Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-31, 1:50pm

thanks you sara

is it durable its blade disk?(do you think is it durable than a band saw blade?)

ciao

"secret of success?...passion & experience"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-31, 3:29pm

Not sure on that Domenico..... I think Craig told me replacements are around $40 US and he gave me some tips on how to use it and care for it. It's wonderful because it takes off only tiny bits of material so you can get a lot out of your piece. I am loving it!
Old 2009-01-01, 3:43pm

Smile

Hi little birdie...um, I mean Sara Sally! Sara is very innovative in her jewelry styling, Domenico! You should check out her work.

Okay, so here are a few books I recommend on mosaic and murrine:

"Venitian Glass Mosaics 1860-1917", by Sheldon Barr
http://www.amazon.com/Venetian-Glass...0850166&sr=1-1

"The Gilbert Collection Micromosaics", by Jeanette Hanisee Gabriel
http://www.amazon.com/Micromosaics-C...0850083&sr=1-1

and "Designs in Miniature" The story of Mosaic Glass", by Jutta-Annette Bruhn
http://www.amazon.com/Designs-Miniat...0849923&sr=1-2 This latter book, is the one mostly concentrating on murrine. The other are fabulous for the micro mosaics.

Ofilia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2009-01-01 at 3:53pm.
Old 2009-01-25, 2:46pm

Wink

Yeah , got a nice image of my Dona murrine chopper. This one requires a slight tap on the top center nob with
a rubber mallet ! Super sweet.....

Front view

Back view of guilletine opening

Ofilia

Last edited by Ofilia; 2009-01-27 at 5:47am.
Old 2009-01-27, 1:41am
Formerly known as LT

Ofilia, That's a nice looking tool! Oh I think I want one!! What is the largest size cane you can cut cleanly with this tool?

Old 2009-01-27, 5:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldt's Glass View Post
Ofilia, That's a nice looking tool! Oh I think I want one!! What is the largest size cane you can cut cleanly with this tool?
Hi Londa, I'd have to measure when I get home, to be exact, but I put some pretty fat cane in there! It weighs a TON !! The metal base is solid..... To catch the chips, I learned by watching Vittorio (who has a very similar chopper) just have a plastic shopping bag propped open ready to catch the projectiles!

Ofilia

Old 2009-01-27, 10:17am
Temptress

Really cool looking tool Ofilia. Do you know where I can get one of them?
Old 2009-01-27, 10:35am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
Really cool looking tool Ofilia. Do you know where I can get one of them?
Carlo Dona's shop in Murano, Italy! That's where I got mine, only you may need to pre-order it. It's not something that he has a lot of. I got lucky one year when I spotted it.

Ofilia

Old 2009-01-27, 10:54am
Temptress

I don't suppose you have an email or a link do you?
Old 2009-01-27, 4:47pm

Smile

Hi Julie, Roberto is a funny man. As much as they are hurting for sales with these hard economic times, he will not sell or ship abroad. He only wants to have one "rep" and that is Spiral Arts. I've tried to tell him over and over how he is hurting himself by limiting who sells his wares abroad, but he is typical of the very "loyal" customs of his heritage.

By 'ordering ahead', is that if you plan to visit Murano, you can request what tools you would like to purchase in advance so he has a heads up on the request, especially a piece like this that is not normally stocked.

Personally, I think a trip to Italy is well worth the savings you can make then if you bought the tools from a dealer..... Go straight to the source and experience the biggest smile from a very sweet and sexy Italian!

Ofilia

Old 2009-01-27, 7:25pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldt's Glass View Post
Hi Londa, the setting I have it at, it sits at about 13mm open. I can be adjusted, but I've never messed with the settings.

It weighs at around 13 pounds. Very heavy and sturdy!

Ofiila

Old 2009-01-27, 7:31pm
Satake Woman!

Dang, I really want a murrini chopper, but I can't afford one right now. Guess I'll have to stick with making smaller murrini for a while!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2009-01-27, 7:35pm
runs with pruning shears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofilia View Post

Personally, I think a trip to Italy is well worth the savings you can make then if you bought the tools from a dealer..... Go straight to the source and experience the biggest smile from a very sweet and sexy Italian!

Ofilia
Don't listen ! You will spend way more than you save. Save on tools, spend on glass, save on glass, spend on food. (you get the picture)

Ofilia will accept anything as an excuse to go to Italy
and beyond that, finds high quality tools irresisitable.
(your secret's out chicky)
Old 2009-01-27, 8:46pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Ofilia will accept anything as an excuse to go to Italy
and beyond that, finds high quality tools irresisitable.
(your secret's out chicky)

Who, meeeeee!....... impossible.....

Old 2009-03-18, 8:12am
Temptress

So if you had a choice, which would be a better pick - a chopper just like Ofilia's or an MK470? Any opinions greatly appreciated as the price difference between the two is almost $500.
Old 2009-03-26, 12:36pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
So if you had a choice, which would be a better pick - a chopper just like Ofilia's or an MK470? Any opinions greatly appreciated as the price difference between the two is almost $500.
Hi Julie, definately for large diametre cane, the band saw or the MK radial saw will be better. You will have more loss of glass due to the thickness of the blades, and more polishing to do due to the diamond abrasions, but definately what you need for really large millefiori cane. Anything a-la-Loren-Stump finished cane would need a saw and not a chopper.

Ofilia

Old 2009-04-06, 12:30am
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
Libby: That is it!!!!!!!!!!!! Or very similar, considering mine is about four years old now. THIS IS A VERY GOOD PRICE TOO!!!! Has a little light that shines on the blade itself so you always see where you're going. Variable speed on the cutting blade. Easily adjustable cutting bed. Hmmm, what else? It's red!!!!!!!!!!!! (My favorite!) If you work with murrini a lot, this is the best tool ever!

I guess you didn't see, Miss Libby, that I volunteered over on the other thread, that you can send yours to me, I'll slice it all up, and hand-deliver it to MGE!!!

Best,
Lea
HI Lea,

Is this tool also sable for making surface cuts on beads?? For example those pretty cut beads Pinar makes.

Thanks
Chrissy

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2018-11-10, 8:21pm

Can you post a link of the saw please Lea Zinke
https://www.diamondsaws.com/catalog/...iamond-bandsaw or
https://www.diamondsaws.com/catalog/...000-xl-bandsaw
Old 2018-11-12, 6:56pm
Naysayer

this is 10 years old, she might not see your post

That chopper is cool though