Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-01-01, 6:20pm
one day at a time

Default I need help with transparent beads, please?

I don't know what it is about me and taking pictures of transparent beads, but I think these look so yummy in outdoor natural light, and so crappy under the photo lamp. In the photo lamp picture it looks like the base color is glaring under the frit. That's not how they look in real life, unless you are under a fluorescent light, of course. It just makes the frit look too "spotty".

What can I do to make the beads look a little more like the ones in the outdoor photo, but with using the photo lamp indoors? Is there a way to cut down on the internal "glare" without making the photo too dark? I don't want to have to take the ones with the white background outside. That looks funky too, and I will have to adjust the color if it's taken on the white paper. Been there, done that.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-01-01 at 6:26pm.
Old 2013-01-01, 6:37pm
Loving learning

Have you tried changing the placement of the lights?
Old 2013-01-01, 8:28pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Have you tried changing the placement of the lights?
It's a single CFL bulb in an aluminum shop lamp and it hangs about 2ft above the surface. No, I haven't tried a different angle because the light hangs from above, so I will have to think of a way to place the light so it and whatever is going to hold it up won't get in the way of the shot.

Maybe changing the angle about 15 degrees will do it. If it works, I will give an update. Thanks!
Old 2013-01-01, 8:30pm
Melody of Glass

How about a different colour background? Might pop on a black background without the "glow".

Personally, I'm more drawn to the ones on the white background because I see cool details I didn't see in the other picture. They look solid pink against your hand.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-01-01, 8:42pm
Alaska Boro

The beads on the white IMO is the better shot.

One could try to position the beads so that they are off of the paper. Say 6 inches or more. That would blur the background and give some separation. Then processing could be done in PhotoShop to enhance what is necessary. Another possibility is to place the beads on glass, with the glass above the paper. Reflections will be an issue, but there are ways to solve that issue.

To remove the hot spot use a large piece of linear polarizing material in front of the light source and a CP filter on the camera. Adjust the CP to remove the hot spot.
Old 2013-01-01, 9:38pm

It would help if you used two lights, one on each side of the beads. Also, since these are transparent beads a light from underneath would also help light up the inside of the beads. If you don't have a light tent or umbrellas or any other type of light modifier you can also use something white (like a large white piece of cardboard or a white sheet) and point the light away from the beads so it hits the white cardboard or cloth and bounces back onto the beads. This will help reduce the hot spot. Or if you have a large embroidery hoop you can put a piece of white cloth in it and hold it between the light and the beads. Move it back and forth between the beads and light to get the best diffusion of the light.

Also, those are very pretty beads.

Mike
Old 2013-01-02, 4:47am
Now part of the Dark Side

^^ What Mike said. Also, if you are using Photoshop you can adjust the white balance, to a point, with either your white background for a reference or take a photo of a white card. Remember a CFL does not contain the same mix of colors that the sun does. Look at your ACE 202's under CFL then taker them outside, big difference blue vs purple.
Old 2013-01-02, 5:04am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
The beads on the white IMO is the better shot.
yes yes yes
Old 2013-01-02, 11:00am

I agree - the 2nd photo shows off the frit nicely. the 1st looks like plain pink beads. Not bad.... just not as pretty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and also ......
Old 2013-01-02, 12:19pm
one day at a time

Thanks to all of you for the tips! I need to learn my camera settings and different placement of the lamps, new backgrounds, and I should use my light tent for these anyway.

These transparent beads are very hard to photograph, because like boro, they look very different in different light settings. I guess I will have to provide both pictures because they are accurate in the way they look in both settings in real life.