LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-06-12, 9:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Wood is good and with a sauna too?! You will be all set to relax after a long day of torching. Hope it all works out for you and I am looking forward to seeing other peeps shed builds..
Old 2011-06-14, 9:00pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking Well the last of the pergola comes down!

The last part of the sections of pergola we needed to remove are coming down tonight. Now the area is really opened and the shed will fit. Woohoo.

The flower bed is still too soft even though we have watered and let it dry in the 105 heat we are having. So tomorrow DH will tamp it down with his post pounder. He may have to add more soil and do this for a few days before we can add the DG ( decomposed granite).

Tomorrow we are going to Home Depot to pick up the DG, the stepping stones and the polymeric sand....If we have enough money May have to put everything on hold and wait for a good payday.

So here are the latest pics. The last pic is of the pergola that gets to stay for awhile longer. Maybe tomorrow we will get the umbrella up. It has solar lights. I will try to get a night time pic of it.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-14, 9:06pm
i'm not dave

105??? you must live near redding or red bluff. it didn't even break 90 here---here being in the river bottom where its always 5-8 deg cooler than town.

what will the polymeric sand do for you? terry
Old 2011-06-14, 9:59pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Oh Lorraine, the sauna would not be in a same building as the studio! But now Im starting to think about it...
Old 2011-06-14, 10:31pm
Salt Box Beads

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivydave View Post
105??? you must live near redding or red bluff. it didn't even break 90 here---here being in the river bottom where its always 5-8 deg cooler than town.

what will the polymeric sand do for you? terry
Terry, we did a lot of research and found that the polymeric sand will be poured over the cracks, swept into them and watered. It then hardens like concrete without all of the fuss. Here is a link for you:
http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/p...meric_sand.htm And yes, it IS Red Bluff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Oh Lorraine, the sauna would not be in a same building as the studio! But now Im starting to think about it...
Giggle.... But..wouldn't it be nice just to walk over and relax in a sauna after torching and dream about what will be in the kiln in the morning?
Old 2011-06-15, 8:40am
i'm not dave

thanks for the sand link. i always wondered why sand and cement dust couldn't be mixed together, brushed on and watered for a weed/ant/sand seal. i see someone else wondered too and found the solution. i'll remember the info when we have a terrace on the creek installed. note, i'm NOT saying when WE do it but when we PAY for it. we are far too old and decrepid to do it ourselves. instead, we stimulate the local economy.
Old 2011-06-15, 8:59am
Salt Box Beads

Terry you are so welcome and us oldies have to stick together..LOL We are pushing 60 and between DH's spine and neck being full of painful arthritis and spurs, the heat and the cost, we chose to do it this way.

It was easier to pay for as we can do it in steps, we can each lift the stepping stones much easier than bags of concrete mix and we don't have to shovel heavy wet concrete bent over at odd angles which at our age just kills us.

We had a licensed handy man ( retired contractor) come out and give us a quote, YIKES, we are doing it ourselves. Even a regular handyman charges way too much for us.

We decided to try to get everything we wanted done to the property in the next few years while we still could on several levels.

I must say a terrace on the creek sounds awfully good. My family hails from Louisiana and we are rocking chair porch/deck people. Yep, sounds real good right about now.....
Old 2011-06-15, 6:07pm

Awwwww.. I am jealous of the heat your getting. We practically have to have a fire lit in the eve its so nippy! I soooo crave the hot balmy summer evenings and having to swat the bugs away!
Your project is moving along so quickly.... I am hoping by summers end, I will bring a pitcher of ice tea over to celebrate your new digs: )
PS... thanks for the prayers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-16, 1:33pm
Salt Box Beads

Dawn, you will get to enjoy the heat soon enough. I have been an ice tea drinker since I was pre teen so Bring It.. I'll provide the eats. I am so excited because maybe we can get away to some of the glass happenings at Arrow Springs and with Norcal Lampworkers. I am mailing in my dues this week.

Okay....more pictures. We just got back from Home Depot and they were almost out of the stepping stones, so we laid out the shed and will do just enough for that one corner area that needs the stepping stones and then add what we need later on each side. We will leave those areas covered with the gravel for now. Talked to a landscaper and the plain ol pea gravel will be just fine, we don't need to buy the DG, so a little more money saved there.

The outer dimensions of the shed are 7.5 and 10.5 with some of it roof overhang. You can see how small the shed is now that we laid out the area. But it is perfect for our small patio and for me. I only wanted to have the torches, glass and frits in the studio so I am thrilled with the size.....for now!

Daphne looks totally bored with whole thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-06-16 at 3:50pm.
Old 2011-06-16, 2:14pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Daphne does not give a poo about a shed!
Old 2011-06-16, 3:41pm

Lorraine, what nice progress with your new studio of resin! What a wonderful husband to help so much.

And Pia, what a wonderful idea to have a sauna; I'd love to have one myself. My grandparents moved from Finland to Wisconsin (where my mother was born - brother was born there, too). As a little girl, I remember visiting my grandparents in Wisconsin and enjoying the true sauna experience.

Yvonne
Old 2011-06-16, 3:58pm
Loving learning

You're getting closer & closer, and you'll have it done right instead of just throwing it up with no patience... excitement building!
Old 2011-06-16, 4:47pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvon View Post
Lorraine, what nice progress with your new studio of resin! What a wonderful husband to help so much.

And Pia, what a wonderful idea to have a sauna; I'd love to have one myself. My grandparents moved from Finland to Wisconsin (where my mother was born - brother was born there, too). As a little girl, I remember visiting my grandparents in Wisconsin and enjoying the true sauna experience.

Yvonne
Yvon, I know it is kinda weird to have sauna in Texas... after all it gets over 100F during the summer here, but when the temperatures start to drop, maybe in November to April on the cool nights, I would really love the chance to go to sauna!
Old 2011-06-17, 1:42pm

I'm in Florida. . . so it's hot here, too. The neighbors have a sauna in the back yard, but we are not "friends" enough that I've ever been invited. However, on a couple of occasions they have helped me here and there.

And for studio space within a shed, that would take a lot of work on my part. Fortunately, I have a "family room" that is taken as a studio. But I like to see what people do with sheds being used for studios. The way the space is utilized offers ideas for setting things up perhaps better.

Yvonne
Old 2011-06-17, 3:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Right now I would love a Queen Sized ICE bucket with water!!! Too dang hot here!!!

I am seriously thinking of buying a redwood tub and making it our cool tub in the summer and our hot tub in the winter.

Maybe tonight I can snag a pic of the new umbrella with all of the lights on it. It has been in the sun today so the solar battery should be charged enough.

Today we are tamping down the soil some more...
Old 2011-06-17, 3:24pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Daphne does not give a poo about a shed!
Nope, and she sure let me know I was derelict in my Daphne duties...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvon View Post

Yvonne
He is wonderful, and I know how lucky I am to have him as my marriage partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
You're getting closer & closer, and you'll have it done right instead of just throwing it up with no patience... excitement building!
The patience part is wearing on me a little though. Especially like today when all we can do is tamp down soil, water, tamp down soil, water....but at least other studio builders will know what to expect..LOL
Old 2011-06-17, 6:38pm

When our air conditioning didn't work it helped me to get in the bathtub full of cool water and soak for a while - my body would literally warm the water but would col down in the process. Not quite as nice as a pool, but it works!

I am enjoying watching your shed process. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 2011-06-17, 11:16pm

Love watching the progress your making. It's giving me a ton of ideas. You both are doing a fantastic job!
Old 2011-06-18, 8:36am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewsicmama View Post
When our air conditioning didn't work it helped me to get in the bathtub full of cool water and soak for a while - my body would literally warm the water but would col down in the process. Not quite as nice as a pool, but it works!

I am enjoying watching your shed process. Thanks for sharing it!
You are very welcome. Cool baths and showers are my summer favs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2glassgal View Post
Love watching the progress your making. It's giving me a ton of ideas. You both are doing a fantastic job!
Thank you for the lovely compliments. I am so glad you are getting some great ideas. if you haven't read my older horse trailer thread you might want to because it has a ton of ideas also.

Here are some pics of my new patio umbrella with about 50 solar lights on it. I LUV it!!! The first pic was taken at twilight and the second a few minutes later at dusk.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-18, 9:04am

It is gorgeous. Solar lights are so awesome! I have them everywhere. Lining the driveway, the walkway, backyard, there quite addictive! Love them on the umbrella

Off to look for your trailer thread!
Old 2011-06-18, 9:47am
Salt Box Beads

Shoulda put the link here for you....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=horse+trailer
Old 2011-06-19, 8:53am
Salt Box Beads

Default Pea Gravel!!

Well we got half of the graveling done. I picked up 1 cubic yard yesterday in my Tundra. Weighs 1.3 tons. The guy was raving about how good the Tundras were for hauling stuff. A man with a dodge truck was there, don't know what year but he got a cubic yard of soil and his trucks nose was pointed at the moon..LOL

With that being said he had the gall to tease me when he drove by because I had put a plastic tarp down in the back of my truck before the gravel was dumped in. I have a nice bed rug in it and I want to keep it nice!

As he was driving by he rolled down the window said..."what's a matter? Don't wanna get your widdle truck dirty?? He had a huge smile on his face as he said it. I made a face back at him. He drove away laughing.

My truck on the other hand just had 1.3 tons of gravel dumped into it's 6 foot bed and was level. The tires were a little flatter but my truck was AWESOME!!!

The gravel cost $29.95. Very reasonable. Sure beat 60 bags of gravel from Home Depot!!!!

Here are the latest pics for you.

The first pic shows that we got half of the area graveled. Now we have to tamp it down before putting in the stepping stones. The second pic shows the other half the area taking it's time to dry out. Then we will tamp it down and add the gravel.

It also show the slope down to the second terrace where DH's Tuff Shed barn is.

The last pic shows how much gravel one cubic yard is! This pic also shows one of the large cracks in the concrete. We have a lot of ground movement here in California and that's what happens. It's not from tree roots or gophers etc.

I suppose in the near future we will have to address those....sigh.

So at this point the advice I would give is to choose a place that is shed READY!!!! Unless like us you want it in a certain spot, and are willing to go to a lot of effort expense to put it there.

Sheesh we are getting tired, especially DH. I think he is ready to go back to work at his real job.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-19, 10:33am
MacGalver

Looks fantastic, Lorraine, and its so great you are sharing all your info about how you're preparing the ground. I was fascinated to read about the polymeric sand even though I have no immediate use for the info.

Thanks again!

Jo

Old 2011-06-19, 12:40pm
Salt Box Beads

You are so very welcome Jo. It will be interesting to see how that polymeric sand works for us....we should be able to use it on Tues or Wed if DH doesn't get called back to work.
Old 2011-06-20, 9:22am
Salt Box Beads

The pea gravel is all done! Now it has to be packed down and then we can place the stepping stones which we will buy today. They are not cheap! They are going to be the most $$$ spent besides the shed itself.

Walmart has the cheapest at 3.28 but they may be bad quality, Home depot is next and the quality is good at 3.48 ea. Hopefully more pics tomorrow or tonight but it is already over 80 degrees here.... so gonna be a hot day.

We have enough gravel left over to do a small area on the south side of the house for a small lean to shed to hold gardening tools...Yay! DH may want to do that today to get the gravel out of the way.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-20, 12:39pm
i'm not dave

lorraine--i can't believe how expensive your pavers are. here, they are $1/ea at HD. i know cos i'm waiting for them to go on sale as i need 400 of them. are they the patio pavers or something else?

yes, its going to be brutally hot this wk. ick. terry
Old 2011-06-20, 6:36pm

Love following your progress! Can't wait to see it all set up!
Old 2011-06-20, 7:43pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivydave View Post
lorraine--i can't believe how expensive your pavers are. here, they are $1/ea at HD. i know cos i'm waiting for them to go on sale as i need 400 of them. are they the patio pavers or something else?

yes, its going to be brutally hot this wk. ick. terry

They are the 16" X 16" square stepping stones.. just like the ones you see in a few of my pics. Don't know why the heck I keep calling them pavers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moushka View Post
Love following your progress! Can't wait to see it all set up!
Thank-you so much for the encouraging words..we need them. It was 108 today so NO work outside except the watering.

Marti Ann, you will be pleased to know I finally put up the solar lights and bought more today..butterflies to put up in the Crepe Myrtle tree! Can't wait to see how they look and of course I will take a picture..Hehe

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-06-21 at 9:29am.
Old 2011-06-21, 9:22am
Remember to keep smiling

Lorraine stopping by to check to see how it is going. You have accomplished quit alot. I love the solar light patio umbrella that would be so awesome to set back in the evening with a nice cool drink. I know you & your DH will be enjoying that this summer. Looks as if the barn raising will begin very soon. I'll be tuning in.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-21, 10:32am
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Paula, we need the encouragement.

I don't think I ever told why I wanted to put the studio in the back yard and one of the reasons we sold the horse trailer.

I couldn't get the business insured in the horse trailer. It went something like this:

Oh...if it is in the horse trailer then your auto insurance would cover it....

Auto Insurance, Oh we only cover the trailer in route, your home owners policy would cover it and contents when parked on your property....

Home owners insurance, well we don't cover contents. Horses/contents can be insured under a farm and ranch policy, we won't cover any business contents in the horse trailer that would fall under your business policy....

and so on and so forth!!

So I decided I needed to have a "real business' and I needed a separate shed for a separate policy that would cover, my shed, the contents, my students and cover my students for teaching at the torch.

so here we are...