Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What do you do with your broken or cracked focal beads?
Throw them in the garden. 19 19.59%
Fuse them into cabs. 30 30.93%
Re-melt them somehow. 5 5.15%
Throw them away. 50 51.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-07, 5:03pm
DSDWC

I have done the same thing in all three of the houses I have lived in during my glass career.

I throw all the fuglies in the woods behind the studio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-07, 9:34pm

Fuglies ... I send to my Mum who sells them to raise money to take old people to lunch! Apparently I funded a whole coachload of OAP's (over 65) for a days outing and a lunch. Apparently they are a hot item! If anyone wants to donate any ... I give better fuglies to beads of courage.

My broken beads - depending on the bead ... I may fuse and use as a cab, or if totally unsavageable I throw it in the garbage.

Old 2009-01-08, 5:51am
Yeah me!

I make pretty frit! I sort out by like color combos all of my cracked or crap beads, clean them with my dremal and CRUSH em!

That will teach em! lol

Old 2009-01-08, 6:33am

After cleaning the bead release off, I toss them into the shallow end of my fishpond. They glitter in the sun (when the water is clear) and look pretty.

Sals
Old 2009-01-10, 9:03am

pitch 'em in the trash unless they have some spot of something worth keeping for future reference.

I mean, seriously. they aren't made of platinum. They're just GLASS. I used to hang onto every scrap of fabric, yarn, stained glass ... whatever ... from whatever I was making. I finally realized how idiotic I was being and pitched it all except any USEABLE larger pieces. Then I threw them away.

{shrug} to each their own but I use the circular filing cabinet a LOT.

Old 2009-01-10, 9:13am
Lover of all things color

You know, your absolutely right. I have to start throwing things away. I keep everything. I have the very first beads I ever made, they are hideous. Hey, maybe I'll make a bracelet for my mom, you know like when you were a kid and you brought home that ugly ashtray to a home where no on smokes and they had to display it with pride because you made it for them.....LOL Poor mom. Nope, gonna go in there right now and throw them all out in the woods. I have lots of woods, eons from now someone will find them and think they have found a treasure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
pitch 'em in the trash unless they have some spot of something worth keeping for future reference.

I mean, seriously. they aren't made of platinum. They're just GLASS. I used to hang onto every scrap of fabric, yarn, stained glass ... whatever ... from whatever I was making. I finally realized how idiotic I was being and pitched it all except any USEABLE larger pieces. Then I threw them away.

{shrug} to each their own but I use the circular filing cabinet a LOT.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-01-10, 3:24pm

I just fused a bunch into cabs. I have 2 settings in the tumbler right now. Before this I threw them in a wood box....with the idea that some day I would do something with them. I want to get a mold to turn them into coasters or something. There are not enough hours in the day!

Old 2009-01-10, 4:26pm

I have glass friends that I give them to to melt down to cabs and use for jewelry and more. They love them. I used to do a lot of seed beading and would have loved using those for cabs to bead around.
AWESOME necklace jgraff!!!!

Old 2009-01-10, 5:19pm
Artistically Absorbed

I am using thermal shocked beads in some of my electroforming, but I don't fuse them into cabs, I just use them as is.

- Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2009-01-10, 5:25pm

I throw mine away.

Debbie
Old 2009-01-28, 5:10pm

I put mine into liquid soap pump bottle. My son loves orange and he will ask to use the bead soap to wash his hands!
Old 2009-01-28, 6:15pm
Lover of all things color

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsigirl View Post
I put mine into liquid soap pump bottle. My son loves orange and he will ask to use the bead soap to wash his hands!
I like this idea. Hey, they might even sell??? Get some pretty bottles with a pump fill them with the beads and liquid soap and call them art. Hmmmmmmm

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-09-18, 10:14pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I have a friend who does mosaics and other grout art work. She gets my fuglies and brokens to play with.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-09-19, 5:41am

all my broken/2nds beads and marbles go into a vase full of water that mother puts dried flower arrangements in.
Old 2012-09-19, 10:34am
burnin' glass just becuz

i hoard every bit of glass scrap cuz i'm convinced i'll use them somehow, somewhere...

At first i sold broken beads to mosaic artists but then once my style developed to be more identifiable, the concept of quality control came up and i limited that activity. I recently donated a bag of my best broken beads to a famous Cdn salvage sculptor who was thrilled to receive them - i figure better they're included in things that sell for several thousand than for $5, right?

I've also started experimenting with mixed media art work and think i've figured out how to use all those random bits to add an unusual and personal touch. we'll see.

Then again, maybe i'm just a hoarder and one day i'll be found buried under huge piles of glass scrap. ;D

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-09-28, 5:22pm

I throw them in the woods thinking some kids will come along on a treasure hunt one day and find these glitzy, glamorous (yuk!) cast offs that I thought looked like mud and worse.

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-09-30, 11:52am
Catnip Pusher

How about the fugly, lopsided, or popped hollow beads? What to do with those?

Aimee
Old 2012-09-30, 12:06pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I don't make beads but my fugly marbles I put in Geo-caches.
Old 2012-09-30, 1:26pm

My fuglies go to my aunt for her aquarium or the neighbor kids to play with making necklaces. Any thermal shock ones go into my plants.
Old 2012-10-02, 7:19am

I give my cracked beads to a friend & she glues them on picture frames along with other stuff. They are really pretty. We auctioned one off at church camp this summer for $75.