Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2011-02-22, 11:29am

Default Marketing Tutorial! :)

Hi everyone! Me again. OK, so over the past two years I've been including marketing talks with my lampwork classes since many of my students have wanted to learn more about selling their work. It's my favourite subject to talk about (that and beads and fitness!) and I have been asked to put together a tutorial on the subject.

There is so much information to cover that I don't foresee it being one big volume - new information is always coming available and I learn new things from my own experience that I love to share. So, I am asking for questions on subjects related to marketing your work that I can help you with in smaller, bite-size pieces. I don't claim to be a marketing expert nor do I have a marketing degree, but my experience is worth sharing and I love to talk about it! After years working in medicine and building up several different careers, I have managed to make more money doing what I love in the bead world than in any of my other careers put together. Even with a faltering economy, my business has continued to grow each year and I would love to share how that has happened for me.

So, if you are willing to share some ideas for subjects you would like to hear about, please post them!

Lookin' forward to hearing from you!

Check out my new DRAGON Tutorial now on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-22, 2:12pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
...my business has continued to grow each year and I would love to share how that has happened for me.
Ummm... 'cuz you make absolutely frigging GORGEOUS beads that are so unique and jaw-dropping that you can price them REALLY well (for your end of the transaction) and still sell them, along with selling Tutorials by the GROSS of said gorgeous techniques, AND with your insane talent, are also afforded the opportunity to travel and teach? Silly.

Old 2011-02-22, 2:24pm

LOL! Thanks Lisa! You are so sweet. I really appreciate your wonderful comments, thank you! It has been a lot of dedicated work though, getting my "name out there" and I have learned so much in my journey with this little bead business. There are oodles of talented lampworkers out there - I have found that many just don't know where to start to get their sales really rolling! Not everyone is comfortable promoting themselves or knows really how to go about doing that. That's where I would love to help. I'm a natural promoter - it's my personality and my passion. That said, there are so many great ways for others to grow their business even if they aren't naturally inclined - or know how - to put their work out there the way I have done.
I really feel that there are more than enough customers in this world for all of us to succeed in any level we wish! I'm excited to share what I've learned and hope to help everyone achieve even a little more momentum towards their goals.

Old 2011-02-23, 9:54am

I have done well marketing myself locally, but would love to know how to take it to a bigger level. Things like creating a press release and how to get into teaching would be great, as well as how to market to bigger stores etc. Thanks! I am really looking forward to your tut!
Jessica

Old 2011-02-23, 1:12pm

Hi Jessica!

Thanks for the input! Those are subjects that I get asked about a lot in my classes. There are so many opportunities to launch your work on an international level. Plus simple steps to promote yourself such a press release and getting published lead into teaching opportunities. I will definitely be covering those topics!

Old 2011-02-25, 10:18am

I'm really interested in this Kerri. I'm relatively new and have no clue where to begin. There is so much info out there it's a bit daunting as to where to start first. I esp don't want to make expensive mistakes but what/where's the best place to start? Would this tut be for marketing noobs or more advanced peeps?

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-25, 2:42pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Feel free to use anything you want from this, Kerri:
http://www.loribeads.com/etsyselling.htm

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-03-22, 8:19pm
Lover of Life

i would absolutely purchase this tut!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2011-03-23, 6:06am
Happy Glass Girl :)

sign me up

Old 2011-03-23, 7:05am

Default The need for speed

First Hi there Kerri! I have yet to make your aquaintance outside of this fourm,(teach in Texas much?) but you could have knocked me over with a feather when I started to really try to get back to my passion to find another (oh so talanted Kerri) Yea us! I started lampworking in 97-98 and was able to do it full time for about 4-5 years. I have a couple of beads published in Cindy Jenkins last book and I had a few art glass galleries carring stuff for me.

I am NOT a self promoter! just could never do it!

I have still torched on and off over the years as life and time permitted but have been unable to give it the time it deserves and I want. That said the bead world has evolved into another level and place! It's wonderful to see but I have a little of the "what could have been syndrome" If I had been really able to PUT myself out there more would I have been able to stick with what I love?
SO How do you introduce yourself to a mass market by this I mean retailers? Even going from small place to place that could possibly carry my merchandise, what is the best approach with the most positive outcome?
Do you really HAVE to have a website to be able to sell well? Doesn't seem as though many of those outlets are doing very well right now i.e. ebay/etsy
Who ever started the whole (I think awefull) Pandora thing was really a marketing genius. I WILL PAY for the answers! Kerri
Old 2011-03-26, 12:57pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Default Upgrade

What about when you want to completely upgrade your product from silver plated to sterling silver--and need to charge for the better quality item/higher costs? How do you change the view of prior clients/people who have seen me (and my--gasp, the shame!--of manufactured beads made by other people), but never bought at the $15-$30 range?
I get a little discouraged! Someone goes gaga over my stuff, buys a few things--but most others just pass by. I am displaying at a womens networking meeting (eWomen) and have begun to do my own glass work--beads and fused--and want to design with sterling. This will obviously change the price point and yet I feel, will better suit the quality of my product.
But going from a lower price point to higher (even though it is much higher quality and one of a kind) --How is it best to demand and get it?

Many thanks
Sheri
Old 2011-04-12, 7:55pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Kerri... Will you also be talking about "Presentation"? I'm not talking about how to take photos of my beads but how to present my beads to make them look their best! I hope this makes sense......... Hugs Sandy

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2011-04-12, 8:06pm
Sorry for party rockin'

How to successfully divide up your time between making (beads, jewelry, etc), managing and promoting your business.
I tend to get tunnel-vision with the "making" part and neglect the other parts.

Old 2011-04-12, 8:12pm
Formerly FishBulb

I'd love to know about successful SEO so Google finds listings easier. I've set up a few jewellery listings on Artfire which doesn't have the internal traffic that Etsy has, and I have to rely more on SEO keywords and such. I'm clueless about this stuff.

That's why I'd almost rather sit through those godforsaken craft shows; at least then I can just keep my yap shut while people look at the stuff. I don't have to make it sound all awesome. I've always been a poor sales person and I'm even worse when it comes to my own stuff.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-04-12, 8:18pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I'd be interested in promoting myself locally. Are there more efficient ways than simply word of mouth or walking the pavement to get your work out there, where are the places that might be more unconventional, how do you promote yourself in smaller towns that don't have a dedicated bead store? Just some ideas.

Old 2011-04-12, 11:53pm
Remember to keep smiling

Keri is the tut finisssssssssshhhhhhhhed yet....lol

How to market a more or less non traditional bead such as Critters hard to break into the jewelry making market with items such as those.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-04-14, 12:31am
Chief Creative Goddess

Looking forward to any updates on when it may be ready--
Many, many thanks for wanting to share with us!!
Old 2011-04-14, 2:47am

I want i want i want!! gimme!! gimme!! GIMMEEEEEEE!!!! lol cant wait i soooooo would love that tut!
Old 2011-04-14, 9:22am

Put me on the list if you you pre-order
Old 2011-04-18, 6:27am
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Feel free to use anything you want from this, Kerri:
http://www.loribeads.com/etsyselling.htm
I just saw your post and checked out your site and the above page. Thank you so much for sharing such great info.