No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-16, 6:08pm
Melody of Glass

Question Coring with aluminum?

Does anyone core with aluminum? I have minimal experience coring bhb's in the past but used silver tubing and it seemed to go pretty well.

I have the Jim Moore press and bought aluminum tubing. It seemed to split more often than not when it flared. Wondering if others have seen this and if it's because aluminum is so soft or if it's user malfunction? I'm not sure if I should try the silver tube I have as I don't want to waste any of it with the price of silver these days!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-17, 3:43am
A True Woofer

I found the same thing when I tried to use aluminum. I bought a sampler of copper, brass and aluminum and the aluminum splits way more than either the copper or the brass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-07-17, 4:28am
sunscreen me baby

Did you try Ginko's aluminum? If anyone has it figured out it would be Lana. I do know aluminum is really soft and doesn't work harden. I can see why it would split easily. I use it for cold connections in my teen metal classes because it is so easy for them to smoosh into rivets.

BTW silver is back down to $27 something.

~

Old 2012-07-17, 9:38am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Did you try Ginko's aluminum? If anyone has it figured out it would be Lana. I do know aluminum is really soft and doesn't work harden. I can see why it would split easily. I use it for cold connections in my teen metal classes because it is so easy for them to smoosh into rivets.

BTW silver is back down to $27 something.
Photos please??? This sounds pretty cool...inquiring minds and all that

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-07-17, 9:59am
Hobby Junkie

I've used it without it splitting, but you have to work it really slow (lots of flipping and 1/4 turns)

Old 2012-07-17, 10:34am
Uh Oh....

I've used aluminum with Jim's press without splitting. I don't remember where I got my aluminum tubing, I know it wasn't from Ginko though. I don't get any splitting, it's just a lot softer so I have to be careful and not press has hard.

Old 2012-07-17, 4:50pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond! This forum is so great for technical info.

It is, in fact, Ginko aluminum. I haven't tried the copper yet, which is not from Ginko. I will definitely try slowing down and see if that helps. That could well be what I was doing wrong.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-07-17, 4:59pm

Can you core with steel?
Old 2012-07-17, 7:09pm
Burning Fingers!

I have more success with aluminum than I do with copper. Copper always seems to split on me. I purchased my aluminum tubing from Artistry in Glass in Ontario, Canada. I just go very slowly.

/
/
/

Old 2012-07-17, 7:48pm
Melody of Glass

Artistry in Glass is about 10 min from me. They are my main supplier. I got my copper there. I'll keep it in mind to go very slow with that one too.

Coming soon...