Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-04-29, 6:42pm
Bead Imp

Default Gerber Daisy Tut???

A friend gave me a pot of gerber daisies and we were talking about what pretty beads they would make. I've tried and can't get the look I'm wanting. I'm wanting to do the tab bead with a raised flower. I know I've seen them before, but can't for the life of me get it right. Anyone know of a tut or have any tips you can offer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-29, 6:54pm
I speak Murrini!

If all else fails, you can have a great deal of fun with the Cattwalk "Daisy" Press (this is the "Daisy" - not the "Daisy Tab"!!!!); here's a link:

http://www.cattwalk.com/Embossed.htm#Daisy

It's actually a very fun press to use!!! I have a picture of the finished bead in my avatar; here's a bigger version so you can see it (and how "consistent" the beads are!):

Can't wait to see what else gets posted here!!! I'd love to learn to do the "raised" and "applied" versions!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-04-29, 8:22pm
Sheryll

I haven't tried it but I imagine a tab bead or a lentil bead base with two layers of petals on top?
Old 2008-04-29, 8:34pm
Entropy increasing....

Actually, it's Gerbera daisies. They aren't from the baby food company they are from South Africa and they look like this, though they come in lots of shade of yellow, orange and pink. One of my favorite flowers.

Old 2008-04-29, 9:27pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, that's gorgeous! And had it known it looked like THAT, I wouldn't have made that silly press suggestion (ha!). Anyway, sure hope someone comes up with a step-by-step; saw something very wonderful in Gallery not long - can't recall who make them, but they looked a lot like these - and almost good enough to eat!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-04-29, 9:43pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I think it's Villa Designs? who makes the raised ones. They are really beautiful.

Kelly

Old 2008-04-29, 10:04pm
Bobby

This might help.

Bobby

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43634
Old 2008-04-29, 10:19pm
Bead Imp

Yep, Kevan's right it should be Gerbera (but it is named after a guy named Gerber. Right, like I knew that already) Aren't they beautiful flowers! The problem I'm having is getting the right size dots before creasing. If I make them too big they just grow together and there is no distinction. If I make them too small they aren't big enough to pull. I know PPP. I'll keep trying. I've only been doing one layer. I'll try 2 layers and see if that makes them look any better. Maybe in the mean time Melissa will pop in here and bop me upside the head and tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks guys for the help & info!

QUOTE=Kevan;1823456]Actually, it's Gerbera daisies. They aren't from the baby food company they are from South Africa and they look like this, though they come in lots of shade of yellow, orange and pink. One of my favorite flowers.

[/quote]

Old 2008-04-29, 10:25pm
Bead Imp

oh wow! Thanks Bobby! I hadn't thought about making the petals separately and attaching them to the tab bead. Now where did I put that coffee cup warmer? I know I have one around somewhere!

Old 2008-04-29, 11:37pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Great tutorial link but does anyone have a picture of the back of a finished pendant? I can't figure out how to balance it so that the weight of the flower would not pull forward and hang flat on the neck. Was that clear as mud? LOL
Old 2008-04-30, 9:01am
Sheryll

Make the hole on the tab so it's not in the middle, but closer to the top.

Old 2008-05-02, 7:11am

Do you have a petal puller. I don't have one but I've seen lots of beautiful beads made with this tool. You make the petals seperate and attach them to your lentil or tab bead. You could pull the tip of the petal to give it a more pointed look also if you want. I'm not sure who sells them but I think I have to have one. LOL!

My Facebook
Old 2008-05-02, 7:19am

I've asked recently for Gerbera daisies in my arrangements and have been told they are now called Gerber. I thought, ok but you could tell what I wanted so why make me feel stupid?

Next to roses these are my favorite and are my mother's and daughter's favorite flower. I can't grow them so I have to get them from the florist. A bead would be awesome. But then of course I'd need the intense pinks and other colors to seal the deal.

I use the pliers that are now someone's tool for petals but I think they'd have too much curve. Maybe if they were upside down. Now I'm curious. Wonder if it would be better to layer the glass on or do the petals on the hot plate route.
Old 2008-05-03, 5:50am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I dont do two layers, These are large and funky enough! lol
Its alot of fun to play with the colors you can on these!

Gerber's (gerberas) are in my list of fav's too..

~~
~~
Old 2008-05-03, 8:33am
Where's the coffee?

Those are gorgeous Laurie!

Old 2008-05-03, 8:55am

I would suggest a petal puller too and pull the petals very thin and sharp like in the picture Kevan posted. I make the Leonardo type flowers with the pullers and and heat up a hot plate. decorate the center and add the petals. It might take forever to make that many petals but it would be worth it in the end. For an encased version, do a flower with as many dots as you can and it will thin out the petals to a more straight line. Typically, I have a bigger spot in the middle to plunge on these but you could just add some color to the center and not plunge the dots to see what you get. I haven't tried that. I bought a beautiful "coffee table book" with all types of beautiful photos of flowers in it. I refer to this book all the time when I am trying to make a new flower.

Good luck with it. Hope something works out!

And Nancy, I just switched to boro and you've inspired me to try these in boro so if I come up with something good, you will be getting a RAOGK! I hope I can pull it off. If not, you might just get a regular Leonardo type flower but I am going to try to make you a Gerber/Gerbera daisy today and will see what happens!

Last edited by Rachel; 2008-05-03 at 8:58am.
Old 2008-05-03, 9:10am
Bead Imp

Laurie those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Old 2008-05-03, 9:16am

I know just what you are looking for --- it is these. Scroll down the page a bit and you will see them. She is the zen master at them.

http://www.icraft.ca/villa_design

Jen
Old 2008-05-03, 9:19am
Bead Imp

Thanks for the tips Rachel! I'm going to try pulling the petals today and see what I can come up with. I might even try an encased one to see what happens. But to tell the truth, I suck at encased florals Never can get them to look pretty. I hope you will post of picture of your boro try!

Last edited by Parrotise; 2008-05-03 at 9:43am.
Old 2008-05-03, 9:34am

I'm wondering about doing them like the encased flowers but not melted flat or encased. In other words, on a bead not as the bead. I'm probably not saying it well. Maybe I'll try one this way and see how it turns out.
Old 2008-05-03, 11:11am

Gerber Daisies are actully a trade name of Seagroat green houses. They have the patant or copy right on the gerber brand daisies. They are some sort of hybryd.
With big flowers the size of small sunflowers. They have been growing in popularity over the last 4 or 5 years sence they came out with them. The seagroats hooked My girls friends sisters wedding up with a them a few years ago and they were the rage. The guests were taking them home form the table settings and what not.

But I would bet the sea groat famely would love the have some thing as cool as a glass one from some one. As they are very proud of the gerbers and There home office is full of gerber posters and add stuff. I guess it was one of them flowers that was said could't be done. Like the blue rose.

Old 2008-05-04, 12:50pm

Oh yes, I also looked in my coffee table book of flowers and they call them both Gerber and Gerbera. So, I think both are correct. I will definitely post a picture if I come up with something good.

Old 2008-05-05, 5:16pm
I speak Murrini!

(INSIDE SCOOP ALERT!!!)

I hear through the glass-vine that Melissa (Villa Designs) and the actual creator of the "concept" behind her Daisy Beads shown on her site, Karla of SirWatson Designs, are working together to create a Tutorial for this wonderful design, which Karla originally created with her "Sunflower" Beads. I think it may be coming to an Etsy Page near you (I think it will go on Karla's page, but I'll beg her to post in the "Self-Promo" thread when it's available)...

(Just the Messenger...)
DeAnne in CA

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-05-05 at 5:20pm. Reason: Cuz' I'm a ding-a-ling!!! :)
Old 2008-05-08, 3:14pm

Okay this is still in the refining process, but I really like how these turned out.

I would be more than happy to explain how I did this, but after reading the above post, I'm not sure if that would be appropriate? I don't want any bad "Karma" so let me know if it would be okay to post MY tut.
Old 2008-05-08, 8:34pm

I would love to see your tutorial on making these flowers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopnglo View Post
Okay this is still in the refining process, but I really like how these turned out.

I would be more than happy to explain how I did this, but after reading the above post, I'm not sure if that would be appropriate? I don't want any bad "Karma" so let me know if it would be okay to post MY tut.
Old 2008-05-08, 9:46pm
Bead Imp

Terri those are awesome! Seeing that yours aren't like Melissa's and Karla's I don't think you would be stepping on anyone's toes. I for one would love to see your tut on making these! You can never have too many flower tutorials! Especially for the flower challenged like me

Old 2008-05-09, 5:58am
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:

Gorgeous beads!

I really wish people would quit with the "I created the..."

Sara

Old 2008-05-09, 7:24am
moth to the flame

Quote:

Very Pretty!!!

I'd love to see how 'you' did these, please post your tut!

I can't wait to try it!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-05-09, 7:29am
Does that shed?

Terri yes please post your tut on those lovely flowers. I would love to know how you make them.
Old 2008-05-09, 8:08am

Thanks for the response. After checking out the other daisy makers, I feel mine are completely different so I'll post the tut. I don't have any pictures, just a description, but if you have any questions please let me know.

I made a base with a straight sided lentil press. It is easier to follow the natural curve of the bead to get a round flower.

I made a stringer with rubio over white, then encased in clear. This will give different hues within the same stringer. And won't burn the color out of the rubio.

Start by placing a raised dot in the center of the bead, them marver it flat, but don't melt it in. You will pull all of the petals just to the outside of this dot, but touching it.

I've found that you want to melt a pretty good glob on the end of the stringer. You want enough glass to be able to make it from the outside of the bead to the center in one motion.

When you apply the stringer, press it down so it kind of squishes and then push it to the center. When you burn the stringer off, leave the little dot raised.

Continue around the bead, butting each petal up next to the last, touching. It will over lap slightly.

When all of the petals are on, I take my tweezers and pull all of the dots in the center closer around that initial dot. You will have to manipulate the glass to get it the way you want.

I hope this makes sense??