No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-02-21, 10:13am

Default Implosion lenses struggles

Hey all,

Anyone have tips for getting that dome in just the right spot to amplify the design. I look at it carefully but just don't "get it" because it's not coming out unless I get lucky . My design is another matter altogether, and don't get me started on bails.....sheesh........is there anything I can do to get some better results consistently.?

In other areas I gotta say eight years is a long time. Everything is unfamiliar, my glass, my heat, my stringer work is thicker, I forgot so much and muscle memory, well it's non-existent.

But I am quickly reconnecting to the passion.....yippee

Juniemoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-02-21, 1:44pm
Slogan Challenged...

Let the passion carry you!
As for implosions, might have to change the way you punty? I would say one thing at a time, see how well the designs work first, then work on shape. Bails are always a struggle. I've heard peter tweezers are the way to go but I've still not got any.

Starting over is ok! I find that when I am at a loss, picking some colors and a shape helps me move forward. <3

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2021-03-11, 10:42pm
Corgi Cult Member

Pictures of your attempts would help to identify the issue. If you keep the Maria consistent when melting and pressing then the lens should already be well placed, it’s just a matter of how much clear you cut off from the rod and melt down. Once you cut off the rod and the piece is on a punty, just be careful where you direct the heat so you melt the lens but don’t distort the flat side of the Maria.

I usually punty to the back side of the Maria when I cut off the rod to make the lens, then once the lens is done I punty the bottom and break off the first punty, which allows me to work on the bail. Once the bail is done I either hold the piece in looped tweezers to break off the bottom punty and fire polish the punty mark, or sometimes let the piece dangle from the tungsten pick and finish it that way. I like switching punties because each successive step requires less heat, so I can use a smaller attachment area that is faster to polish out.