Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-03, 6:09pm
Old enough to know better

Default Northstar annealing recommendations

I was checking out Northstar's site and happened across their annealing chart:
Borosilicate Annealing
Anneal Time: 1 hour for every 0.25 inches of piece thickness
Soak Time @ A/T – 125 deg: 50% of the Anneal Time for pieces 0.25 inches thick or
less. 100% of the anneal time for pieces greater the 0.25 inches thick
Soak Time @ A/T – 200 deg: 25% of the Anneal Time
Soak Time @ A/T – 350 deg: 25% of the Anneal Time
Soak Time @ A/T – 550 deg: 25% of the Anneal Time
A/T=Annealing temp, degrees F
This is a lot different than Bandu Dunham's recommendations. I understand that the high metal content of the glass could increase soak time over clear boro, but does it increase it this much? Using this schedule, a 1" bead would soak for 4 hours, ramp down to 925 and soak for 4 hours, ramp down to 850 and soak for 1 hour and so on. This would be a total ramp down time of 7 hours to 500 deg on top of a soak time of 4 hours for a total of 11 hours

I thought a soak time of an hour would be more than sufficient for a 1" bead. Then, ramping down to 950 deg at 70-100 degrees an hour. Then, the cooling rate can increase a bit with no further soak periods. Since I rarely make anything as large as 1", I've always thought this was reasonable.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How long do you anneal boro beads, say 1" thick or less?

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-03, 6:23pm
Glassy Lady

I anneal my boro at 1050F for 1 hour for beads 1" or less in diameter. Then I ramp down to 700F at 150 degrees/hr, then I turn the kiln off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-03-03, 6:43pm

Thanks Alex. That sounds more like it!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-03, 7:04pm
boro color bender

Northstars numbers are not out of line at all. The slower you go, the better. I don't see soaking at any point under 950 doing any good, but whatever makes you warm and fuzzy. I'll need to chat with NS and find out why they suggest this. Going slow from annealing temp to strain point is most important. When I make toys, I am on a 24 hour annealing schedule bare minimum. Thicker pieces are longer... that's just the way it goes. Look up annealing and read everything you can on it. You'll understand that just because it doesn't break, doesn't mean it's free of stress or annealed properly.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-03, 8:46pm

Hi Smiley - I do like to be safe on the annealing side. I've read a fair amount about annealing - the most thorough treatment I've read is in Bandu Dunham's Contemporay Lampworking. I'm confused because the tables in CL list VERY different soak times. Also, his recommendations don't include long soak times at the strain point or below. I'm interested to hear why NS recommends these long soak times, especially the ones at 925 (assuming one is annealing at 1050) and below. Thanks!

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-04, 6:14am
boro color bender

I'll call Charles and chat with him about that soon. No idea why anyone would soak at those temps. On a thick piece, I can see going slow below the strain point, just to avoid thermal shock... but not soaking. I agree that it is weird... really weird. There may be some crazy reason that makes total sense though.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-04, 6:55am

Thanks Smiley! Meanwhile, I'll increase my initial soak time a bit. After all, I really do want to practice safe soak...

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-04, 9:08am
boro color bender

Soak longer than you think and ramp slower than most people say to.