No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-09-25, 12:14pm
Queen Bee

Default Air Flow 1150 CFM Fan Review?

Is anyone familiar with this fan? http://www.aftproducts.com/Centrifug...-1150-CFM.item versus the Vortex fan http://www.residential-lights.com/vo...nline-fan.html besides price?

I'm wondering which fan to buy - I'm also getting the variable speed switch so I can fine tune the air flow in my barley box. I want to be sure I get a good inline fan.....

Dale has graciously helped me with my CFM requirements, etc based upon the size of my box, so I'm all set there - just need to choose a fan

Thanks in advance!
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-09-25, 2:30pm
Alaska Boro

One specification that is a good guide to fan performance is fan static pressure. A fan at 0 SP will always look good. But when in use the SP is greater than zero due to vent length, turns, etc.

For comparison one can look at .5 SP and see what the CFM is at that level. Then make your choice based on data.

As an example a TD-315 fan is rated at 1050 CFM at 0 SP, 932 CFM at .25 SP and 770 CFM at .5 SP.

Overall, IMO if the SP operational performance range is not listed then it is a fan that should not be under consideration.

Last edited by Alaska; 2012-09-25 at 2:34pm.
Old 2012-09-26, 8:14am
Queen Bee

Well, now I'm totally confused. The only place I find that lists SP values for inline fans is Grainger - and I'm not getting how to figure out SP. My duct work is 10 ft with 1 - 90 degree bend. My barley box is 30 in by 42 in. Seems I need a huge fan? Like 1100 cfm before deducting the loss from the duct work? Maybe it would be better to ditch the box and just use a small hood?

Where does one find this TD-315 fan?

I am truly ready to jump off a bridge at this point. I am obviously the most dense person in the world when it comes to figuring this out - aaarg!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Old 2012-09-26, 1:47pm
Alaska Boro

See the links listed under "Questions about using a hood fan for ventilation" in the Safety section for some additional hints.

The TD-315 fan is made by Soler & Palau.

Using their TD-250 model for my Barley box which requires between 330 and 413 CFM on low speed with an auto transformer (Power Stat - Variac) for speed control. The fan is two speed and has a removable motor that does not require vent pipe to be removed if replacement is required. It is the 10 inch model. These are not inexpensive units but like the all metal construction for this model. Plus ten inch duct is avaialble at both Home Depot and Lowes.

A smaller CFM fan could be used provided that the size of the box is decreased to stay in line with ventilation requirements.
Old 2012-09-26, 2:00pm
Queen Bee

I ordered a fan with 906 cfm, which should be fine. Dale has again walked me through the bumps in the road I was having - my duct work is only 10 ft so static isn't a big concern. Thanks for your help

Donna

Old 2012-09-26, 6:11pm
Alaska Boro

Be sure to post a picture of the installation when completed.
Old 2012-10-02, 12:22pm
No Longer an LE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
I ordered a fan with 906 cfm, which should be fine. Dale has again walked me through the bumps in the road I was having - my duct work is only 10 ft so static isn't a big concern. Thanks for your help
10 feet with six 90 turns creates quite the static pressure. Also use rigid ducting over flex yadda yadda yadda.