No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-12-26, 6:25pm
Sleep Deprived

Default where to start?

Is there a book/post/email that would help a person start a modest lampwork studio? Inside a house? I could potentially move it to a shed/building we have in the backyard but it would require moving a hell of a lot of stuff to storage.

Thanks for the direction -- I'm lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-26, 7:21pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Lori, It is generally considered a big No No to torch in your house...
Most of the reasons are safety and health related.
Glass splinters, chunks, shards and teensy weensy pieces you can hardly see with a microscope go flying. Fumes, ventilation, replacement air, the list goes on. I guess the least problem torch and fuel to use in a home would be the HH and the 1 pd. cylinders.
Torching can get quite complicated with people such as a Landlord if you rent or your homeowners insurance if you have it. They can cancel it. Your Landlord can terminate your lease because of the fire danger involved.

You may not pass the fire marshall inspection/building inspector if a neighbor complains about your torching in your home.

It is illegal in lots of places to have a 1Lb. cannister in your home..only 1 is allowed where I live in California and you have it in the garage or a shop building. BBQ tanks are usually only allowed outside and only for BBQing....there is a grey area with temporary connections.

Your hose may leak in your home and all that fuel as no place to go unless you have a super exhaust ventilation system installed and your stove hood is not a super ventilation system...it may even be the wrong kind.
I
would clean out that shed and use it, but first you must check out the CC&Rs for your neighborhood restrictions, city or county building and fire codes, your insurance carrier, landlord if you have one

There have been posts where people got the studio all set up only to find out they couldn't have one where they live.
Be sure and check it all out before you jump in. Be safe.
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2006-12-26 at 7:24pm.
Old 2006-12-26, 7:52pm
Sleep Deprived

Default ok then!

Well alrighty then! Good point!!!!!

So that being said, where can I find good info on setting up an out-building as a studio?

Old 2006-12-26, 8:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Read this forum....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-12-28, 7:47pm
Formerly SirWatson

Hi Lori! I'm currently in the process of building a studio shed in my backyard. I've gotten the shed built and stained, and will be starting on the electrical work after the New Year. Check out the thread I started a while back for pictures of my shed construction as well as that of a few others.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30161

Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Karla

<><
Old 2006-12-30, 11:41pm
Cheep, cheep, cheep!

Don't be afraid to set up a studio in your house, it is not "forbidden" in most situations except apartments or condos. General rules are:

1) always keep propane outside - "pipe" into house, easily done
2) get adequate ventilation system - see multiple threads in Safety area of the forum
3) install a CO and propane detector down by the floor - propane is heavier than air
4) read EVERYTHING in the Safety section of the forum, info posted by Dale & Mike is invaluable

Good luck & have fun!

Dana