No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-26, 4:22pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Default Silver Purity on Glass

this is an old question and I have never wondered before because I have never had a problem with my silver wire. I bought some new silver wire supposedly sterling and used it on some beads. It turned dark and ugly. Do you have to use 99% pure silver on glass or can you use sterling?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-26, 4:33pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

It needs to be fine silver wire and not sterling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-03-26, 4:40pm

oh sh$$ I just ruined 4 awesome beads! thanks Lori

Old 2012-03-26, 4:41pm

Lori, where do you buy your fine silver wire? I get sterling wherever I find the best price.

Old 2012-03-26, 8:38pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I usually pick mine up from Arrow Springs (I go there occasionally - in person) and I bought a quantity of it from Corri from the Garage Sale area a little while ago. I don't know why I have so much of it since I so seldomly use it.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-03-27, 11:42am

thank you for responding Lori. It has been so long since I bought any I had forgotten. lol

Old 2012-03-27, 5:56pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

http://www.glassdiversions.com/wire_mesh.html

*f

Old 2012-03-28, 5:45am

Monsterslayer is a source for fine silver wire.
Old 2012-03-29, 11:01am
Bead maker and bead buyer

I would try pickling the beads to see if it removes the firescale from the sterling wire. After all, that's what jeweler's pickle is for.
Old 2012-03-29, 5:54pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post
Monsterslayer is a source for fine silver wire.
THIS!

I've done quite a bit of comparison shopping and Monsterslayer.com is the cheapest place, bar the occassional sale from somewhere else.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-04-13, 9:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
I would try pickling the beads to see if it removes the firescale from the sterling wire. After all, that's what jeweler's pickle is for.
This.

Nikki

Old 2012-04-14, 4:15pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh, bugger
I feel your pain. I recently traded some scrap gold for what I'd specified very clearly as wanting fine silver wire.
When I put it in the flame, it just went black and slaggy.
I suppose I'm stuck with it. Not happy.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-14, 6:06pm

Bummer Essie! I can use mine for jewelry work anyway.

Thanks for the tip on the pickle. Super idea!

Old 2012-04-14, 6:13pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I wish I could.. I ordered not only Fine silver, but for it to come in 26, and 28 gauge lengths. What I got (because I had no idea that they worked in different measurements) was one length of 2.6mm; and the other of 2.8mm. I couldn't even poke them in a light socket to light up my life LMAO

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107