LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-28, 10:31am
Wicked Mean Redhead

Default Torch flame fluctuating - Please help figure out why.

I hope I'm in the right place and I hope someone can help me figure this out. Lately is seems like my flame is breathing.

Ever since we moved into our new house, my torch has been acting weird. I have the same setup that I used for 5 years in my old house. I have a minor torch, running Natural Gas with an OxyCon. I have my OxyCon set at 4.5 and my NG running open. I have the valve for the Oxygen open all the way on my minor and adjust the gas to the flame I need.

Lately it seems that no matter how I adjust the flame it "breathes". It takes about 6 seconds to cycle, I'll start with a small flame 1/2" with no yellow showing. Within three seconds I have a huge bushy flame with long yellow cones, three seconds later it's back to 1/2" cones, no yellow. It happens slowly so It may be more like 8 seconds but it is driving me crazy.

I have all weekend to torch, and don't want to because this fluctation is causing me to ruin all the beads I make.

Someone please help me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bgillen; 2006-04-29 at 3:04pm.
Old 2006-04-28, 10:51am
Sorry for party rockin'

Dang Brenda, I'm sorry to hear that! We have identical setups and you're doing exactly what I do. I recently moved too and (thank goodness!) everything still works the same.

I hope somebody comes along and helps you, I'm just sorry I don't have any advice to give

Old 2006-04-29, 3:05pm
Wicked Mean Redhead

OK I changed the title hoping someone will read this and help. I can't get anything made today. As soon as I get halfway done, the torch goes crazy and I'm getting sooty yuckies in my beads. I'm so frustrated.

Old 2006-04-29, 3:14pm
PyronamixK

It sounds like something happened to your concentrator during your move.
Old 2006-04-30, 5:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
It sounds like something happened to your concentrator during your move.
yup.

Old 2006-05-09, 4:29pm
Flossy-Flossy

I just recently changed from propane to natural gas. My flame is doing the same thing. My concentrator hasn't been moved. I don't think it is my concentrator....but I could be wrong.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was Brenda?

If you did...Give me a shout. Sounds like we have the same problem.