The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-03, 7:50am
No Longer an LE Member

Angry bent mandrels

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:59am.
Old 2012-12-03, 8:01am

I have the same problem, no solution though - Sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-03, 8:04am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

All my 1/6'' mandrels get bend easily. I try to straight them up as much as I can but at one point, I just buy new ones as there get unusable

Old 2012-12-03, 8:16am
Nikki Haverstock

1/16 bend very easier. One time I glared too hard and one bent. I often use 3/32 Mandrels.

Old 2012-12-03, 8:20am

The rivet tool method may help if mandrels are getting bent when you remove the bead.
It helps grip the mandrel a bit closer to the bead then your average chuck.

Often when dealing with thin mandrels you might just make a plain bead on the end and cut off a few inches to make a some Pins. They seam to go over very well for scarves, viels, and hat pins.
Old 2012-12-03, 9:01am

Mine usually get bent on the end & I cut them off. I have a lot of mandrells that were cut in half to make two out of one. I didn't do it, I bought them from someone, but I like 'em shorter.
Old 2012-12-03, 9:56am
Dix Harrison

Suggestions:

1. Can you cut off the bent end? (I can work with mandrels way shorter than I thought.)
2. I turn my mandrels around (and use the other end) when I bend one end beyond repair.
3. If you send a PM with your mailing address to me, I could send you some new 1/16" and 3/32" mandrels next time I buy the rod.

Dix
kansassky
Old 2012-12-03, 10:03am

If they aren't too bad. I go down on the tile floor. Roll the mandrel back and forth and hit it with the side of a small hammer. Sometimes I can get it straightened out. But the smaller mandrels do bend easily.

Last edited by Pat; 2012-12-03 at 6:15pm.
Old 2012-12-03, 10:25am

Are you giving them a good soak before you try to remove the beads? Also try holding the mandrel up next to the bead with pliers and gently twisting the bead back and forth. I use 1/32 and 1/29 mandrels a lot myself and they are very easy to bend. A cheaper solution to buying pre-cut mandrels is to buy some 309 or 316 filler rods from welding supply and cut your own. They will get softer and bend more easily with use.

Robert
Old 2012-12-03, 10:26am
Flame Dames Rule!

I hammer bent mandrels on a steel block (but any hard even surface would probably do). Rotate while I'm hammering, and they go straight pretty quickly, and the hammering work-hardens them.

Started doing this when I had my teaching studio because the beginners would trash the mandrels removing the beads. It saved about 80% of them.

I've been following your posts, and it's wonderful what you're doing with the kids. Bravo!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-12-03, 10:59am
I think I could be a bead

Thanks for the tip, Sharon. I usuallly just cut mine off, but I'll try that next time!

Old 2012-12-03, 2:49pm
Unmedicated since '62

try using a rivet gun to get the beads off, it does less damage

also, try buying the rod i bulk from a welding store, i bought $30 worth two years ago and havent even cut it all up yet

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-03, 3:20pm

In my experience using a vise to hold the mandrel while trying to get a bead off is the surest way to bend them because it is very difficult to keep the effort along the axis of the mandrel. I try to avoid doing it unless the bead is really stuck. I usually soak the beads then grip the middle of the mandrel with good serrated pliers and rotate the bead back and forth without putting a lot of strength to avoid bending. When the beads are difficult to grip I wrap them in a wet sponge, it helps holding them.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-03, 3:20pm
No Longer an LE Member

Angry beads come loose

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:59am.
Old 2012-12-03, 5:08pm
Wonder-wench

I rotate them at eye level looking for the inflection point and gently bend them to straighten at that point.

I think I'm gonna try Sharon's beat 'em straight method next time, I like the idea of work hardening as they do seem to be getting annealed soft in the flame.

Old 2012-12-03, 5:15pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

to straighten mandrells place on a smooth flat surface 5 or 10 at a time place a heavy flat object on top the length of the mandells or longer and roll them back and forth will straighten out 99% of them. I aslo occasionally heat all my mandrells up in a kiln and drop them hot into a bucket of water hardens them up right away

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2012-12-03, 6:24pm

I fixed my post. I also use a hammer like Sharon. Not a mandrel. Oops
Old 2012-12-03, 6:57pm
honorary bead lady

Pin vise
Old 2012-12-03, 6:59pm
KitseyBelle

When are the mandrels getting bent? When you are making the bead or trying to remove it?

When I started, I had a bunch of dowels cut into 6 in. long pieces. I drilled a hole in the dowel deep enough for an inch or so of the mandrel to poke into. I used this as a handle. When it came time to put the bead in the kiln, I used a pair of pliers to remove the hot mandrel from the dowel handle and put it into the kiln.

Added bonus, I was able to use shorter pieces of welding rod since the dowel handle was part of the length. I think my initial mandrels were only 6 in. long.
Old 2012-12-03, 7:24pm
Senior Moment

Sadly, bending in mandrels that thickness is just inherent. You may want to try making your own Dr. Bill. Check your local plumbing supply stores, and see if they carry stainless steel rods, L304. If they do, have them cut the rods to your preferred length, and just file the burrs off then ends when you get home. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than buying them as mandrels, and since mandrels that thickness are going to bend anyway, why not save some money?

There is a bunch of threads about making your own here on LE; here's one to start you off if you're interested: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=90254

HTH!
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-12-03, 8:34pm
Unmedicated since '62

bill, are you hardening your mandrels before you use them? i always heat the last two inches or so (of new mandrels) till cherry red then dunk them in water, i dont get a lot of bent mandrels that way

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-12-03, 10:43pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I would totally try the 3/32 or even larger, if I were you. Using a larger mandrel will also help to absorb some of your hand shakiness, allowing you to make a better bead. I get mandrels from Howaco, because they're good quality, cheap, and I can buy as much or as little as I want. I have shaky hands, too, on many days. I make a lot of big hole beads!

Old 2012-12-03, 10:54pm
Eugene, Oregon

I buy the wire and cut the mandrels so they are really cheap. I cut a 3' length into 3 12" mandrels. If they get a bend in them I cut that end off and have a shorter mandrel. The short mandrels I work with first, it helps in staking the kiln. I can push them all the way in to the back as the first row of beads. If the short ones get a bend in them I can cut them again, usually twice is it. I have made fairy garden mushrooms on the end of the very shot ones. Then you them as plant sticks. Recycle is part of my compulsion to use up stuff. Sometimes its a good thing.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2012-12-03, 10:55pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I also wanted to share with you that if you use COE 96 or 90 glass, it's a bit stiffer, and works a little slower, so you have more time to even the bead out. I used a lot of 96 & 90 when I was first starting out. Made some of my best beads using it.

Old 2012-12-04, 9:03am
No Longer an LE Member

Cool Mandrels hate me

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 7:57am.
Old 2012-12-04, 9:40am
Salt Box Beads

I soak my mandrels overnight in palmolive dish soap water and usually most of them are laying in the bottom of the jar in the morning...

Very easy to remove, most just slide off. The trade off is that the madrels have to be cleaned very well and I take a very soft manicure block buffer to them before I dip them into bead release. But it is worth it.
Old 2012-12-04, 9:55am

I roll(just as I was taught in my Lamwork classes here in Switzerland) my mandrels between two wooden cutting boards to straighten them. One at a time while pressing really hard. This works really well for the thinner mandels that easily get bent.
Old 2012-12-05, 3:22am

Dr Bill, unfortunately I can't see how you can get the beads past the bend once it's been made. Cutting off the mandrel at the bend seems the only solution...

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-05, 3:35am

Roll them on my drive way under my feet. Shoes on of course.
Old 2012-12-05, 4:59am

Consider using larger Mandrel and thin tubing to bring the hole down to a smaller size?
I bend a lot of my 1/16s but not many 3/32s.

Kym