No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-10-14, 8:16am
ninja thread killer

Default FINALLY!!! My shedio :)

My white Saltbox was a long time coming but it's here . It's 12x8 with a high peak so the interior seems larger.

This is the start of the foundation prep. DH dug out the grass and poured a pea gravel foundation surrounded by block. It was easy to do and the pea gravel levels nicely.

Then, the shedio guys came in and built this in a day. The thing is, it wasn't built to our specs. It's a Tuff Shed built on the Pro Ranch base but with a seven foot front wall and a five foot rear wall to make it a Saltbox. We spent quite some time at Tuff Shed going over our Drawings and were assured they could do it. We'd upgraded the shingles but when they put the shingles on, they used brown for the ridge (did they think we wouldn't notice?). The window was in the wrong spot - the door couldn't be fully opened without hitting the window box and covering part of the window. And the edge of the roof was supposed to be boxed all around.

It took a while to work things out with the company but two visits later, all was corrected and I'm happy as a clam now . My dutch door opens so I can keep doggies out, if need be. Now it's a matter of getting the interior set up. Lots of work but that's the fun part!
Old 2011-10-14, 8:27am
I'm a lilac!

Awesome! How fun! I loved having my studio in a shed out back... sometimes I regret moving it, but I may just move it back one day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-14, 9:15am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Nice looking studio. Have fun.
Old 2011-10-14, 9:39am
Somewhat out there!

That's so cute. Lucky you.

Julianne
Old 2011-10-14, 11:41am
Master Procrastinator

Looks wonderful Karen! So happy for you! Can't wait to see the progression on the inside.

Old 2011-10-14, 10:48pm
I'm meeeeelting

Very cute!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-10-15, 12:53am
><>

Looks great.
I am thinking of a similar set up for me here, but my husband
now thinks maybe it would be better to build out part of the garage. We'll see.
Have you run the electrical yet?
Are you putting in AC? (I'm thinking you live out in the S.F or S.G. valley,no?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-10-15, 1:49am

Very nice.
Old 2011-10-15, 8:24am
ninja thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Looks wonderful Karen! So happy for you! Can't wait to see the progression on the inside.
Lea, between the shed, the house being painted and new windows, I'm on cloud nine! I'll post pics of the inside as it comes together, for sure

ps. i wish you were here to visit it!
Old 2011-10-15, 8:33am
ninja thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
Looks great.
I am thinking of a similar set up for me here, but my husband
now thinks maybe it would be better to build out part of the garage. We'll see.
Have you run the electrical yet?
Are you putting in AC? (I'm thinking you live out in the S.F or S.G. valley,no?
Follow your heart (meaning, make your space where you know you'll be happiest and most creative). It makes all the difference

We haven't run electrical yet. That's the first thing - deciding the layout and where the outlets should be. It's a sticky spot because DH wants to initially run power cords out but I want to go straight for wiring. We've been married long enough for me to know that if I start working off of extension cords, it'll never get properly wired because he'll figure that it works that way so it's a done deal. I feel a standoff in my future . And yes, he knows I want a/c. We're in Santa Clarita (magic mountain, anyone?) and it gets hot here. I don't like hot.

(secretly, I think he's afraid he'll never get me out of there, lol!)
Old 2011-10-15, 9:58am

Smile

Wow, Karen, that's really great! What a HUGE shed too! Lucky you, and I'm so jealous that you folks in California can get by with gravel underneath. Here in Chicago, we'd be skating in ice covered stones, LOL.

I can't wait to see it all finished. Good on you!

Old 2011-10-15, 10:06am
Master Procrastinator

I'm tempted Karen! We were actually out your way several years ago before I 'knew' you. We're bound to meet 1 of these days. Consider this your reminder to come to NY for a visit soon.

Old 2011-10-15, 11:04am
ninja thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Consider this your reminder to come to NY for a visit soon.
Thanks
Old 2011-10-15, 11:42am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keewin View Post
Follow your heart (meaning, make your space where you know you'll be happiest and most creative). It makes all the difference

We haven't run electrical yet. That's the first thing - deciding the layout and where the outlets should be. It's a sticky spot because DH wants to initially run power cords out but I want to go straight for wiring. We've been married long enough for me to know that if I start working off of extension cords, it'll never get properly wired because he'll figure that it works that way so it's a done deal. I feel a standoff in my future . And yes, he knows I want a/c. We're in Santa Clarita (magic mountain, anyone?) and it gets hot here. I don't like hot.

(secretly, I think he's afraid he'll never get me out of there, lol!)
I so hear you on that!!! LOL!
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-10-20, 3:31am

ADORABLE!!
Old 2011-10-25, 6:26pm
Bead Geek

That's so cute!
Old 2012-02-25, 11:58am
ninja thread killer

After selling off more than half of my frit fetish, this is my frit wall. There are still some odd containers in a drawer but this is most of it. Lovin it!
Old 2012-02-25, 12:22pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Cute. Love the frit shelves.

Old 2012-02-25, 1:22pm

What are the frit shelves made with?
Old 2012-02-25, 1:26pm
ninja thread killer

They're wire shelves I bought about ten years ago. Wish I could find them again!
Old 2012-02-26, 5:40am

Those are great. How cool

Jen
Old 2012-02-26, 7:45am
Cancer SUCKS!

I think Ikea might have something similar. Look for spice racks. Might not vbe as long though.

Old 2012-02-26, 8:08am

That is the best shedio I have ever seen. I love it. I want one and love the frit shelves too. Gee....you don't have very much frit

Old 2012-02-27, 5:49am
ninja thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Gee....you don't have very much frit
Thank goodness

ps. and thank you
Old 2012-02-27, 5:12pm

I love the "shedio" and i really love your cow painting!!! Congrats!

Old 2012-02-28, 1:48pm
ninja thread killer

I love that cow!
Old 2012-03-02, 10:09pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Who painted the cow? I just love it! Your studio is soooo cool!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-03-03, 8:33am

What a warm and inviting space. I can just imagine the positive energy that will flow into your beads when you work in such a nice studio. Congratulations!

Old 2012-03-03, 2:11pm
ninja thread killer

The cow was painted by Betsy Mclellan http://www.etsy.com/shop/betsymclell...te_desc&page=1
She's a very inspirational cow, isn't she? So much so I'm contemplating a cow wall

Betsy is wonderful to deal with and her work goes quickly so you have to stalk. My cow is one of her originals but she has prints of it in her shop, plus many other cows to pick.
Old 2012-03-04, 8:57am

Love your Studio. No longer a shedio.
You now have the best part of being a lampworker and then some.

Rose Leslie