No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-08, 1:52pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default I pickled my clear...

I pickled my clear and there's more scum than before, what did I do wrong?!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-08, 2:17pm
A True Woofer

What kind of clear? Someone pickled a DH clear and wound up with the same problem.

Old 2012-03-08, 2:32pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Mine was CIM clear.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-08, 2:57pm

I remember someone pickled their silver glass that was a clear rod and ruined it. Expensive lesson learned on that deal!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-03-08, 2:58pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

ICK! That is no good but I seem to remember the same thing happening to me- I almost felt like it "pitted" the glass- it reminded of one of the CIM trans aquas that bubbles and scums at the slightest touch of the heat- there was also a "haze" on the rods that I could not get rid of! Interested to hear what's going on!!

Old 2012-03-08, 4:54pm
Loving learning

What did you use, and how much? It didn't take much to get them clean.
Also, how long did you leave them in, and did you rinse them well?
Old 2012-03-10, 1:44pm

I haven't used mine yet but ... I used a heaping TBS of pickle in about a gallon of water. When I pull the rods out I dunk them in a tub of water with a scoop of baking soda added to neutralize the acid THEN I rinse them under a running stream of warm/hot water. They are all so sparkly clean I can't STAND it.

Old 2012-03-10, 2:28pm

BAKING SODA. There is your answer. You didn't get all the baking soda off the glass.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...+soda*+bubbles

You add a dash of baking soda to the molten glass and it will cause bubbles.

Try pickling your glass again and rinse it off without the baking soda. That's the culprit right there.

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2012-03-10 at 2:31pm.
Old 2012-03-10, 3:55pm

I wasn't the OP. I make VERY sure to RINSE RINSE RINSE and then I wipe them with a nice towel. Since I haven't tried to make any beads yet (I'm only like HALFWAY through my stash ... WHY DO I HAVE SO MUCH GLASS???) I don't know if I"m going to have any problems. I doubt it though. The rods all squeak they are so clean.

But thanks for the heads up.

Old 2012-03-10, 4:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
I wasn't the OP. I make VERY sure to RINSE RINSE RINSE and then I wipe them with a nice towel. Since I haven't tried to make any beads yet (I'm only like HALFWAY through my stash ... WHY DO I HAVE SO MUCH GLASS???) I don't know if I"m going to have any problems. I doubt it though. The rods all squeak they are so clean.

But thanks for the heads up.
Darn- and I thought I was so smart on figuring out the problem! lol.. that'll teach me. sigh...

I'm going to back out of the room quietly now...

Sue
Old 2012-03-11, 2:47pm
Triumphantly Knit!

just rinsing in some soap and water may take the baking soda off.

I just pull my glass out of the pickle with plastic tongs and rinse. I only neutralise the pickle when I'm ready to rinse it down the drain, I reuse it several times.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-03-12, 8:38am

Again, I'm not the OP. I was just detailing how I was cleaning my glass. I prefer to dunk it into the baking soda bath just because. Everything I have cleaned sparkles like diamonds in sunlight. I haven't had a chance to melt any of it yet but I can hardly WAIT to try the clear. It's never been so clean, not even when I ran it all through the dishwasher.