No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-05-18, 10:40am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelrybypatty View Post
Dawn please tell me your going to list those on Etsy! They are just beautiful.
Thanks Patty! Those were from last week and are already sold, but I have lots of raku sets and more to list tomorrow. ( Late Monday afternoon. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2008-05-18, 11:23pm

Robin this bead is AMAZING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoza View Post
Everyone's beads are incredible!! Great job and thanks for the inspiration.

Dawn ~ I can't tell you what a HUGE help you've been and everyone else who contributed tips. I was never able to get raku to strike much until recently. I used all of the tips here. Thanks everyone!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-05-18, 11:44pm
HourGlass Studio

DAWN....WOW!!! Stunning color.
Old 2008-05-19, 6:36am

A new question for you Dawn. At the torch I have been getting consistent colors with unencased raku. I usually do a few reheatings to get bright greens, but mostly deep blues and purples going into the kiln, but when they come out they seem more yellow. The color seems to be developing in the kiln. Any suggestions. I will try to post some pictures.

Joyce

Old 2008-05-19, 8:33am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFS View Post
A new question for you Dawn. At the torch I have been getting consistent colors with unencased raku. I usually do a few reheatings to get bright greens, but mostly deep blues and purples going into the kiln, but when they come out they seem more yellow. The color seems to be developing in the kiln. Any suggestions. I will try to post some pictures.

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

That’s actually a very good question. I’m not sure I have a fast and easy answer for it, but I can tell you about an experience I had that might help you figure out what’s going on.

First let me tell you that I have a Chili Pepper Kiln. My normal annealing temperature is 950 degrees. I soak my beads at 950 all day as I make them and then at the end of the day my kiln ramps down. Normally my raku beads look the same going in the kiln as they do when they come out, so I've never really had a problem with kiln striking…or fading.

One particular day I had made lots of beads and towards the end of the day I needed to do a quick rearranging to fit more beads in. I cracked the door open just wide enough to peek in and quickly shuffled some beads to the side, trying to be quick and not let too much heat escape. Well of course, the temperature went much lower that it does when I just pop one bead in and shut the door, so as a result, the heating elements had to stay on for longer periods of time to reestablish the 950 degrees. When the beads came out of the kiln, the ones that were in there before I rearranged came out a bit more pale that the ones I put in there after I rearranged. They didn’t look bad, but I could tell they had lightened a bit. They definitely got struck in the kiln. Now I do my rearranging before I actually need to and I only do 2 or 3 beads at a time so I don’t have to keep that door open and let the temperature drop. Haven’t had any problems since.

I’m sure that all kilns differ in the amount of heat they loose when the door is opened and a bead is added. So either you’re lingering too long with the door open or it may just be the nature of your particular kiln.

One little test you might want to try just for grins is putting one bead in there that is darker than usual. In other words, once you super heat and chill it, but before you tease the bright colors into it, pop it in the kiln kind of dark, and see if it strikes just a little on it’s own to the brighter, but more vivid colors you’re looking for. And just do one or two beads like that in case I’m completely out of my mind on this.

I hope this helps, and do let us know how you make out!

Old 2008-05-19, 10:04am

Thanks for the reply Dawn. I think I definitely keep the door open too long. I will work on that, but I think I might have also figured another factor. I am using a regular light bulb as my only light source, and I work out in the the back patio. It dawned on me that the light bulb gives off a yellow light, so I think that might also have something to do with it. I will try keeping the door opening to a minimum and using a white light. I will try to get the pictures posted when I get home.

Joyce

Old 2008-05-20, 6:30am
Addicted to Frit!!!

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!! I was so excited when I was able to finally strike Raku.

Dawn, those beads are STUNNING!!!

Thanks again,
Robin

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Old 2008-05-23, 7:34am

Default Thank you Dawn

I am finally posting those pictures. Sorry the quality is a little off, I used my point and shoot. The first three are the ones I made before Dawn's tip about the kiln door and not letting the temp drop too much. The fourth (bottom right) is after that great tip, which I really think helped. The first pictures have a lime green cast to them (maybe it does not appear in the picture. Thanks Dawn. Also, what is the annealing schedule for raku?

Old 2008-06-11, 3:37pm

Hello there everyone.

I just have a little question about different COE's in Raku Rods. I tried both 92 and 104, and for some reason 104 was really dull... 92 is absolutly amazing, i even got some fluo greens, very trippy

Anyways, i've been encasing them or putting some raku stringers on different colour beads, mixing my raku 92 with my clear and other colours 104. I've been getting a few cracks but really not that many, maybe 1 out of 10.

So is it ok for me to keep mixing them? what COE raku do you guys use? if its 92, what other colours do you use with it?

Thanks.
Old 2008-06-11, 5:03pm

True Raku is 96 COE (Reichenbach Iris Orange) and I get blazing colors from it. Not so much with the 104 COE Raku. Raku Cane in 96 COE range May be used ON TOP of Moretti glass as accent color (no more than 20% of total glass for the bead.
Hope this helps!
Hugs
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Hello there everyone.

I just have a little question about different COE's in Raku Rods. I tried both 92 and 104, and for some reason 104 was really dull... 92 is absolutly amazing, i even got some fluo greens, very trippy

Anyways, i've been encasing them or putting some raku stringers on different colour beads, mixing my raku 92 with my clear and other colours 104. I've been getting a few cracks but really not that many, maybe 1 out of 10.

So is it ok for me to keep mixing them? what COE raku do you guys use? if its 92, what other colours do you use with it?

Thanks.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-06-11, 8:05pm

Thanx danelady,

so no more than 20%, cool, i'll remember that.
Old 2008-06-12, 12:48pm

Hi All,

HELP
I'm a newbie and have made a set of Raku beads. (color nothing like yours) but even though I annealed them they have cracked the next day. I am using Bullseye glass and a supposedly compatible Iris Orange Raku frit from Arrow Springs. What do you think would cause this?

Marley
Old 2008-06-12, 1:33pm

Hi Marley,
If the Raku and BE aren't the exact same COE and you use too much of the Raku, it can definitely cause cracking. WHERE the crack occurred can tell us what may have caused the cracks... was the crack in the beads midline (along the mandrel?) this is usually stress cracking caused by improper annealing or cooling during the annealing process. I hope this was of some help!
HUgs
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley View Post
Hi All,

HELP
I'm a newbie and have made a set of Raku beads. (color nothing like yours) but even though I annealed them they have cracked the next day. I am using Bullseye glass and a supposedly compatible Iris Orange Raku frit from Arrow Springs. What do you think would cause this?

Marley

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-06-12, 1:45pm

I've got a few BE beads with raku and no cracks (1+yrs old), but when I really want to work with it, I have a small stash of Uroboros white, black, amber, olive, clear that I use with the raku. No worries there with compatability.

What's your annealing temp Marley?
Old 2008-06-13, 5:54pm

These beads are amazing!! I am going to have to pull mine out to play again!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-06-21, 8:22pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Dawn, I have yet to play with my raku but I am so inspired!!!!! I can only hope that your good raku juju will travel down the coast a bit to Boca where I will be more than happy to put it to good use!!!! Until then thank you so much for giving me all the tips to get started. I will post pics when I am done with my first beads. Thanks again.
Michelle,
www.sundoorbeads.com
Old 2008-06-22, 7:08am
JulieV

This bead style was taught to me by Sherry Bellamy, using just a bit of raku.
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-22, 7:27am

Wow Julie. Great bead!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-22, 7:56am
JulieV

Thank you.
Sherry is a wonderful teacher.

Old 2008-06-23, 8:32pm
Creatrixie

That is a very cool bead Julie!
Nifty....

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-08-24, 2:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
I've had quite a few people tell me lately that they just can't get any colors out of their Raku, and want to know what my secret is. Well I'll tell you, but you can't tell anyone else.....LOL!
I went through tubs of raku frit before figuring it out, so I'll give you a few tips on what works for me. And if anyone else has any tips, please feel free to chime in. But first, a little raku eye candy to get you motivated......

Okay, in a nutshell, it's all about heating it up super hot then chilling it real quick. Try this ...... Make a very small black barrel. Roll it in #0 raku frit and melt it in. Let the bead cool until it looses it's glow then super heat it until it gets that "white orange" glow. Take out of the flame and gently marver it with a graphite or brass tool. You will notice the raku turns black. THIS IS A GOOD THING! Now encase the bead in clear. You will start to see the colors develope as the bead looses it's glow. And even more gorgeous colors will appear when it's cooled and you take your bead out of the kiln.

The same thing applies to beads that you don't plan on encasing, but you may have to experiment a bit to know how hot to go before chilling.

To do a "Rainbow Dot".....make a bead, add a dot of raku with stringer, heat it and flatten it with a graphite or metal tool of your choosing, let the bead cool slightly then just barely heat the dot again, as soon as you see the edges of the dot start to well up flatten it again. This is what makes that little rainbow pattern in the dot. Then apply a drop of clear over the raku dot and tada!....You've got a raku rainbow!

Now get off that computer and go DO some RAKU!

Edited to say....You really need to read through this entire thread. There's tons of beautiful photos and great advise from not only myself, but lots of other members as well. But if you want my most up-to-date explanation of Raku in a nutshell, go to post #405 on page number 14. As time has gone by, I'm starting to figure out how to better put into words what I need to say about Raku. Print it out....Read it...Have fun with it, and don't forget to post photos of your gorgeous beads!
Dawn, will your wonderful tips & hints work on a Hot Head torch? Are you using a Nortel Minor? I had heard (read?) that you can't get "raku" colors unless you can "oxygen-deplete" the flame some way (e.g., cover up the HH ports, etc.). What do you think?

jdleigh
Old 2008-08-24, 2:16pm

Default Free Raku and Intense Black Twisties

Hi all,
I think it's appropriate to post a link to my Raku and IB Twisties sale. It's running for this week only... please check it out or PM me for details!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...57#post2028957
Thanks and hugs
Pam & Lynnie

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-09-08, 9:22pm

I have not read through completely (if i did that I'd have no time for beads ) but I do have to say that Dawn is the most amazing person and definitely deserves the title RAKU QUEEN. I am now hooked on this amazing color? effect? I am now using at least some raku in just about every bead I make. PS if you use the the rainbow dot tech to make raised florals it looks great!!!! Thank you Dawn for being an amazing teacher and friend!!!!! I promise to photograph the beads and post them here!!!!
Michelle
www.sundoorbeads.com
Old 2008-09-08, 9:33pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdleigh View Post
Dawn, will your wonderful tips & hints work on a Hot Head torch? Are you using a Nortel Minor? I had heard (read?) that you can't get "raku" colors unless you can "oxygen-deplete" the flame some way (e.g., cover up the HH ports, etc.). What do you think?

jdleigh
jdleigh, I think it is the opposite, or maybe somewhere in between. You can get pure propane on a HH, which is optimal for reduction, however, if you over reduce, you still won't get the "pop" your looking for (not that I'm an expert on raku, just that I have a hothead and can't get raku to work for me!)

It seems to me the key is to get it super hot and then cool really fast or deep. My HH doesn't get hot enough to get "white hot" glass, or to see the frit turn black. I think I need to see it in person....

Dawn, when are you going to do a video demo?!

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2008-09-08, 11:01pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
I have not read through completely (if i did that I'd have no time for beads ) but I do have to say that Dawn is the most amazing person and definitely deserves the title RAKU QUEEN. I am now hooked on this amazing color? effect? I am now using at least some raku in just about every bead I make. PS if you use the the rainbow dot tech to make raised florals it looks great!!!! Thank you Dawn for being an amazing teacher and friend!!!!! I promise to photograph the beads and post them here!!!!
Michelle
www.sundoorbeads.com
Awww...Thanks Michelle! That is just so sweet!!!
And thank YOU for being an amazing student! I'm looking forward to our next Raku "play date"!

Now....Show me the beadies!!!!

Old 2008-09-08, 11:10pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
jdleigh, I think it is the opposite, or maybe somewhere in between. You can get pure propane on a HH, which is optimal for reduction, however, if you over reduce, you still won't get the "pop" your looking for (not that I'm an expert on raku, just that I have a hothead and can't get raku to work for me!)

It seems to me the key is to get it super hot and then cool really fast or deep. My HH doesn't get hot enough to get "white hot" glass, or to see the frit turn black. I think I need to see it in person....

Dawn, when are you going to do a video demo?!

Mona
Thanks for answering this, Mona. When it comes to HotHeads I have no clue as I've never worked on one. But I can tell you that if you want the vivid colors, do NOT reduce your raku. Not even a little bit. There were a few people who posted some very colorful beads in this thread that were made on a hothead. And I know Sarah Hornik gets awesome raku color on her HotHead but I have no idea how. There must be a real magic wand somewhere on that messy workbench of hers!....

Old 2008-09-08, 11:22pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Sara Hornick IS a magic wand! You must be her sister, Dawn!

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2008-09-08, 11:37pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
Sara Hornick IS a magic wand! You must be her sister, Dawn!
...Yes she is magic!...She's the Queen-O-Rubino!
Oh, and to answer your question about when I'm going to do the video demo....Just as soon as I can find some poor unsuspecting victim to hold the camera while I made a bead!

Old 2008-09-10, 7:19am

I will be more than happy to hold the camera- Your techniques and knowledge are definitely worth it. I am not having luck photographing the beads. I take all my photos outside- yucky weather lately. Raku does not look it's best on a cloudy windy day. But today when I go to DH's office I will see if I can use there light tent they have to try and get some shots. Thanks again for this thread.
Michelle
www.sundoorbeads.com
Old 2009-02-15, 8:10am
Noobie

Ive been trying this with no good results, Im going to go buy one of those little fans that have a clip to attach to a table...Ill let the fan do the blowing for me