Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-09, 2:28am

Default Goldstone stringer

Is goldstone stringer the same as gold aventurine stringer? I buy gold aventurine and it always burns out or nearly burns out. Am I buying the wrong kind? Or maybe it's my technique. I feel ike I've tried everything, though.
Thanks a bunch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-09, 5:27am
takin the long way 'round

I make my own stringer from chunks of aventurine, and it's SOOO much more "sparkly" than the commercial goldstone stringers......it's easy to pull your own, you can control the size, AND it's cheaper! I've never been able to burn the sparkle out of it, so maybe it's the kind your purchasing, not your technique

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-09, 6:51am
Growing Edge Glass

Nina/neagle educated me about the goldstone..so thought I'd share that info.

Goldstone...also called gold aventurine...is a manmade gemstone...glass and copper basically.(I'm sure there are more components in it)

You can buy the premade stringers or you can buy chunks of goldstone/gold aventurine and break it up into little chunks that you would encase in clear glass and then pull your own stringer from that.

Sometimes you can overcook the stringers and get a dark, non-sparkly color....with the premade or the ones you make yourself. If you make your own, you need to make sure it is totally encased and still be cautious when heating it so that you don't overcook it and turn it dark brown.

I've also noticed that you don't want to pull your own stringer too thin, otherwise you won't have as much concentrated "sparkle". The more concentrated the goldstone/gold aventurine is, the more sparkle.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-10-09, 7:37am
Formerly FishBulb

I've read on here that some people buy those goldstone beads, you know, those round one you see in strands at bead stores, and just pull stringers with those. I haven't tried it but some folks swear by it.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-09, 7:58am

Just a word of caution about the goldstone beads. Some of them are resin based and not good for this technique. Choose carefully.
Joan
Old 2010-10-09, 8:00am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
I've read on here that some people buy those goldstone beads, you know, those round one you see in strands at bead stores, and just pull stringers with those. I haven't tried it but some folks swear by it.
Wow that is very interesting. I have a ton of these....nervous about trying it though

Old 2010-10-09, 8:03am
honorary bead lady

You can get some of the Goldstone "ribbon" pieces that Fantz has, really easy to encase and pull
Old 2010-10-09, 11:46am

I just have a feeling that making my own would not burn out anywhere near as fast as the ones I buy. These are kinda faded to begin with. What about Frantz hand-pulled godstone stringers? Are they good?

Old 2010-10-09, 11:54am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I make encased goldstone ribbon from chunks. Make it the same way as the encased stringer, but instead of making the gather round before pulling, just flatten it out & then pull. It's easy & a whole lot cheaper.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-09, 12:07pm

Actually, I lik e the ribbon better. You get more bang for the buck.
Old 2010-10-09, 5:17pm
FireBeads

I use the chunks. I put a chunk in the kiln, heat it up and then encase the chunk in clear before pulling my stringer. It leaves an ever so slight bit of clear encasing and less likely to burn.
Old 2010-10-10, 11:35am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post

This is what I do . . . I usually don't buy the round shape, but maybe a small barrel, or flat pillow shape, whatever has the most sparkle surface area.
I'll pick out the strands with the most glitter, warm one up on my kiln, punty up, encase and pull

Like Kimberly said, the ones you make yourself are WAY better than the kind you can purchase.

Old 2011-09-15, 6:17am
Loving learning

I was given some goldstone frit, and tried to make stringer but it lost it's sparkle. Is there a technique you can share using frit to make stringer? I'm trying to figure out how I would encase it, and failing.
Old 2011-09-15, 8:20am

You have to puntyup the goldstone on an old mandrel or boro rod. keep melting it and marver into a blob or barrel. Then encase it and pull.
Old 2011-09-15, 8:41am
Loving learning

Thanks Pat!
Old 2011-09-15, 10:04am
Always Improving

So I finally tried the punty, melt and pull trick yesterday.

You are all so right!!!

Best stringers of Goldstone ever.

Thank you all for sharing this tip and these techniques.

Mike...
Old 2011-09-15, 1:59pm

http://www.greatrough.com/rough_goldstone_red.shtml
This an old addy in my favs. But if you buy a chunk it will last forever.
Old 2011-09-15, 2:15pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Yes to making your own. And even more fun is encasing in different colors. Rubino over goldstone is GAWGEOUS.

Old 2011-09-15, 2:55pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I'd like to try this also - now that I'm learning to pull better stringers
So tired of burning off bought goldstone, encased or otherwise. Grr.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-09-16, 12:33am
offically down under

I have been using the goldstone beads for a while now. You have to be careful with the because you can trap the air and make a shocky encased stringer. I also prefer to encase my goldstone with medium amethyst for even more sparkle.

Old 2011-10-16, 11:03pm
Millionaire in Training

I just want to say you guys rock!!! Thanks especially to Pat for the link to the goldstone rough pieces. These are fantastic prices! I love that I can get a slab or rock of green, gold or blue aventurine at this site!!

Old 2011-10-17, 12:59am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Are there any other stones out there that we can use the same way?
Old 2011-10-17, 6:53am

I don't think so Monica. Goldstone isn't really a stone, it's manmade.
There could be something else but I haven't heard of it.
I like to encase goldstone chunks with a bright light green. Yum.