Long sleeves, pants, & shoes 10 20.00%
Some kind of covering that you consider protective 5 10.00%
Leather or suede (apron, etc.) 10 20.00%
Other 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-01, 4:57pm

Question What do you wear??

Hi:

I'm wondering what everyone wears to be safe while at the torch.

Evolution is only a theory, just like, um, gravity.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!
Old 2006-02-01, 5:52pm
Retired to the flame

I wear a full length leather apron. I add Kevlar gauntlets when making "dillys"
And of course eye protection.

Apron has saved me several times!!! (once today!!)
Old 2006-02-01, 5:56pm
Entropy increasing....

I wear a full fire proof hazmat suit with an oxygen respirator and a NASA space shuttle approved helmet.
Old 2006-02-01, 7:35pm
Retired to the flame

kevan. Picture ... Please!!!!
Old 2006-02-01, 8:03pm
Entropy increasing....

Old 2006-02-01, 9:07pm
Retired to the flame

Now that is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (formal bow down)
Old 2006-02-01, 9:13pm

I was in between two sections - Not just what I was wearing for the day since not everything I wear for work is a natural fiber. Jeans and a cotton top, shoes... I don't have a problem with short sleeves, I just watch where my arms go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-02-01, 11:11pm
koregon

this time of year?? wool ugg boots and sweat pants and a sweat shirt

summer time?? if its hot...you dont wanna know, I aint gonna melt into a puddle I'll tell ya that much

Old 2006-02-01, 11:54pm
Viking Flame Keeper

Jeans and something cotton on top. Long sleeves or short sleeves doesn't matter.
No shoes, only socks, but that could be cultural. No one wears shoes in their homes over here.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-02-02, 2:48am
Aquarian Artist

The other day, I got up in the morning and went to torch in "what I had on" plus my usual long sleeve cotton flanel shirt. This is a verbal description of my ensamble:

Black pajama pants with yellow happy faces.
Hot pink t-shirt
Blue & green plaid flannel shirt
Flame print bandana "skull cap" to hold my hair out of my face
My ever-so-fashionable "economy" didy-glasses
Lastly, on my feet - Uggs.

I went to the bathroom and nearly scared myself silly when I looked in the mirror! If someone were home with me, I would have had them take a picture.

But as far as safety, I always make sure my clothes are cotton, wear my didy-glasses, and make sure my hair is out of my way. I have thought about buying a piece of leather to lay on my lap because I have had a hot piece of glass jump on my lap a couple times, but I haven't gotten around to it.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature" - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 2006-02-02, 6:08am

A suede apron as long as it's not over like 80 degrees. Then it is either on my lap or if that is too hot I probably (maybe) don't work.

In the winter I wear a leather coat to protect my arms (and keep me warm). Once the coat comes off it's natural fibers but not always long sleeves (I'm bad). My husband spent 2 weeks in the burn unit as a teen and the only thing that saved him was the natural fibers.

So I'm a combo but mostly the apron is on. About 1/4 of the time so is the coat. On occasion my arms are bare. I'm not that worried about a burn from glass. It's the burn with articifical fibers that creeps me out.
Old 2006-02-03, 10:29am
Design Diva

Default I'm in trouble now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Oh my gosh! What trouble I'm in at the office. They did not appreciate my outburst of laughter when I saw the Cartman Lampwork Uniform.

Way tooo funny!

Evil E
Old 2006-02-03, 12:55pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil e
Oh my gosh! What trouble I'm in at the office. They did not appreciate my outburst of laughter when I saw the Cartman Lampwork Uniform.

Way tooo funny!

Evil E
That's actually Butters, not Cartmann...

Old 2006-02-03, 8:04pm
Cancer Sucks!!!

Check with Mary (Moth). She has the best torching outfit ever!! Just ask her!

As for me, jeans and a cotton shirt, shoes (always) and my trusty auralens glasses with a handy dandy strap that goes around my head! Sexy! (rolls eyes)

I'm bilingual, I speak Sarcasm as a second language!

New beads in my shoppe!! Finally!
Old 2006-02-04, 3:39am
Cheerfully Profane

Jeans or pj's, some sort of shirt, a fabric apron with buttons and burn marks on it from marbles rolling off the punty and either no shoes or flip flops.

Yeah, someone's going to hang me. I can't help it! I can't stand to wear shoes when I'm working!

Gary at A Touch of Glass in Asheville had a good laugh at my choice of footwear at the first Hot Time In The Mountains. Extremely cute red kitten heels, strappy only over the toes with red leather pom-poms with grommets all over them. Sexay. I do believe his exact words were "those are not lampworking shoes". But Gary, of course they are!!!
Rebekah
Old 2006-02-04, 6:45am
boro color bender

I'm a T-shirt guy. I wear flip flops and shorts too. Hey, it's Florida!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-04, 9:54am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie
Check with Mary (Moth). She has the best torching outfit ever!! Just ask her!

As for me, jeans and a cotton shirt, shoes (always) and my trusty auralens glasses with a handy dandy strap that goes around my head! Sexy! (rolls eyes)
LOL, I've been saying for years that we ought to put out a calender of our sexy selves.

The best part is the glasses. When hubby sees me put those glasses on, watch OUT! LOL

PS. Is that a dig at my battery operated socks? Because I KNOW you aren't going to tease me about my red long johns...don't even go there. LOL

Old 2006-02-04, 8:39pm
Cancer Sucks!!!

Mary! You know I would NEVER make a dig about your battery operated socks! LOL

I'm bilingual, I speak Sarcasm as a second language!

New beads in my shoppe!! Finally!
Old 2006-02-04, 8:53pm

Always - Didys

Summer - Long Cotton Cargo shorts, XLG Cotton T-Shirt (but only one with a snug neck), and sneakers. Sweatband if I need it to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Winter - Jeans, long sleeve T-Shirt, sneakers or boots, baseball cap.

Eric
Old 2006-02-08, 5:53pm
oxygen deprived

My torching buddy often works in the nude! I think she's nuts.
Old 2006-02-08, 8:49pm
Jane of all trades

Jeans and cotton t-shirt and I always wear my suede mules... If I wear another shirt that is not natural fiber, I change before going to the torch.

Old 2006-02-08, 11:25pm
needs to light the torch.

In summer when it is super hot in my studio I torch in my undies and a tank top...
Most of the time I wear flannel pants and a tank top or t-shirt...
I have to be comfortable to be able to make beads, I am all about being comfy!

Old 2006-02-09, 6:09am
I fart diamonds

Pshaw! Clothing is for wussies!

Old 2006-02-09, 8:50am
Floral Obsessed

I always wear closed-toe shoes, and I usually throw on an old red cotton hoodie zipped up tight. I'm haven't been tempted to bare much in the new studio since I set it up in December because it's in an uninsulated part of the basement so (as you may well imagine) it's freakin' cold!

I also wear Auralens didy's and, if I'm working with metals, a sexay North gas mask (it's black silicone, yo!). If I'm watching over Andrea's shoulder I wear other safety goggles. Big ones!

I wish I had battery-operated socks, though. Mary, please enlighten us!

-Heather
Old 2006-02-09, 9:10am
High Maintenance

My didy's always, then I have my cotton jeans, cotton tshirt, and fur lined leather clogs for my feet. My tshirt sleeves are usually 3/4 length or shorter. I'm more afraid of catching the cuff of a long sleeve on fire than I am of burning/cutting myself with a piece of flying glass.
Old 2006-02-11, 12:47am

Lightbulb How Varied!

Wow! Thanks to all of you who have answered so far! I knew it would be varied but it's funny to see how all of us have different ideas of what is safe. Some of you could apparently care less! Lol! Nude? Come on! I bet your other half appreciates that - my husband would fall down if he saw me torching with nothing but my suede apron on!

Here's how I look: Yes, I must be comfy at all times! I am almost always in my jammies. Head to toe: Diddy's, jammies, suede apron that goes just a bit past my knees, socks, & I also have a pair of slippers that are like boots that I wear constantly (fur lined, fake suede, warm!).

Most of you are not wearing aprons & really should be. They're very cool! They're also very safe. (I know of someone who droppped a marble in her lap - um, you know where - but she WAS wearing suede on her lap. What a trip to the ER THAT would have been! Imagine?)

Anyway, I was thinking of getting some suede aprons for you guys who want them. They're really nice & comfortable to wear. (They're A LOT cheaper than I thought they would be!) See me in the garage - those of you who are interested. I'll need to know how many to get.

Keep the posts coming, too! I love to imagine all of you when I read your lovely descriptions! Lol!

Old 2006-02-11, 7:53am

ussually I'm in "other" simply because its what I wear or don't wear around the house. I've not ever had any issue with glass work. I did try a suede apron and it chaffed something awful. I see no point in protecting my skin from a bit of a burn if I'm going to sand off even larger sections.

A.
Old 2006-02-11, 9:47am

It chaffed? Really? The one I have is so soft. Did the one that you tried have some kind of backing on it? Was it stiff? If you were to rub your hand across a suede coat, that's how mine feels. Glad to hear you've never had any issues, hope it stays that way.

Old 2006-02-11, 9:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina
It chaffed? Really? The one I have is so soft. Did the one that you tried have some kind of backing on it? Was it stiff? If you were to rub your hand across a suede coat, that's how mine feels. Glad to hear you've never had any issues, hope it stays that way.

it was quite thick and heavy cow hide suede and it was fairly/very rough. I was a bit stiff also, but not stiff paper stiff but stiff heavy stiff. there was no backing on it. It was made for working with casting metals. It was a lovely color- but lets face it wearing it was kind of like wearing bright blue sand paper. And I've very careful due to the fact that I'm not really seeking new sources of pain and agony.

A.
Old 2006-02-24, 2:29pm
speed winding is a sport.

I usually wear blue jeans...denim shirt (sleeves rolled up)...cotton undershirt...clogs... a canvas apron...and my didy's. Altho, I must say, in the summer I wear as little as possible and have had no major problems. I just can't wear jammies when doing any kind of work...am I lame???