Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-01-12, 2:23pm
Formerly SirWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Yes there is more complications in "plumbing" duct around corners and bends but with your self imposed restrictions everything you are trying to do going to complicate your installation because of your unwillingness to make certain compromises... Like moving bench to under window, it would sweep away most issues we have been discussing here if you were willing to move it.

Dale
It's not that I'm not willing to do certain things...it's what I am capable of doing and not capable of doing due to things that are out of my control.

I can't move my bench under the window because that is where my husband parks his car. I can't move my bench to the opposite corner because there are NO outlets or lighting in that corner. With that said...I don't feel comfortable having my oxycon, kiln, hotplate and the necessary lighting all plugged into a powerstrip that's connected to an extension cord from across the garage.

The only thing I'm unwilling to do is to punch a hole in my garage wall. I'm not a carpenter and I don't have the money to pay a contractor to do it.

That's why I wanted everyone's input...to see if there was an easy solution that I was overlooking. I'm not a ventilation expert so I wasn't sure of the best way to handle this challenge.

I truly appreciate what everyone has said and have a couple of ideas! Thanks all!

Karla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
Old 2006-01-12, 4:00pm
Farewell promises nothing

I don't know if it will work in this case, but my friend has a wood studio in his garage. What he did is create a large wooden box suspended from the ceiling in the centre of the room. On all four sides, instead of solid walls, he inserted high grade furnace filters. Inside the box is an old vacuum cleaner plugged in and permanently turned on. The vacuum is plugged into an outlet that can be disconnected (therefor turning off the vacuum) by flipping a regular lightswitch.

He later upgraded his setup to get rid of varnish fumes. What he did is seal the intake to a length of large flexible duct which came to an opening on the bottom of the box. He then added a quick release connection to be able to add another length of flexible duct which was suspended by rope to the roof across the room to where he usually worked with the varnish (this was movable so he could work elsewhere). The intake to the vacuum would then be centralized around what he needed venting.

For outtake, he did the same and sealed it to a flexible duct which came out the bottom of the box and another quick release connection. He then had TWO flexible ducts which could connect to that hole. One was short and looped directly back into the box. The other was longer and went across the roof and out a vent above his garage door. [edit : Instead of punching a hole in your garage wall, you could instead just open the door a crack and shove the flexible duct out when you need it.]

Basically, if he wanted to work with wood and get all the dust and other particles out of the air, he would disconnect the long intake and connect the short piece to the outtake. This would bring in air and filter it through the furnace filters of the box much like the original design.

If he wanted to vent fumes, he would connect the long intake duct and move it where needed and then connect the long outtake and vent it outside into the alley.

I know this sounds complicated, but it is really quite simple. When I get a chance, I will sketch out the plans for this system. It is also quite inexpensive. All you need is some wood, four furnace filters, two connections, a bunch of flexible duct and a strong second hand vacuum.
Old 2006-01-12, 4:08pm
Formerly SirWatson

Thanks for the suggestion, brimmy! I'm definitely interested in learning more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
Old 2006-01-12, 5:18pm
Safety ALWAYS

Brimmy and Karla -- there is a **HUGE** difference between removing combustion byproducts and removing sawdust plus varnish odors.

No one, I repeat NO ONE recommends the use of a vacuum, industrial, commercial, shop, or other to properly ventilate any type of installation that uses an open flame.

Please people, let's use some common sense here! You are comparing apples to oranges!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-01-12, 10:26pm
Farewell promises nothing

It was a suggestion not a hard fast, "do this" comment. I stated very clearly in the post what he used it for and how he adapted it. It is quite possible to adapt it further, which I leave up to the person installing it.

Besides, if you're going to criticize other people's help, please explain why you think it is a bad idea rather than just hashing down on it.
Old 2006-01-13, 5:34am
Safety ALWAYS

brimmy - it's not an exhaust system. It is a device or setup for removing dust and VOC fumes.

There are many thousands of words that have been written (mostly by me) and posted on a variety of boards -- and nowhere is it advocated to use a vacuum cleaner to run your exhaust system. Vacuums are designed with small diameter high CFM suction fans to enable them to pick up and transfer dust and particulates. You won't see duct diameters exceeding 2". These vacuums will not work on large diameter ducting, the loss of CFM will kill the system.

Exhaust systems, especially those designed for torch working applications require lower CFM large diameter fans so that large amounts of air can be moved quietly and efficiently. These system are not concerned with moving particulates but combustion byproducts.

These are the obvious reasons, there are other more technical issues as well.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-01-13, 7:08am
Formerly SirWatson

I just wanted to repeat that I appreciate everyone's suggestions and thoughts! You all have been a wonderful help!

Mike/Dale - I appreciate your patience with me and with the others who have posted in this thread. However, I wanted to remind you both that we're not ventilation experts. A lot of us don't know the nuances of how exhaust systems should work. What may seem like common sense and is obvious to you guys, may not be for others....like me! If we were all educated with this stuff....then there wouldn't be so many ventilation threads on LE or WC....seeking your great wisdom!

Thanks again!

<><
Old 2006-01-13, 8:13am
Safety ALWAYS

Karla - it IS sometimes difficult to be patient especially when the same thing has been said over and over again...

but I try

Old 2006-01-13, 9:12am
Gentleman of Leisure

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson
I just wanted to repeat that I appreciate everyone's suggestions and thoughts! You all have been a wonderful help!

Mike/Dale - I appreciate your patience with me and with the others who have posted in this thread. However, I wanted to remind you both that we're not ventilation experts. A lot of us don't know the nuances of how exhaust systems should work. What may seem like common sense and is obvious to you guys, may not be for others....like me! If we were all educated with this stuff....then there wouldn't be so many ventilation threads on LE or WC....seeking your great wisdom!

Thanks again!
Some time we say things over and over and over, and people don't listen, don't think, don't care or refuse to recognize we are really trying to help and keep them safe....

But we do believe we are doing right thing....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-01-13, 9:34am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
But we do believe we are doing right thing....
or we wouldn't bother...

Old 2006-01-13, 10:01am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
or we wouldn't bother...
Yah!

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal