No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-11, 10:17pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Default Questions for EMS users

I've been contemplating getting one of these for about a year but worry that the cord is going to annoy me. I switch the mandrel from hand to hand while I'm torching and wanted to know if the cord getting in the way is an issue. Also how much of a learning curve is there? How long until you were comfortable with it? Do you feel it was a worthwhile investment?

It's a lot of money for me to consider spending so any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 2008-01-12, 1:14am

Unless it's a really heavy bead or asymettrical, I rarely shift hands. If you are careful with the cord (and it kind of gets to be a habit to be careful with the cord- you know, make sure it's tucked under the table, doesn't catch on anything, etc), you shouldn't have a problem. It took a couple of weeks or less for me to get used to the little clamping action you do to slow down the spin or to stop it - that was the only thing I needed to get used to. The first few times I used it, I felt awkward and would forget where my fingers needed to be. Then one day I realized I didn't have a problem.

I love the thing, I think it was worth every penny. It's well balanced and engineered. It's feels light for the price (that is actually a good thing, though!) until you use it and it works oh so well!

It's really a great product. I really can't imagine torching anymore without it.
Old 2008-01-12, 6:19am

The cord is annoying, but it would be too heavy with batteries in it. My cord frequently gets caught in the little gap where my creation station connects to the table. I'm going to put a piece of tape over it to prevent that.

One one major piece of advice so that you don't bend the sleeves is
1) to always make sure all the sleeves are pushed down flush to the top of the ems when you take the mandrel out (and pull straight, not off to the side)
2) don't be so impatient when you are adding glass or decorations that you pull too hard (this has to be almost hard enough to break the bead release), I've bent one that way too.

Make sure you get at least one set of spare sleeves when you order. Once you get the hang of this, you won't want any down time!!
Old 2008-01-12, 6:28am

I guess I only answered one question, sorry!
-It only took me a few days to get comfortable with it. But I hadn't really been torching very long then (6 mo) so I didn't have a lot of ingrained habits to break. The clutch is VERY intuitive. I was worried about that when I got it, that it would be too hard to grip or something, but it wasn't hard at all.

-If mine broke today, I would get another one. My shaping improved instantly because you can see any unevenness and gently marver it out. My speed improved as well.

For heavily dotted beads, the dots melt down evenly so that any pattern you try to put in it, stays.

If I'm doing some other type of pattern, or sculptural, I take the mandrel out to finish the bead; I don't leave it in all the time.

I just wish that my big-hole mandrels would fit in it 3/16, 1/4, 1/2. I don't have the expensive mandrels that have a regular sized shaft, only the ones that are thick all the way down.

You'll love it!
(by the way, I know I say nice things about the EMS frequently. I'm not affiliated with Bearfoot Arts, just a happy customer)
Old 2008-01-12, 8:03am
Flamewoman

I have had my EMS for a year and a half now. I love it. The only problem I ever have with it is putting mandrels into it. You need to get the right size. I have found that the ones from Arrow Springs fit quite well. Some other ones I bought were just a hair too small and were loose in the sleeve. I like 9 inch mandrels for the EMS. The mandrels from AS also have ground edges, and that is important for the EMS. I also got the brass rolling marver tool when I ordered my EMS and I love that too, get one if you can. I was having major problems with arthritis in my hands before I got this tool, and it helped immensly.
I have small hands so I got the small sized one. I love my EMS and I too, would get another if it broke.
The cord never is an issue, I did put a piece of duct tape on the edge of my creation station.I find that I don't need to switch hands with this tool. It took me about a week to realize that I couldn't do with out it. I can make beads with it that were not possible for me before I got it.
Also you can make twisted stringers with it that are amazing. Get it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-01-12, 8:47am

I love my EMS too!

I am laughing since I thought I was the only one with duck tape eliminating the gap between the table and creation station. LOL

I keep a pair of pliers right next to the unit to pull the mandrel out of the sleeve. I am always careful to pull straight just a few inches and then I use my fingers to pull the mandrel out the rest of the way. This way if it is a little hot, i don't get burned.

I also have had mandrels that are just a hair too small..... drives me crazy..... Sometimes I just dip my mandrels extra long and then let the sleeve cover 1/8 inch of the release. That helps keep the mandrels snug...

The tool is well worth it!!!....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2008-01-12, 9:03am

You can tighten the sleeve with your pliers, too. I find that sometimes I need to tighten all the sleeves to get them to fit tight again.
Old 2008-01-12, 9:36am
Crazy Snake Lady

I really appreciate the input - thank you !!!
Old 2008-01-12, 9:36am

Yes I tighten them that way too but I try not to keep adjusting the sleeve so it stays straight.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]