Darrin
Old 2011-03-14, 5:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanithS View Post
Hi Kalera,

I tried the teaspoon to pick up frit that you suggested and it does get the frit much closer to the mandrel. Which base glasses do you recommend that work well with frit?

Thanks again for your advice...
For me, it depends a lot on the frit. White is a great place to start! If you're using 104, check out how light sky blue, violet, pink, and any opaque gray look. Opal yellow and copper green can both also be great, and some frits also look great on black, or even lapis or other dark colors. Reactive colors may look great, or terrible, on ivory or transparent amber. Don't be afraid to play around with it!

Old 2011-03-14, 5:13pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped In Glass View Post
Hello Kalera,
When I am done working glass tonight am ordering mandrels or material for big hole beads. I did a search and found different answers. What sizees do you recommend? I bought a bunch of 3/32 stainless from airgas to replace melted ones. now I have plenty small ones and I am ready to move to big hole beads.
Thanks
Darrin
I use 3/16", and since my bead release is a little thin, that means I have to make an extra couple of passes with a diamond bead reamer to make the tubing fit. I think that with thicker bead release, the 3/16" are probably perfect.

Old 2011-03-18, 6:12am

Kalera you mentioned the color Tobacco and said that you used Gaffer if I remember correctly. You also said that all the makers of that color, Reichenbach, Kugler etc. would work. My question is about Reichenbach. They have the light tobacco which they describe as reducing, but they also have a color Extra Lt Tobacco 230 which they don't list as reducing. Do you know if this also works in your formula? It's a lovely lighter shade, a creamy golden color.

Thanks

Andrea
Old 2011-03-18, 8:56am
I'm a lilac!

As far as I can tell, both work, but have a slightly different end result.

Old 2011-03-18, 8:38pm

I have some of each so I guess I get to have a whole bunch of fun this summer. Did you find that Zimmerman had a version of it when you were playing with all the colors?

Andrea
Old 2011-03-18, 8:40pm
I'm a lilac!

None of the ones I tried were anything like it... but I missed a ton of colors!

Old 2011-03-19, 10:28pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I have a question about Northstar, Kalera. Paula is calling my name with 50% off. Do you use NS and if so, could you recommend maybe the ten top colors you would use the most?
Thanks, Pat
Old 2011-03-20, 8:26am
I'm a lilac!

I use both Northstar and GA... I guess my most-used NS colors are Extra Light Yellow, Orange, Ruby, Blue Moon, Unobtainium, Amber Purple, and Turquesa.

Old 2011-03-20, 10:35am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks Kalera. I put them on my list.
Old 2011-03-20, 11:11am
Angel's Mom

Awesome thread!

Kalera, you really should write a tutorial. I would buy it in an instant!
Old 2011-03-20, 6:26pm
yoga citta vritti nirodha

Kalera,

Thanks for this thread and your replies. Everyone else, thanks for the questions!
Happy melting.

Old 2011-03-20, 8:25pm
Angel's Mom

Kalera,

Which pink is this:http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12036

Is it a Bullseye? <insert lick avatar here>
Old 2011-03-20, 8:27pm
Angel's Mom

And this one? Glows like real pearls!!
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12024
Old 2011-03-20, 8:34pm
Angel's Mom

One more? http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=10411

I could spend hours on your web site!
Old 2011-03-20, 10:50pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb16 View Post
Kalera,

Which pink is this:http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12036

Is it a Bullseye? <insert lick avatar here>
Reichenbach Mystic Pink 104: http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=121&pID=1772

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:07pm.
Old 2011-03-20, 10:52pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
And this one? Glows like real pearls!!
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12024
More Reichenbach! Mystic beige: http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=121&pID=1790

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:08pm.
Old 2011-03-20, 10:54pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
One more? http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=10411

I could spend hours on your web site!
Oh, that one's more complicated! Reichenbach pinks (various mixed ones, I don't even know which but all their pinks are great) mixed with black powder, in COE 96, on Uroboros Lilac, tumbled for a matte finish. Can you tell I love Reichenbach?

Thank you!

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:10pm.
Old 2011-03-21, 7:01pm
Angel's Mom

Thanks! I think I'm gonna have to order some...

Last edited by krisb16; 2011-03-21 at 8:05pm.