Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2019-01-08, 1:24am

Default A concentrator question

Hello everyone)
I am pretty new to lampworking, just have some experience with soft glass. But I am dreaming of tube implosions and fuming
I work on Mega Minor torch and 5 lpm oxygen concentrator. The question is - will i be able to try working with boro tubes on it or the second concentrator is necessary?
And how to bake boro glass in the kiln? Sorry if my questions are stupid, just couldn't find the answers here
Old 2019-01-08, 11:44pm

You will probably need two. It will still be slow. Bottled would be better. https://www.nortelglass.com/torches-choices.shtml

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2019-02-03, 11:45am

I have a gtt bobcat with the same dreams of implosions as you, lol.I use 3 5lpm at 4lpm each max, total of 12 lpm when fulled ppened oxygen. i can burn 16mm rod quick, but if you have 2 you should be great or 1 10lpm. Check the torches spec, i also have tanked but that goes quick, so unless if im doing something specific that need tank o2 ill use that but 2 5 LPM should be fine when i have 3 on it rips up boro

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 2019-02-03, 6:45pm
Loving learning

And you anneal boro at 1050°, and remember the rule about thickness, so marbles for example you need to add time. I think it is 15 minutes per 1/4" of thickness, but I am not sure.
Old 2019-02-03, 8:26pm

I can't find any numbers from Nortel but here is a nice table of bench torch oxygen requirements: https://artistryinglass.on.ca/charts...ortorches.html
Old 2019-03-04, 3:57pm
Bkingery

I have a Mega Minor torch and I use 3 5lpm oxygen concentrators. Runs at ~12-14lpm total. I keep an oxygen tank attached to the larger torch head which I believe uses ~40lpm and I use sparingly.
I have multiple used oxygen concentrators for sale at a great price. I picked them up as a package deal. Message me if interested.
Best to you.
Old 2019-04-22, 9:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
And you anneal boro at 1050°, and remember the rule about thickness, so marbles for example you need to add time. I think it is 15 minutes per 1/4" of thickness, but I am not sure.
15 min at 1050 per mm of thickness I believe is the rule
Old 2019-04-23, 5:32am
DaveK

I run three concentrators into an air compressor for a GTT Mirage. I have found 99% oxygen (bottled) is much better for fuming than the 95+/-% oxygen I get with the concentrator(s). I am not saying you can’t fume with 95% you just get the full spectrum of colors with the purer oxygen. I find other things, like vortex and opal inclusions as satisfying because the concentrators are so much more economical than bottled. Just my opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2019-04-23, 7:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I run three concentrators into an air compressor for a GTT Mirage. I have found 99% oxygen (bottled) is much better for fuming than the 95+/-% oxygen I get with the concentrator(s). I am not saying you can’t fume with 95% you just get the full spectrum of colors with the purer oxygen. I find other things, like vortex and opal inclusions as satisfying because the concentrators are so much more economical than bottled. Just my opinion.
I just recently got a homefill and I’ve been getting better spectrum with my new setup. That being said I’ve figured out a few things and I’m thinking getting the full range is all about flame tech. Have to work farther out in flame and I also use kiln crash to bring the blues out. Do you have a holding tank with your oxy setup? Peace✌🏻
Old 2019-04-23, 8:52am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grinch View Post
Do you have a holding tank with your oxy setup? Peace✌🏻

Yes, it’s a HVO Mighty Mite similar to this:
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2019-05-14, 10:58am

Hi! New to lamp working - I have 2 oxygen concentrators that run at 5 lpm - But I keep loosing pressure behind the torch. Do you know how I can remove pressure sensors in them so they work at full force?
Old 2019-05-14, 2:12pm
Alaska Boro

A 5 LPM machine will have a static pressure in the range of 5 to 10 psi. Thus it is best to use two machines with the same static output pressure. Most machines have a way to adjust output pressure inside the machine. Keep in mind that more pressure is not a solution.

With both machines running into a "T" the LPM reading should be between 3 and 4 with your torch operational. Note that at higher LPMs the oxygen percent is less. (check your manual for this data) Thus it is important to not run these wide open.

If you need more oxygen then add a third or fourth machine. A GTT Scorpion or Cricket is designed for lower oxygen pressures. Other torches use higher pressures which most oxygen concentrators can not supply. If you need more pressure then tanked is one solution and if you do a lot of work then look into LOX.

However, let me ask how are you measuring the PSI line pressure to your torch?
Old 2019-05-14, 2:30pm
Phill

There is a reason that your machines are crapping out on you and since these things are designed as medical equipment trying to work around the pressure sensor systems on both machines will likely take a ton more effort that finding the problems and fixing them.

Have you replaced the 3 filters?
There is a large sponge like one to keep the cat hair out of and then a pretty tiny hole one kind of like paper filter on a vacuum cleaner bag.

There is also often one that looks kind of like a gasoline fuel filter that is located just before the oxygen goes to the output port on the panel.
This one is a biologic filter that prevents bacteria from being sent to the sick patient.

Salt City Glass once had kits for various models of oxygen concentrators with all the filters you need.

These things are built like tanks but they do need filters changed once a year for medical use but at least every 5 or 10 years for lampworking.

Thee is a lot of information about oxycons here in the 'safety', 'studio' and other threads.

Try using the search function for your brand or your symptoms.

I am sure I have seen a question or 3 about similar problems here some where and if I weren't running on 4 hours sleep in the last 36 hours I would try to hunt some up for you but my brain not really worky right now.
Old 2019-05-14, 2:36pm
Phill

Oh and don't use a flashback arrester on your oxycon lines. They require more umph to make them work properly than most oxycons provide.