Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-25, 1:24pm
ninja thread killer

Question Same annealing schedule for 104coe, 96coe, and 90coe?

That pretty much says it all. Can I use the same annealing schedule for 104coe, 96coe, and 90coe? If you do, would you share your schedule so I can compare it to mine? Thank you
Old 2008-10-25, 2:20pm
Fancy Mammal

My understanding is that this is possible even a fairly normal thing to do, but I'd love to hear responses too. I'll be getting my kiln soon and have lots of batch annealing to do.
Old 2008-10-25, 2:35pm
I'm a lilac!

Yes, I've been doing it for years. I garage and anneal at 968, can't really remember my ramp-down because it's been so long since I programmed my kiln, but it's pretty conservative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-25, 2:40pm
ninja thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Yes, I've been doing it for years. I garage and anneal at 968, can't really remember my ramp-down because it's been so long since I programmed my kiln, but it's pretty conservative.
I garage and anneal at 968, too, for 104 and 96. It's SO GOOD to know that I can put 90 into the kiln at the same time. Whew!

If anyone else does this, please chime in
Old 2008-10-25, 2:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I anneal all at the same temp too - my temp is lower because I use a lot of silver glass, but I just anneal for longer.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-25, 3:24pm
moth to the flame

I wondered that too when I first started using BE. I found a thread where others said they did it with no problems. I was so glad!

I now anneal them all together but I do the same as Squid when I use the silver glasses, I just lower the temp and anneal longer.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-10-25, 4:11pm
Fancy Mammal

Thanks everyone!
Old 2008-10-26, 1:32pm

I blow the trans reichenbach and it will deform at 968, so I go longer at 930 and put the 104,96, and 90 in together and they are happy.

Alison
Old 2008-10-29, 3:31pm

Default Reichenbach frit on Morette Glass?

I just bought some glass frit blends from Glassdiversions.com - they are a blend of Gaffer, Reichenbach, Zimmerman and Kugler glass with a COE of 92-96 + Iris Gold (94 COE).

I want to try them on Moretti glass. They say it is "generally compatible." So would I be wise to go buy some local Bullseye to try it with also? -- or should I just try the Moretti adjust my kiln temp and extend the soak times way longer?

I have a Chilipepper kiln. Currently I have it set to 960 for 1hr 10mins, then drop to 850 at 10 min intervals and hold for 30mins. (I don't remember where I got these setting but they work for Moretti beads.)

Any advice before I try these options out? Thanks!
Old 2008-10-29, 3:36pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Colorado View Post
I just bought some glass frit blends from Glassdiversions.com - they are a blend of Gaffer, Reichenbach, Zimmerman and Kugler glass with a COE of 92-96 + Iris Gold (94 COE).

I want to try them on Moretti glass. They say it is "generally compatible." So would I be wise to go buy some local Bullseye to try it with also? -- or should I just try the Moretti adjust my kiln temp and extend the soak times way longer?

I have a Chilipepper kiln. Currently I have it set to 960 for 1hr 10mins, then drop to 850 at 10 min intervals and hold for 30mins. (I don't remember where I got these setting but they work for Moretti beads.)

You'll be fine annealling all those at the same schedule, but it's exceedingly unlikely you get them to fuse together. They aren't even close to compatible.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-10-30, 7:57am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Colorado View Post

The annealing schedule you have is fine for frit beads.

There is a 5% rule when applying frit to base glass when they differ in COE.
Do a search in this section for frit and you will find more info.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.

Last edited by BeadMaven; 2008-10-30 at 12:56pm.
Old 2011-03-14, 9:12am

I have been garaging 104 at 955, leaving at that temp for an hour after the last bead, ramping down to 600, then the kiln shuts off. I don't remove the beads until they are at room temperature. I just got a few rods of 96 to go with some awesome frit and both test beads with a pinky/salmon color break.

Should I increase the garage temp and also slow down the cooling? Should it also hold at a lower temp?

Thanks

Old 2011-03-14, 10:06am

If it matters, the color was reichenbach salmon. Beautiful color

Old 2011-03-14, 10:39am

Maybe someone can help with my question. I'm a newbie. I made loads of beads since I am learning and I am wondering if I can batch anneal them in my Jen Ken glass kiln. How long after beads are made can they be annealed? Since they are now off the mandrels, do I just put them directly on the kiln shelf or on fiber blanket? Schedule for a 3 button Barlett controller?
Thanks so much,
Chris S.
Old 2011-03-14, 5:01pm

Sorry, I can't help with that question. Hopefully someone can. I'm also wondering if it was because I took too long to put it into the kiln. I don't have a rack to support the mandrels, so they sit on the shelf. With my 104, I tend to wait until the glow is gone so that I don't have dimples where it touched the kiln

Old 2011-03-15, 10:09am

Shelley and Chris--

Your garage temp of 955 for an hour sounds fine-- but how quickly or slowly you ramp down below the strain point of the glass will determine how successful your annealing is (assuming the beads haven't cracked before they went in the kiln!). A conservative schedule would be to ramp down at 100 degrees/hour to 700, then 250/hour to room temperature. If you have a brick kiln you can probably turn off the cycle at 600 and let it cool normally to room temperature.

Yes, you can batch anneal beads, but it's not something I have much experience with since I've always kiln-annealed. Bring the temp up to garaging temperature slowly (some have had success ramping as fast as possible to garaging temp, but I wouldn't suggest doing that until you're familiar and comfortable with your kiln), then hold for an hour, then start your annealing cycle. I would put fibre blanket in the kiln and anneal the beads on top of that, although many just put the beads on a kiln shelf or kiln floor (that's been covered in kiln wash).

Good luck!

Mimi