No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-31, 11:52am
...as in.. acoustic

Default POOP

I'm not sure I posted in the right place, but I have major questions about POOP in the torch questions area.

If anyone is a genius that can help me out (and I do mean "barney-style" explanations)....

I certainly would appreciate it.

I'm such a dork.

ThankyouThankyouThankyou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-31, 1:16pm

When you light your torch first, turn on your Propane, light it, then turn on the Oxygen.
That is the PO

When you shut down your torch, first turn off the Oxygen, then the Propane.
That is the OP part

Steve

Old 2009-10-31, 8:44pm
Lampworkaholic!

POPO also is an option. I turn off my propane at the tank and bleed the line with the oxy still on, then turn off the propane at the torch and finally turn off the oxy

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-31, 11:16pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I go with POPO too. It's the way I was taught in metalsmithing, and
there's no reason it shouldn't hold up in lampworking too.

Propane On
Oxy On

Propane off
Oxy on until all the propane bleeds from the lines, then oxy off.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-11-01, 5:25am
product of the universe

I use the popo method as well it seems to make more sense, especially with premix torches.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-01, 7:45am
Dangerous Woman

I do the PO but when shutting down I turn my O2 off at the torch, then close the propane valve. When it the fire goes out I open the O2 knobs again then turn off my concentrator.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-11-01, 8:06am
...as in.. acoustic

Thanks, everyone.

It certainly seems that there is still an element of *preference* to some of the details...

And not as many hard and fast rules.

But seeing how some of you do it really really helps me! So- Thank You!

Old 2009-11-01, 8:47am
Corgi Cult Member

Both POOP and POPO work, but never try to light your gas with the oxy already going. I too use a concentrator so I start the oxy first to let it warm up, then briefly turn it off to light the gas. I always pass my hand in front of the torch face to verify the oxy is off before starting the gas. By building this simple movement into my routine, it gives added assurance that I'm not going to hear that frightening pop that can happen if a bit of oxy is still flowing.

Old 2009-11-02, 5:40pm
Carol Bouler Owens

I do the poop also, but today I forgot and nearly screamed when the oxy went POP!
Old 2009-11-02, 7:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmama45 View Post
I do the poop also, but today I forgot and nearly screamed when the oxy went POP!
Yup, I do POOP too because I can't stand the POP either!

Linda
Old 2009-11-02, 9:19pm

I'm sorry, I thought this was a question about kitty's using the table as a litter box. (sorry, my bad)

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-11-03, 11:31am
Mary Lockwood

I do POOP when I'm just starting and stopping during a general workday.

I do POPO when I'm done for the day and won't be back to the torch and I'm bleeding my lines.

If I'm done for the day, I close the propane tank valve while the torch is still lit- once all the fuel has burnt out of the line, I turn the oxygen off. So- technically that is POPO .

Just wanted to say that because the torch has to be lit while you are bleeding the lines. It is illegal, unsafe, against code and stupid (however one would like to phrase it) to bleed unburnt fuel into the air.

I'm sure you guys all know that, but a newbie coming along reading old threads might not- so I added it.

~~Mary

Old 2009-11-03, 11:43am
Harold Williams Cooney

Well, just for giggles:

I use PO/OPO.

To turn off; o2 out, propane out, then 'burp' with o2

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-11-03, 11:51am
da General

Does no one loosen the propane regulator pressure after each torching session? We always do.

|
|
|
|