No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-12-06, 5:02pm
sunscreen me baby

Default Bullseye Florals? Help please

I'm am on a roll with florals lately. I also have quiet a collection of beautiful Bullseye colors. And while I'm perfectly happy to play and test colors I was wondering if anyone could tell me one or two pastels that will hold their own when melted in as petals. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-12-12, 7:32pm

Default Bullseye florals

I have been thinking about asking this question too. Whenever I make florals with pinks in them I burn the pink...it turns gray. I use French vanilla for the base petals. I like how they look. I hope some other people submit some suggestion for us! Today I made a floral bead with a little clear for the base, encased with wisteria, then a swath of gold foil, more clear, the florals which I am afraid burned. It seems I use too much heat to melt in the clear encasings. xiola
Old 2005-12-13, 2:27pm
Resident Luny

Do you have their new aptly named petal pink yet? It's pretty dreamy.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-12-13, 3:21pm
sunscreen me baby

what? petal pink? um, no..... I don't think so. New SP?

~

Old 2005-12-13, 3:48pm

Xiola, if you're using French Vanilla under the pink for petals, it's not you scorching the glass. It's a reaction between those 2 colors. Pink and FV just don't play well. One has sulphur or something in it....on the BE website there is a really good rundown of all the rod colors, reactions and content. Melodie did some testing with the new white and she likes it. She did a pretty encased floral. I got a couple pounds the other day but haven't had a chance to play yet.

Old 2005-12-13, 11:47pm
Hole Challenged

Bec is right, you can't use FV with pinks and certain blues. Your flowers will turn nasty because of the reactions between the colors.

BE just released a new white that will finally allow you to create flowers with nice sharp edges and in beautiful colors. I was a tester for this new white and loved it. I just got an order in from the regular production run and the rod does look slightly different but it should work just as well.

I tried it as a base for a number of the opals that just don't hold up and it makes a drastic difference. Pumpkin orange is very nice over the new white. Below is the picture I had showing transparent Lt. Pink striker and transparent Aquamarine Blue over the new white. Blue bead is a bit wonky because the release broke.

A really nice combo for a soft pink is white/petal pink/lt. pink striker. Makes a gorgeous flower.

Last edited by Melodie; 2008-06-15 at 1:36am.
Old 2005-12-13, 11:49pm
Hole Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ
what? petal pink? um, no..... I don't think so. New SP?
Petal pink is a very soft pink and it is now in regular production.

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/connect...ducts/rods.php

Old 2005-12-14, 5:31am
sunscreen me baby

Thanks for the great information Melodie! If I can climb out from under my last minute orders I'm playing with be florals.

~

Old 2005-12-14, 11:24am
Resident Luny

the new white kicks butt all over town. I love it. FInally I can use FV as a cream color, not a white substitute that reacts

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-12-14, 7:37pm

Default bullseye florals

Wow, Melinda and Rebecca, what a relief! I thought I had lost the ability to make florals. I have quite a few sorry little gray floral beads. It must be like the reactions of a lot of colors with effetre ivories. I think they have sulfur in them too. It was getting on time to buy some more glass!! Thanks for the great information. xiola ps...this is what I CAN do, with effetre!!
Attached Images

Old 2005-12-21, 9:59am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Can any of you tell me if a bit about bullseye?

Greg is seriously thinking of making the switch to bullseye due to compatibility issues with moretti. His stuff is getting larger and larger and he is having serious trouble with reds, oranges, yellow, and of course coral. This only really works if I am on board also. Now rubino and opal yellow are my absolute favorite colros in moretti. Are there ones that are compareable to those colors in bullseye?

I am also wondering which bullseye colors bleed...like what color with compete with frit like raku and not be taken over by it?

If anyone has tips or answers for me I appreciate it. I don't mind doing my own testing..in fact I enjoy that, but it is a hge investment to switch and just looking for a little info.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2005-12-21, 10:00am
Formerly Travelin'gal

I guess I could have started my own thread, but I mostly make florals, so I guess that is why I posted here.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2006-11-25, 8:11am

Bumping back up with Bullseye floral questions.

Which new white worked well? Opaque or dense?

And does anyone have tips for which colors to use for cane that looks like vine in the background? I tried Woodland Brown, light trns green and pea pod. But it just got blurred and murky.

Lynda
Old 2006-11-25, 11:47am
sunscreen me baby

The hosta special production color is a great vine all on it's own, very soft.
It is in the first picture. I also use any of the sp streaky green colors striped on opaque forest green.
I use French Vanilla almost exclusively under transparants for petals. The only pink I ever had get black was the special production color ruby mist. Here are some be florals:
Attached Images

~

Old 2006-11-25, 11:50am
sunscreen me baby

now that I can see them. The first is erbium pink with fv under khaki and hosta as the vine, the second is trans aqua with fv and hawaiian punch the vine was forest green with chameleon I think. The third is trans amber with fv and pale plum, hosta as a vine. The fourth is juniper tint with fv and violet striker, hosta as a vine again.

~

Old 2006-11-25, 12:13pm

Thank-you for the answer and showing your BE florals. Now I KNOW they can look good, so I'll just keep practicing!!
Old 2006-11-25, 4:09pm

Suzy those are gorgeous...

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-11-25, 8:02pm

Deanna,
Cranberry Pink striker is a great BE substitute for Rubino, and does not seem to burn as easily. I've had great luck with Raku/Black twisties on most of the BE colors.
Carol

Old 2006-11-25, 8:22pm

I am almost an exclusive Bullseye user and florals are my specialty. Most of my beads use French Vanilla as the base of my petals. I add the color on top of the FV. I have no problems with blue on FV. I also have no problem with small pink or purple beads. I get the greying pink and purple on the FV when I use it on larger beads. I can't explain why this happens, but it does. I think my torch and it's flame play a part.

I do not like the new white....I think they call it Opaque White. It seems pretty identical to the Dense White. Neither of them is Opaque. I am much more successful getting clean edges with the FV.

My experience comparing Bullseye to Morretti is I have more control with the Bullseye. It's stiffness works for me. Although, I have been drawn to my Morretti stash, because more colors have a look like they would be opaque. So few of the Bullseye colors are truly opaque. Now, I have been drawn to my morretti.....it doesn't mean I have picked it up. I am still in the contemplation stage.

Michelle

I

Old 2006-11-25, 9:04pm
sunscreen me baby

It's a floral mood thing for me Michelle, lol. Am I feeling dreamy or precise? dreamy gets BE, precise is Effetre. I love the flowing look of BE florals on transparants. If I want more defined lines I go with pastels in Effetre I know will form a separation line or stay put where I place it.

~

Old 2006-11-25, 9:06pm
sunscreen me baby

Thanks for the compliments!

~

Old 2006-11-25, 9:16pm

Default working with Bullseye Glass

Ted Sawyer is the head of research for Bulleye Glass and he could answer your question for you if you give them a call next week. If he is out of town and unreachable, ask for Tom.
Old 2006-11-25, 9:24pm

Wow, Michelle. I didn't know you used Bullseye. Now I know crisp, encased florals are possible.

Suzy, I was looking at some of your silver with Bullseye beads from an August thread. Those are great too!

I'm so glad that I started with Bullseye. Consistent colors, nicely reactive, beautiful florals. Who can ask for more.

I know some of the other Bullseye folks on the board are Lunesse, I think Pam D. Any others?

Thanks - Lynda
Old 2006-11-26, 5:07am
sunscreen me baby

Deanna and Greg Chase are.
Yeepers and Meadowsky too.

~

Old 2006-11-26, 5:54am
I'm a lilac!

I use mostly Bullseye, though I also use quite a bit of Uroboros and Moretti, and boro of course... depending on what mood I'm in on any particular day. Most of the time when I want to do florals I use Bullseye.